Gibson Brands Forums

2015 Les Paul Special Double Cut-Away

darling67

:-k

[-(

[blush]

Look at an existing pic of a LP Special double-cut… remove the pick guard... remove two knobs... envision a "0" fret… dot neck… and you're there! [laugh]

I am sure images will be released soon. I got the GC September buyer's guide in the mail last week. October will be arriving same time next month.

[blush]

Look at an existing pic of a LP Special double-cut… remove the pick guard... remove two knobs... envision a "0" fret… dot neck… and you're there! [laugh]

I am sure images will be released soon. I got the GC September buyer's guide in the mail last week. October will be arriving same time next month.

Gibson_1959_Les_Paul_Special_DC_Cherry_910326_a.jpg

I'm not sure I would like one without a pickguard or with only two knobs :mellow:

I'm looking forward to seeing the snaps, too.

Two knobs rather than four? Hmmm.....

I'd like to try that configuration out to see how much of a hinderance it is. Or not, as the case may be.

I rarely use the mid-position and when I do I usually have to adjust something somewhere to get what I want in any case so it might not be a 'biggie' for me.

Adding a 'guard is likely to be a simple matter - assuming the measurements p'up-wise and so on are the 'usual'.

Even drilling/routing out some space for an extra pair of pots wouldn't be too tricky and it's not as if we would be disfiguring a '59 'burst by doing so...

Speaking of which and going off at a crazy tangent for a bit (just for a change)...

One of the guys that answered on that same thread reckons that Gibson have a load of original 1950s PAF humbuckers that have never been used and will feature on some of the re-issue models in 2015...

For those interested, here's the relevant quote;

"Also, a new secret for 2015 is the 'box' of original burst pickups that were shoved in a back closet in 1959, which were made for production but never made it. A un-labeled and unknown lottery system will be implemented for '15 reissues which will feature REAL, honest to god, 55yr old PAF pickups that have NEVER been used..."

...You can't seriously believe there's some magic shoebox with PAFs in it. Still. And they know where it is. Still. The "missing PAFs" story is just as dumb in 2014 as it was back when they had only moved once and had only one fire...

I must admit I share your scepticism to a very high degree and I strongly suspect the guy on the Marshall forum was talking tongue-in-cheek.

For one thing; he claims that the p'ups in question were made in '59 but 'shoved in a back closet' and never made it onto the guitars on the production-line. Really? Why not?

PAFs continued to be Standard fare (pun) until the introduction of the Pat. No. version in 1962 and, in any case, these were identical to the short-magnet PAFs - waterslide excepted.

Be that as it may; here's a related tidbit from the past (courtesy Tony Bacon's excellent book on the LP) for those people interested in trivia and with a bit of time to spare....

A chap called Timm Kummer joined Guitar Trader as Manager in the late '70s.

Dissatisfied with the accuracy of the well-intentioned KM and Heritage series "1959-style Re-Issues" Guitar Trader struck a deal with Gibson whereby GT would supply Gibson with the exact dimensions and specs they required and the instruments would be made as a special, exclusive, run for them at the old Parson's Street plant in Kalamazoo for release in mid-1982.

These instruments would feature highly-figured book-matched tops; original-style hardware (ABR-1; not Nashville); ink-stamped serial numbers; properly 'dished' top etc., etc.

Guitar Trader added that if you pre-ordered your "59 Flametop" for summer delivery then they would install original '50s PAF pickups 'subject to availability'.

Kummer estimated that this happened for the first 15 customers.

Now, I know 1982 is a far cry from 2014 but it's still an interesting story.

One distinct advantage back then was the fact that the instruments were being crafted and assembled at Parson's Street where it's feasible that there were some leftover parts in that proverbial 'shoebox' mentioned by rct.

But 50+ years after the PAF was replaced by the Pat No.? Just how many NOS p'ups did they have left in that shoebox?

