Gibson Brands Forums

Second Opinion

radd_dude

Personally, I think all trems are more trouble than they're worth so, if I were you, I'd think about how much I'd be using it. Not trying to be a smartass here but you should also ask yourself if you want it just for looks; sure, they look cool but is the tradeoff for functionality worth it? Certainly, plenty of guitar players use Bigsby trems with great success but I just don't have a lot of patience for trems so take my advice with a grain of salt.

No trems for me... Im with Rich... I too think they are more trouble than they are worth.

But, as I rest my hand on the bridge 75% of the time, if I use a trem it is either a bigsby or a stetsbar... (I think I would use a maestro if I needed to, but its improbable).

For a lester I would go with a bigsby b7 tho... I think B5s look better on SGs and teles.

I'm with most of you guys. The idea of drilling into a gorgeous original LP just gives me the shivers.:-k

Have you ever seen one in a second hand shop that has had the Bigsby removed? They look like a piece of s*#t and are very hard to sell. Once you do it there is no goin' back.:P

However, if you love the wammy bar and have got other LPs so spare, that may be different.:D/

If Les Paul wanted a bigsby on your LP' date=' it would have one already.[/quote']

I agree, and I might add that most recent youtube cuts of him show him with a Bigsby on his axe.

One example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh5z16mQ4is&feature=channel

The very first modification that goes on any guitar I own is a Bigsby.

It is not for appearance, but because there are just some sounds that can only be found with the Bigsby tailpiece.

IMHO, a guitar is not totally ready to make music unless it has a Bigsby.

I buy guitars to play them, not as an investment, but then I'm just a musician so what do I know?

8)

I highly recommend the ZZ Guitarworks system if you're on the fence about a Bigsby. It lets you mount the B5 to the guitar with NO permanent modifications. If you end up not liking it' date=' you can restore the guitar on your next string change.

Click for ZZ Guitarworks site - http://www.zzguitarworks.com

That's a great idea.... Do you have one of those? Does your guitar stay in tune when using it? I don't like the way a Bigsby looks, too clunky looking... I do like the look of the Lyre Maestro tremeolo though, look much slicker... just a comment...

Archived