Gibson Brands Forums

Best Gibson for fingerstyle

tinman1

I know this is subjective but suggestions would be welcome.

I'm starting to learn fingerstyle and haven't found a guitar that ticks all the boxes yet. My main issue is my very large hands/ fingers which seem to need a lot of space around the bridge for easy, clean fingerpicking.

I had a Seagull S6 with a large 1.8" nut that was quite easy to fingerpick on but was sold as it sounded very tinny and poor.

My current guitar is a Yamaha AC3M which is a very comfortable, excellent sounding strummer but I'm really struggling to fingerpick with the 1 11/16 nut....despite hours of practice. It comes down to physics and the nut and bridge are just a bit too crowded for my large fingertips.

Most Gibson appear to have a 1.72 nut (in between a 1 11/16 and 1 3/4 nut). Are any models in particular well suited to finger picking? J 45, Hummingbird, Songwriter, smaller bodied American Eagle etc.....any views?

Thanks in advance

Yeah, it all depends on who you ask. I fingerpick a lot and use all of my Gibsons. All are dreadnaught size or bigger. If I had to pick one, I'd likely go with the Hummingbird or J45, but that's more to do with the soft tone from bare fingers than playability. I find them all very easy to play and they all sound pretty darn good. Then again, the AJ is awesome. And, all of them have a fairly wide nut. I do agree with your viewpoint on the narrow nut. Too narrow and it can be a problem and a nuisance for me. I've sold guitars for that very reason.

Congrats on learning fingerstyle! As MissouriPicker said, you can fingerpick or play fingerstyle on any guitar. But there are guitars that lend themselves better than others for this style of play and I choose all my guitars based on how they respond to playing both fingerstyle and strumming, but predominantly fingerstyle. I play probably 80% fingerstyle on my J-35 (1.72 nut width) with no problem. I've also played J-45s and AJs fingerstyle with no problem. I think much depends on your hand size, finger length, dexterity, etc. I have fairly small hands and playing my Wechter 000 12 fret slothead with 1.875 nut can be a bit uncomfortable at times, but my Gibson, Guilds and Martins are fine. Aside from the feel, you'll want a guitar that lends itself tonally for fingerstyle with good clarity, balance and projection. I've found that a good, balanced articulate dread like the J-35 or J-15, or a smaller OM/000 shape like an L-1, LG-2AE or something similar would be a good choice. But I suggest playing as many Gibsons as possible and make your own decision as to what feels and sounds best to you.

Just curious, what type of 'fingerstyle' are you learning? Are you doing the basic Travis-picking style with alternating thumb in a set rhythm, or a more melodic, flowing fingerstyle bringing out melodies...or both?

DC

I have guitars in the house ranging from an 11" to 17" lower bout and I play them all with my fingers. As I have never gotten the hang of a flatpick or thumbpick I have no choice. Like MissouriPicker,I prefer a wide nut and string spread at the bridge but can a bit flexible which is a necessity with Gibsons as they are not overly generous at the bridge. But while others may fit the bill better when it comes to specs they do not sound like Gibsons.

Congrats on learning fingerstyle! As MissouriPicker said, you can fingerpick or play fingerstyle on any guitar. But there are guitars that lend themselves better than others for this style of play and I choose all my guitars based on how they respond to playing both fingerstyle and strumming, but predominantly fingerstyle. I play probably 80% fingerstyle on my J-35 (1.72 nut width) with no problem. I've also played J-45s and AJs fingerstyle with no problem. I think much depends on your hand size, finger length, dexterity, etc. I have fairly small hands and playing my Wechter 000 12 fret slothead with 1.875 nut can be a bit uncomfortable at times, but my Gibson, Guilds and Martins are fine. Aside from the feel, you'll want a guitar that lends itself tonally for fingerstyle with good clarity, balance and projection. I've found that a good, balanced articulate dread like the J-35 or J-15, or a smaller OM/000 shape like an L-1, LG-2AE or something similar would be a good choice. But I suggest playing as many Gibsons as possible and make your own decision as to what feels and sounds best to you.

Just curious, what type of 'fingerstyle' are you learning? Are you doing the basic Travis-picking style with alternating thumb in a set rhythm, or a more melodic, flowing fingerstyle bringing out melodies...or both?

DC

Thanks to all for replies.

I can already play a bit of index finger and thumb style simple blues stuff (big bill bronzy sort of thing). Its the James Taylor/ more classical sort of style (using more than two fingers) that I find difficult!

I guess I need to try a few out- not so easy where I live as no stores within 80miles stock Gibson.

I'm in the same boat, always looking for the wider necks and string spacing. The L-1 and the Keb Mo models are both 12-fretters with a wider nut - I had a very hard time choosing between these two! They both excel at finger style in my opinion. Eventually I chose the L-1 and am thrilled with it. Just so much personality in the thing. I've always wanted to try out the Jackson Browne too.

Photo%20Oct%2004%2C%2010%2048%2015%20AM.jpg?dl=0

I don't believe such an animal exists. Everyone plays differently and hear their playing differently. For me, every guitar is a finger-picking guitar. Likewise, almost every guitar is a strummer. I finger pick every guitar I own and don't reserve that for any one instrument. My best Gibson finger picking guitar is my J45 Southern Jumbo. Magical.

I generally use my thumb and two fingers when fingerpicking. Again, whatever works best for you. Some highly accomplished folks get by with just their thumb and index finger. Peter Yarrow of Peter,Paul & Mary fame is a pretty darn good fingerpicker and just uses his thumb and index. Fast or slow, he uses them...........Here's a song he wrote for Colon Cancer awareness after he had a scare. Gives a few good shots of his picking and the song is pretty clever....Keep picking. You'll develop your own style and technique....

Archived