Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson and Fender copies

ksdaddy

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Donny...

Yeah... I think perhaps I'm showing my age.

I carefully and by design do not use those things, especially on my android phone...

Then again, I'm an old grouch, so what might one expect?

<grin>

m

Donny...

Yeah... I think perhaps I'm showing my age.

I carefully and by design do not use those things, especially on my android phone...

Then again, I'm an old grouch, so what might one expect?

<grin>

m

I'd say yer a friendly old grouch.

yeah, maybe...

<grin>

But them as know me and my reference to my longtime partner and wife as "mean old woman" have suggested that it's been 40 years with me that caused it.

At least she's quite skilled enough that she'd never, ever, shoot me by accident.

m

yeah, maybe...

<grin>

But them as know me and my reference to my longtime partner and wife as "mean old woman" have suggested that it's been 40 years with me that caused it.

At least she's quite skilled enough that she'd never, ever, shoot me by accident.

m

THAT'S funny. Quality comedy there.

Ive had a number of Fenders over the years. Mostly basses. At the moment I have two Fender basses. A american made 1983 Fullerton 62 reissue Pbass and a recent Squire 5 string Jazz bass. Frankly I wouldnt give you more that $200 for anything Fender makes these days as there isn't $25 difference between the American made bass and the Korean made one.

I think it's important to remember that Leo Fender made cheap guitars. He designed them to be easy to mass produce with unskilled labor on an assembly line. In that respect the $150 Squire is a lot closer to Leos vision that a $2500 Strat.

LOL..... At least it remained civil [biggrin]

You really think Wuthering Heights was civil? Personaly, I would have cheerfully strangled Heathcliffe with my bare hands...and Cathy come to think of it...

Ive had a number of Fenders over the years. Mostly basses. At the moment I have two Fender basses. A american made 1983 Fullerton 62 reissue Pbass and a recent Squire 5 string Jazz bass. Frankly I wouldnt give you more that $200 for anything Fender makes these days as there isn't $25 difference between the American made bass and the Korean made one.

I think it's important to remember that Leo Fender made cheap guitars. He designed them to be easy to mass produce with unskilled labor on an assembly line. In that respect the $150 Squire is a lot closer to Leos vision that a $2500 Strat.

I had one of those basses. Truthfully, it was stunning, both in the color and everything else. It had it. Bought it used. I'd guess, maybe 1990?

At the time, it was spendy at 1200 bones new, but they were everywhere and you could pick them up for 500 pretty easily. I heard a story, that it was one guy who was building them, including winding the pups. He did that run so well and so fast it flooded the market. I don't know if this story is accurate, but it makes perfect sense.

I agree and the vision is alive and well with strats when an American Special is $1000 cheaper than the gibson les Paul classic and a American standard is $2000 cheaper than a Les Paul standard. I have always got that.

I don't think you can ever really compare a Strat to a Les Paul as the construction and material costs are much highter for the Les Paul. But even so Gibson still offers guitars in the Strat price range. And that's after the dreaded 30% gibson price increase.

50748496-2222-4B49-89AF-1B989CF1B696_zpshmxs9xkr.jpg

Mission accomplished, because every Fender I've ever played felt "cheap."

But they are pretty and do have a unique sound once you get past all the noise / buzz.

duane v, I think you play awesome guitar. drums and bass too.

Off topic, How long do you warm up to be able to play like that? Assuming you warm up at all. I am an old fart but can play some decent lead, I know Donny is pretty good player too.

I takes me about 90 minutes of playing to get to full speed.

Back on topic. I have an equal number of Gibsons and USA Fenders. I must say I am very comfortable playing both. But to throw a wrench in this, I prefer to play my lightweight PRS Korina for back problems.

The best Fender I play and prefer is my 89 MIJ, with upgraded electronics.

Best acoustics I own and play is a 2010 HB TV. Sounds like a mini concert in the sound hole, just an outstanding and exceptional guitar.

Living room guitars are Yamaha and a GS mini. Both foreign.

Aside: I grew up in El Paso, the poverty is staggering in Juarez. Milod: I have been to Wazoo about 100 times and always saw street vendors selling guitars, none were of the classical variety you speak of. All were cheaply made and unplayable.

duane v, I think you play awesome guitar. drums and bass too.

Off topic, How long do you warm up to be able to play like that? Assuming you warm up at all. I am an old fart but can play some decent lead, I know Donny is pretty good player too.

I takes me about 90 minutes of playing to get to full speed.

Awe thanks.... Ya Donny is a great player and performer.