In the above tale the first 15 lucky souls received PAFs. As there were 53 Guitar Trader '59s built to order that leaves 38 folks who did not get PAFs.

Why not?

If they existed and Gibson had them to hand why were they not installed in these guitars - as the ads suggested they would be?

I don't know the full facts (obviously) and it is, of course, possible that Gibson kept some back so as not to give away all the goodies 'once and for all' but the story still sounds slightly too-good-to-be-true.

I look forward to hearing more on this subject...

P.

I'm looking forward to seeing the snaps, too.

Two knobs rather than four? Hmmm.....

I'd like to try that configuration out to see how much of a hinderance it is. Or not, as the case may be.

I rarely use the mid-position and when I do I usually have to adjust something somewhere to get what I want in any case so it might not be a 'biggie' for me.

Adding a 'guard is likely to be a simple matter - assuming the measurements p'up-wise and so on are the 'usual'.

Even drilling/routing out some space for an extra pair of pots wouldn't be too tricky and it's not as if we would be disfiguring a '59 'burst by doing so...

Speaking of which and going off at a crazy tangent for a bit (just for a change)...

For those interested, here's the relevant quote;

"Also, a new secret for 2015 is the 'box' of original burst pickups that were shoved in a back closet in 1959, which were made for production but never made it. A un-labeled and unknown lottery system will be implemented for '15 reissues which will feature REAL, honest to god, 55yr old PAF pickups that have NEVER been used..."

I must admit I share your scepticism to a very high degree and I strongly suspect the guy on the Marshall forum was talking tongue-in-cheek.

For one thing; he claims that the p'ups in question were made in '59 but 'shoved in a back closet' and never made it onto the guitars on the production-line. Really? Why not?

PAFs continued to be Standard fare (pun) until the introduction of the Pat. No. version in 1962 and, in any case, these were identical to the short-magnet PAFs - waterslide excepted.

Be that as it may; here's a related tidbit from the past (courtesy Tony Bacon's excellent book on the LP) for those people interested in trivia and with a bit of time to spare....

A chap called Timm Kummer joined Guitar Trader as Manager in the late '70s.

Dissatisfied with the accuracy of the well-intentioned KM and Heritage series "1959-style Re-Issues" Guitar Trader struck a deal with Gibson whereby GT would supply Gibson with the exact dimensions and specs they required and the instruments would be made as a special, exclusive, run for them at the old Parson's Street plant in Kalamazoo for release in mid-1982.

These instruments would feature highly-figured book-matched tops; original-style hardware (ABR-1; not Nashville); ink-stamped serial numbers; properly 'dished' top etc., etc.

Guitar Trader added that if you pre-ordered your "59 Flametop" for summer delivery then they would install original '50s PAF pickups 'subject to availability'.

Kummer estimated that this happened for the first 15 customers.

Now, I know 1982 is a far cry from 2014 but it's still an interesting story.

One distinct advantage back then was the fact that the instruments were being crafted and assembled at Parson's Street where it's feasible that there were some leftover parts in that proverbial 'shoebox' mentioned by rct.

But 50+ years after the PAF was replaced by the Pat No.? Just how many NOS p'ups did they have left in that shoebox?

In the above tale the first 15 lucky souls received PAFs. As there were 53 Guitar Trader '59s built to order that leaves 38 folks who did not get PAFs.

Why not?

If they existed and Gibson had them to hand why were they not installed in these guitars - as the ads suggested they would be?

I don't know the full facts (obviously) and it is, of course, possible that Gibson kept some back so as not to give away all the goodies 'once and for all' but the story still sounds slightly too-good-to-be-true.

I look forward to hearing more on this subject...

P.

[thumbup]

Ok so what the hell is that nut? And they all have robo's? And the weird les Paul 100 logo??? I don't know.....

The nut is a new adjustable metal zero fret nut... And the Les Paul 100 is to celebrate what would have been his 100th Birthday.

