Gibson Brands Forums

Hoist one for Scotland today...

rct

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok Ian - what's the car the last photo is taken from?...

At a guess I'd say that is a British racing green Jaguar XK140. Am I right?...

The clue (three of them!) is in the previous photo...

I'm trying to work out where that harbour town is. It looks like somewhere on the Fife coast such as Pittenweem, Anstruther or Crail but I'm 99% sure it's neither of those...

And which Castle is that flying the Lion Rampant?

Nice snaps, Ian!

P.

EDIT : I've just noticed there IS an XK 140 (or possibly an XK 120) FHC in the snap, too! Spooky!

Yes, the car's a Morgan LeMans 62, one of 80 built. The ruined Castle, I can't remember the name of (even though I walk up to it every year) pictures 2 & 3 are Troup Head the Village, which you can just make out, in pic 2 is Pennan, made famous in the 80's film Local Hero, the Harbour town is Portsoy and the castle & drive in pics 5 & 6 are Ballandaloc who's owner graciously allows the annual car run to start from (he owns a rather nice 1930's Bentley and Legonda). He also owns a distillery, which I would imagine comes in very handy!

I love to go there at least once a year, it's a great place for driving and walking around.

Ian

Haggis - delicious, especially with a shot of whiskey poured in just after piercing. A real haggis would be illegal in the US and Canada so those of you in that part of the world have most likely not tried it, even if you think you have.

I'm curious exactly what would make a "real" haggis illegal here.

You do know there are actual Scottish people living here right?

And what may be illegal in a restaurant or grocery store as far as food handling is concerned is not stopping anyone from buying and slaughtering their own animal and eat any parts of it they so desire.

We do have agriculture here.

The province I live in is large enough to span from Washington to LA.

There are more people living in San Diego than my entire province. Mostly prairies here so farmland for miles.

I can buy whatever I want from any local farmer laws be damned. I used to buy all my birds off a farmer. He died and I lost

that connection but there are still plenty of others selling birds.

My old butcher's mother would supply him with lamb every year, of which I bought the whole animal.

I have a Jamaican friend who buys goats. There is a butcher in town selling every part of the pig from the ears to the uterus.

I'm not sure what part of haggis would be considered illegal here. Other than commercial food handling.

The awful part, which is all of it...

[laugh]

You 'merikkuns and your quaint spellings.....

That's "OhEffEffAyEll".

I'm curious exactly what would make a "real" haggis illegal here...?

Nor me. Errm...I mean; Me Too!

The traditional ingredients were the bits of a lamb/sheep which didn't fetch much money at 'market'.

Typically this would consist of the offal (heart, lungs and liver of the animal) which would be minced up together with onion and suet.

A grain such as oats or barley would be added to the mix which would then be seasoned well with salt and pepper - quite a bit of the latter.

That's it.

There would not normally be any regular 'meat' (as we usually understand the term) as this would be 'too valuable' in the farmer's opinion to squander on a 'mealy pudding'.

In more recent years various herbs and other spices have been included as and when the butcher considers fit. There's little doubt there would have been herbs used centuries back, too, depending on what grew where but, as always with herbs and spices, they are there more to add interest and a bit of flavour rather than as an essential ingredient.

P.

On a lighter note, here's a few photo's of Scotland from this years trip, I'm just glad that I won't need my passport in future years.

Poor photography I know, but an outstandingly beautiful subject.

Ian

Thanks for posting these pics! I SO want to go to Scotland someday… sighhhhh…..

And the photography is just fine!

Could you please enlighten me as to this, then?

Tartan Registry

Well, without wishing to start a bunfight it all depends on one's interpretation of the word 'tartan'.

Fabrics woven with various checked patterns date back to Roman times and some of these designs have been found to be at least 2,000 years old.

Although multi-coloured check-pattern 'tartan' cloths have been worn in Scotland for at least 500 years 'official clan tartans' are a relatively recent convention.

The kilt, as we know it, was pretty much invented during the reign of, I believe, George III (?) but the 'fashion' for tartan really took off during the Victorian era - about 150 years ago.

Originally the cloth worn would be just one very long swathe of fabric which served as a blanket at night and as 'clothes' by day.

The wearer would lay the cloth out flat; gather it in somewhat around the middle; lie down there and wrap the rest of the length around himself - almost as we would wind a towel around our waist when we get out of the bath.

But that isn't to say that the history of Tartan in Scottish dress is uninteresting and without huge dollops of history; far from it.

It's just that check-patterned cloth has been around for a very, very long time.

P.

