Gibson Brands Forums

HNGD !!!

brad1

It's an SGJ. They are on sale right now for an unbelievably low price, and I just couldn't pass it up.

And I am sooo glad I didn't. I LOVE THIS GUITAR!!!!!!!!

What a great guitar! I love the finish, Fireburst Satin. The neck is perfect. It needed no set up out of the box.

However I wanted to put on 10s and lower the bridge somewhat. So I did. And now it's even better.

No buzzes anywhere. No scratches, or imperfections of any kind that I can detect.

It came with a graphtech nut that is really nice. Putting on 10s didn't require any mods to the nut.

The 61 Zebras are great sounding pups IMO. I think the gold logo on the headstock looks good too.

My plans were to put covers on the pups and change the knobs. But I must say...the longer I have it...the more I kinda like the way it looks.

And it sounds fantastic. My G400 is a little darker sounding. The SGJ has a maple neck (instead of mahogany like the g400), and has 24 frets.

Is there a better guitar you can buy right now for $489? I don't think there is.

Here are the required pics...

722f6132-f771-4a05-81c0-eda52d6d7917_zps3b6087ad.jpg IMG_0620_zps9d6d5259.jpg

IMG_0601_zps6535cf15.jpg 33f35ce7-b224-40fd-821c-ccb5439f8eb6_zps52cbf344.jpg

b171f89c-67f4-4ed8-8b07-374e80b96013_zps9f6b1312.jpg 4afc61a4-6d47-4023-9237-94c69648ff6b_zps10483b6b.jpg

IMG_0627_zps5f921b8d.jpg

IMG_0576_zps8f385f20.jpg

My SG Family

IMG_0632_zps3d956ce8.jpg

What a surprise - a Gibson guitar in an Epi subforum. [biggrin] Beautiful catch though, HNGD, congrats on a Gibby at an Epi price! =D> =D> =D>[thumbup]

Looks darn nice, and I guess she deserves a hardcase. Did you get one for her?

Thanks Cap!

Yeah I did it on purpose. I know so many more of the Epi folks at the site.

And of course I wanted to give you guys a bunch of GAS!

I guess I should have put it in the Lounge. Oh well...

No case. I could not afford to buy one right now, so I risked it. And I was very lucky it got here from Indiana in excellent condition.

I got it from GC. I did get a free "Deluxe Gig Bag" with it. It's the nicest Gig bag I've ever seen.

That's about the nicest thing I can say about it. :rolleyes:

Wait a minute. That's a new Gibson SGJ, with a banner on the fretboard, for $489? Wow. [thumbup]

That was my first reaction as well. [thumbup]

Congrats! I've been eyeballing that page in the catalog :)

Thank You!

Me too! And the GAS was too much! [biggrin]

She's just beautiful-mahogany top and body?For that price they should have wrapped up in fancy paper and put ribbons on it,because it was certainly a gift.Without the pup covers she looks like she could have a really raunchy snarl but once you get the covers on them she'll no doubt take people by surprise when they hear the heavy tone coming from such a pretty little thing.Congrats and enjoy the newest member of your guitarsenal.

damn fine guitar Brad !!

I like the burst and the FB grain is off the charts !

Thanks very much!

They did send me one with some nice looking wood, didn't they? Having a hard time not looking at it when I'm not playing it.

But rest assured Mr. B.....I am playin' it like I stole it! [thumbup]

She's just beautiful-mahogany top and body?For that price they should have wrapped up in fancy paper and put ribbons on it,because it was certainly a gift.Without the pup covers she looks like she could have a really raunchy snarl but once you get the covers on them she'll no doubt take people by surprise when they hear the heavy tone coming from such a pretty little thing.Congrats and enjoy the newest member of your guitarsenal.

Thanks Bonzoboy! Yep, it's a mahogany body, and a maple neck.

Looks like the body is made of 3 pieces.

It's quite light. Only weighs 6.87 lbs. My G400 weighs 8 lbs.

Hey great guitar you have there. I have a a 2014 Gibson Futura SG. They are great guitars

Thanks!

Are those Futuras the ones with the bucker in the back and a P90 in the neck?

If so, I would really like to play one of those someday. They look very inviting! [biggrin]

Thanks!

Are those Futuras the ones with the bucker in the back and a P90 in the neck?

If so, I would really like to play one of those someday. They look very inviting! [biggrin]

Yes it does the p90 sidewinder is like nothing i ever heard . I didn't buy it for the auto tunes i got it for its pickup set up great sounding guitar . I will put a picture of it up later i got it in the Pacific Blue I love how it fades from dark to light and the wood work shows . Its a lot of guitar for a 1000. bucks.The Set up is great and the fit and finish i flawless. And i like the SG with out a lot of clear As you i just love guitars..

Yes it does the p90 sidewinder is like nothing i ever heard . I didn't buy it for the auto tunes i got it for its pickup set up great sounding guitar . I will put a picture of it up later i got it in the Pacific Blue I love how it fades from dark to light and the wood work shows . Its a lot of guitar for a 1000. bucks.The Set up is great and the fit and finish i flawless. And i like the SG with out a lot of clear As you i just love guitars..

Yeah post some pics for sure. I'd love to see it! [thumbup]

I have my new SG sitting in its stand right beside my TV set as I watch football. That way I can stare at it between plays and during commercials.

And as you can see, my cat Sydney has taken a shine to the guitar also. [biggrin]

9542e77d-6356-4954-a765-b7a7d9c2c283_zps03777e4c.jpg

I almost bought one today, but they had the cherry and vintage, not like Brad's ...

However, the '61 pups rock!

Kind of a dilemma for me. I'm thinking of one of these as a platform for SD P-Rails with TS Rings. The '61s sounded too good to yank.

Maybe I'll pick one and play it for a while, then decide whether to go ahead with p-rails ... damn first-world problems :)

I almost bought one today, but they had the cherry and vintage, not like Brad's ...

Kind of a dilemma for me. I'm thinking of one of these as a platform for SD P-Rails with TS Rings. The '61s sounded too good to yank.

Maybe I'll pick one and play it for a while, then decide whether to go ahead with p-rails ... damn first-world problems :)

Yeah I think the Fireburst is the best of the bunch myself. But I have noticed that selection is sold out at a lot of places.

Hey, you can't go wrong with the P-rails. Whatever you decide, I think getting one now might be wise.

I have a feeling that by November they will probably be back to $544, or maybe even $599.

I built my '14 SG Standard with the P-Rails and Triple Shot rings. I can give you some pointers on a few tricky installation issues if you choose to go that route. Very much worth it IMO. Sorry to get off topic-nice guitar, OP, and congrats!

Sorry to get off topic-nice guitar, OP, and congrats!

No problem. Thank you!

Buying this guitar has led to so many unexpected consequences. I am learning so much from this guitar.

These zebras have Alnico V magnets in them. They are very bright, articulate and responsive. They are very different from all the other humbuckers I have in my other guitars. So it's almost like having to start over again. I am learning how to use these with different pedals, and in different configurations.

And for the first time I am using the controls on my guitar- a lot!

They are so responsive too. There is a big difference when you move the toggle switch.

And now I can really use the volume and tone pots. And there is a significant difference when I do!

You don't have to move the volume much at all to clean up the tone. I'm using the tone knobs a lot also to get

some great sounds. It's so much fun! [thumbup]

Archived