Gibson USA continues to raise the bar of Quality, Prestige and Innovation with the new line up of 2015 guitars. All Gibson USA guitars except for the Les Paul Supreme, Firebird and Derek Trucks SG will ship with the G-Force tuning system. Among many of the added features is the new Zero Fret Nut which is a patented applied for nut that has adjustable action capabilities. The new Tune-O-Matic Bridge features a hex wrench adjustment on thumbscrews for easy action adjustments. All guitars receive a professional set up with accurate intonation, and a new PLEK program with 27% lower fret wire. All models now have Pearloid Inlays and the fingerboard is a thicker one piece rosewood which is sanded and buffed with a new oil treatment for smoother and easier playability. To take it a step further Gibson USA has increased playing comfort by widened the neck and fingerboard by .050 per side. Spearing no expense, Gibson USA even changed the internal wires from 28 awg to 26 awg, along with a new and improved jack design and together they give you an improved uninterrupted signal. For 2015 Gibson will be producing gloss lacquer finishes and no more Satin or Vintage Gloss finishes. On top of all the upgrades Gibson USA did not stop there. They are now introducing a removable Les Paul pick guard with NO SCREWS NEEDED. In honor of Les Paul's 100th birthday all LP and SG guitars will carry the 100 logo on the headstock and a Les Paul Hologram on the back of the headstock for authenticity and tribute to the man himself. To wrap everything up, each 2015 Gibson USA guitar ships in a Gibson Hard Shell case.

1410134189[/url]' post='1561646']

The nut is a new adjustable metal zero fret nut... And the Les Paul 100 is to celebrate what would have been his 100th Birthday.

Gibson USA continues to raise the bar of Quality, Prestige and Innovation with the new line up of 2015 guitars. All Gibson USA guitars except for the Les Paul Supreme, Firebird and Derek Trucks SG will ship with the G-Force tuning system. Among many of the added features is the new Zero Fret Nut which is a patented applied for nut that has adjustable action capabilities. The new Tune-O-Matic Bridge features a hex wrench adjustment on thumbscrews for easy action adjustments. All guitars receive a professional set up with accurate intonation, and a new PLEK program with 27% lower fret wire. All models now have Pearloid Inlays and the fingerboard is a thicker one piece rosewood which is sanded and buffed with a new oil treatment for smoother and easier playability. To take it a step further Gibson USA has increased playing comfort by widened the neck and fingerboard by .050 per side. Spearing no expense, Gibson USA even changed the internal wires from 28 awg to 26 awg, along with a new and improved jack design and together they give you an improved uninterrupted signal. For 2015 Gibson will be producing gloss lacquer finishes and no more Satin or Vintage Gloss finishes. On top of all the upgrades Gibson USA did not stop there. They are now introducing a removable Les Paul pick guard with NO SCREWS NEEDED. In honor of Les Paul's 100th birthday all LP and SG guitars will carry the 100 logo on the headstock and a Les Paul Hologram on the back of the headstock for authenticity and tribute to the man himself. To wrap everything up, each 2015 Gibson USA guitar ships in a Gibson Hard Shell case.

Interested to find out more about that nut, I'll have to see it in person, see how it sounds.

Interested to find out more about that nut, I'll have to see it in person, see how it sounds.

Yeah im interested in it too...

The zero fret is an interesting idea... Which I believe is that when you are playing open strings they will sound the same as when you are fretting since they are still contacting metal like when you are fretting..

It will be interesting to see and hear exactly how they work.. and it seems all of the 2015 models will come with it.

I'd have posted pics sooner, but I was trying to be ethical.

Amazon went ahead and posted the 2015 line even though they're not even available for order... not on Gibson's own "Products" page yet—nor any other musical instrument dealer's web site for that matter.

But there they are! I am definitely getting the LP Special Double Cut in the Cherry finish. Will add a black pick guard to it. The "tobacco burst" (or whatever the official burst name will be) looks cool, for sure. But I've got enough "burst" guitars already. It's time for a classic Cherry guitar!

Archived