Guest Farnsbarns

I'm curious exactly what would make a "real" haggis illegal here.

You do know there are actual Scottish people living here right?

And what may be illegal in a restaurant or grocery store as far as food handling is concerned is not stopping anyone from buying and slaughtering their own animal and eat any parts of it they so desire.

We do have agriculture here.

The province I live in is large enough to span from Washington to LA.

There are more people living in San Diego than my entire province. Mostly prairies here so farmland for miles.

I can buy whatever I want from any local farmer laws be damned. I used to buy all my birds off a farmer. He died and I lost

that connection but there are still plenty of others selling birds.

My old butcher's mother would supply him with lamb every year, of which I bought the whole animal.

I have a Jamaican friend who buys goats. There is a butcher in town selling every part of the pig from the ears to the uterus.

I'm not sure what part of haggis would be considered illegal here. Other than commercial food handling.

[laugh]

You 'merikkuns and your quaint spellings.....

That's "OhEffEffAyEll".

Nor me. Errm...I mean; Me Too!

The traditional ingredients were the bits of a lamb/sheep which didn't fetch much money at 'market'.

Typically this would consist of the offal (heart, lungs and liver of the animal) which would be minced up together with onion and suet.

A grain such as oats or barley would be added to the mix which would then be seasoned well with salt and pepper - quite a bit of the latter.

That's it.

There would not normally be any regular 'meat' (as we usually understand the term) as this would be 'too valuable' in the farmer's opinion to squander on a 'mealy pudding'.

In more recent years various herbs and other spices have been included as and when the butcher considers fit. There's little doubt there would have been herbs used centuries back, too, depending on what grew where but, as always with herbs and spices, they are there more to add interest and a bit of flavour rather than as an essential ingredient.

P.

I find it weird too but it was on QI so it is simply fact! Joking aside, it seems it was banned in 1971, quite arbitrarily, for containing sheep's lungs. Don't shoot the messenger! [confused]

Well, without wishing to start a bunfight it all depends on one's interpretation of the word 'tartan'.

Fabrics woven with various checked patterns date back to Roman times and some of these designs have been found to be at least 2,000 years old.

Although multi-coloured check-pattern 'tartan' cloths have been worn in Scotland for at least 500 years 'official clan tartans' are a relatively recent convention.

The kilt, as we know it, was pretty much invented during the reign of, I believe, George III (?) but the 'fashion' for tartan really took off during the Victorian era - about 150 years ago.

Originally the cloth worn would be just one very long swathe of fabric which served as a blanket at night and as 'clothes' by day.

The wearer would lay the cloth out flat; gather it in somewhat around the middle; lie down there and wrap the rest of the length around himself - almost as we would wind a towel around our waist when we get out of the bath.

But that isn't to say that the history of Tartan in Scottish dress is uninteresting and without huge dollops of history; far from it.

It's just that check-patterned cloth has been around for a very, very long time.

P.

Thanks pippy. The question wasn't asked to cause any strife. Do you think it became more Scottish after 1688?

I assure I am not poking fun at anyone without including myself.

Ok Ian - what's the car the last photo is taken from?

At a guess I'd say that is a British racing green Jaguar XK140. Am I right?

If so, I am intensely jealous.

If your interested in Jaguar sports cars, here's an interesting little film featuring AC/Dc's Brian Johnson:

http://home.bt.com/lifestyle/motoring/motoringfeatures/jaguars-perfect-10-in-pictures-11363933819931

Ian

Thankyou for your post Mr P...

I have no problem with Morris Dancing...although preferring the slightly rarer instances when women dance alongside the men...

The tunes are usually excellent, often played on the accordion...drawing from the English,Welsh,Scottish and Irish repertoire... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

Thankyou for your post Mr P...

I have no problem with Morris Dancing...although preferring the slightly rarer instances when women dance alongside the men...

The tunes are usually excellent, often played on the accordion...drawing from the English,Welsh,Scottish and Irish repertoire... [thumbup]

Glad you enjoyed it, V.

IMO Morris Dancing is just one of the many things which makes Britain....erm....Britain! I'm rather fond of it myself - albeit as a spectator rather than a participant.

Like much in life context counts for a lot. Seeing Morris Dancers in situ on a warm Summer's afternoon in the wilds of wherever enjoying a pint of Best is pretty much perfect.

As you mention; the music is almost always jolly fare combining elements from all-sides.

My father happened to be, in his spare time, an accordionist (he was the soloist at 19) in a Scottish Country Dance band so I'm pretty familiar with the territory thereabouts, too.

What's not to like?

[thumbup]

P.

Archived