Actually I never warm up.... I pick up the guitar and I'm ready to play. but I do find when I play acoustic, my frettin hand starts to get tired after about 2 hours of playing... Typically I'll need a break after 2 hours of acoustic playing.

Mission accomplished, because every Fender I've ever played felt "cheap."

But they are pretty and do have a unique sound once you get past all the noise / buzz.

Well, "Cheap" is relative. When I got my 1964 Fender Strat, the "cheap" guitars

were Danelectro, Harmony, Silvertone (often Danelectro made,and re-branded), Truetone

(often Danelectro or Stella (acoustic)), and Teisco (Japan). So, a Fender, or Gibson

in those days was expensive, and beautifully made, by comparison.

But, to Leo's goal...I think it's crazy, the prices that some Fender guitars command,

these days! [scared] "Custom Shop" or otherwise. Band sawed bodies and bolt on necks,

aren't nearly as costly to produce, as even the least expensive Gibson is, to make. And,

as to "Relic" or "Road Worn" for a premium price...I'll do my own, thank you very much,

and for "free!" [tongue]:rolleyes:

Still, I LOVE my '64 Strat!! Would never part with it! [biggrin]

CB

Band sawed bodies and bolt on necks, aren't nearly as costly to produce, as even the least expensive Gibson is, to make.

Nobody has band sawed a body in more than 40 years. Nothing you buy has a price that reflects what it cost to make.

rct

duane v: I have a friend that is close to your level of playing (50 years of real playing). But he is strictly a rhythm player. I play the solos. he is like you, he picks up a guitar and is ready to play, no warm ups and he is 60 yrs old. I have to play an hour in the morning and hour in the afternoon to have any hope of being warmed up for weekly jams or open mikes. Old body doesn't work like it used to.

Aside: I purchased an Epi LP awhile back at GC for about $250 including the Epi hardcase. It was built more like Fender - slab of wood etc. Apparently it was set up here in California by a company that does this for Gibson -Epi. Has all sorts of QC stickers plastered all over it. It is a very decent guitar, fun to play, looks good and has decent tone. Perfect for a beginner or a player.

It is amazing what you can find for a couple of hundred bucks these days. Is it as nice as my LPs? Not even close. But price for value? This guitar was set up and ready to go. I have left all the plastic covering the pups etc on it. I will be giving it to some deserving starting out guitar player for Xmas.

For what its worth, I play mostly rhythm on my LPs and lead solos on my Strats or Teles. If I could have only one electric (and I have many) it would be my $400 MIJ Strat. Acoustic would be the Bird and Bass would be a fender.

Aside: Speaking of Ibanez, I purchased a short scale Ibanez bass, what a blast that thing is to play. Still pumps out good low notes too. Of course it will never be a precision bass.

Dogs: Last Xmas I gave my neighbor a nice little fender acoustic I had set up. I am standing at her door with guitar case in one hand and stand in the other. She opens the door and a huge (150 lbs?) not exaggerating black dog like the ones in 'Omen' slithers out the door slowly approaches me and bites my left hand, four puncture wounds and I bled like a pig. The dog thought the guitar stand was threat is my best guess. Ultimately though it should have been restrained and kept inside the house.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Markini...

Yeah, those street guitars are crap.

Intended to be crap for the souvenir market or sold to dumb tourists.

OTOH, ditto pretty much different sorts of stuff anywhere one might find tourists and the crud to make them happy.

I have some Korean ceramics from the early '90s that are relatively crudely made, but were nice gifts.

I also have some exceptionally well-done pieces by an artist well known in Korea not only for the art itself, but also for use of the somewhat unusual traditional kilns that are in a far, far different category. They sit next to some Van Briggle pieces from the '50s and '70s and ... IMHO are far beyond that in quality.

m

My friend Tom is actually recorded this with my LP CC in this video even though it shows various Fenders. I love the smooth crunch of that LP. Definitely not a Fender tone. Lead done on my MIJ strat. Guitars shown are mine.

Speaking of no warm ups, I did the lead for this one off the cuff, 1st time thru in my pajamas. The ladies are French and asked Tom and I to collaborate on "Hold the line"

In rock and roll there are two icons, a Gibson Les Paul and a Fender Stratocaster. Many come close but no cup cake. If a guitarist can't pick up a Les Paul and use it as a sonic bazooka and whip out the first five rows and then pickup a Stratocaster and use it as a laser guided stinger missile to take out the balcony, they are not a complete rock and roll guitarist.

Wanna be Stratocasters and wanna be Les Pauls would be for wanna be guitarist I guess. I don't need or use them.

I dunno.... I've lit a few up while in my teens with a charvel strat [thumbup]

Archived