Gibson Brands Forums

Cherry Dot - What's not to like?

J4T5

I've been playing my new used Cherry Epi Dot and thinkin' this thing is great just the way it is.

I was considering doing some mods but to tell you the truth it's great stock. I'm even liking the stock knobs.

Plug into a blackface Deluxe Reverb - I'm totally happy! ReallY. [biggrin]

156810055.jpg

I've been playing my new used Cherry Epi Dot and thinkin' this thing is great just the way it is.

I was considering doing some mods but to tell you the truth it's great stock. I'm even liking the stock knobs.

156810055.jpg

There's an old saying "If it works (for you), don't fix it."

I love the color. msp_thumbup.gif

Right you are! Although I purchased mine new about 6 months ago. I ended up changing the pickups to Parson Street Alnico 5 in the neck and Alnico 2 in the bridge, new pots, switch, jack and wiring, and it sounds great. My dot plays very well with both my Mustang III and Blues Deluxe Reissue amps. Takes OD pedals very well and can really grind it out! Very pleased with this guitar!

100_0869.jpg

I have two relatively late model Dots. Cherry and sunburst.

I don't see any reason in the world to mod either, although... I wonder sometimes about P90s or Gretschy-type pups on the sunburst.

Just ain't seemed important enough to do, though.

m

Ironically, the only thing I don't like about the Dot is the dots.

Yes, a bit more than the dot inlay would be nice. That would also mean we wouldn't have to call it the "Dot," which would be another plus. Mine needed a good setup out of the box, but after that, it is one super guitar.

lpp381.jpg

...Well there always this one at $349

What???!!! Oh, I see MF has the ebony for $349. The cherry, natural, and sunburst are $399. But these are Limited Edition! Either way, what a great deal for a great guitar!

@ Cougar, your Dot looks great! The cherry finish looks like cherry finish.

I gotta agree :) The grain even has a number of bird's eyes scattered around. This guitar is solid, and sweet sounding.

Yes, a bit more than the dot inlay would be nice. That would also mean we wouldn't have to call it the "Dot," which would be another plus. Mine needed a good setup out of the box, but after that, it is one super guitar.

lpp381.jpg

Beautiful! I changed the knobs to the black reflector type just to see what it looked like - looked great but put the other stock ones back on. It's just has a great looking guitar right out of the box.

156810055.jpg

Congrats, HNGD, nice looking ES! [thumbup]

There's an old saying "If it works (for you), don't fix it."

I love the color. msp_thumbup.gif

[biggrin][thumbup]

Ironically, the only thing I don't like about the Dot is the dots. I thought the pinnacle of this guitar was the ES 335 TD with block inlays. The guitar is just too pretty to have dot inlays.

I dunno... I think blocks might be okay on the sunburst ... but on the black and cherry? The bodies are so pretty the blocks might kinda detract.

m

Apparently a matter of the beauty being in the eye of the beholder. My eyes are rather dots than blocks though [biggrin]

156922396.jpg

Well there always this one at $349

I guess the matching nickname would be "The Block" [rolleyes]

;)

Archived