Gibson Brands Forums

Underwater on an AJ

62burst

An unfortunate soul gets a lesson or two the hard way about what can happen if guitars are not treated well. Gibson may make a fine guitar, but a return trip to the mother ship can be an expensive proposition when no total estimate for repairs, or the "just fix it" request, is given. Read 'em & weep. I'm sure a less spendy route could've been found to repair this Advanced Jumbo on eBay, notwithstanding the ounce of prevention:

ScreenShot2014-12-15at74438PM_zps93b7dc50.png

On the plus side, some good sport is going to get a professionally repaired, completely gone-over AJ for around $1000. No affiliation.

ScreenShot2014-12-15at80044PM_zps6a11eff5.png

That would have cost around $1200 locally where I am…. I don't think Gibson is really set up for repairs as much as new construction, So bound to be pricey…I've heard that they DO good work, so hopefully it works out for you…good luck!

I agree with those prices and comments. Unfortunately, you can buy a really good, late-model, like-new AJ natural (or 'burst) for about $1800 to at most $2000. Like you say, this one is unlikely to go for much more than $1000 due to the cosmetic wear. The wear would be acceptable on a vintage guitar, but much less so on a modern guitar.

I suspect Gibson does very good repair work. They always have, but in the good old days, you had to be very specific about what you did (and did not) want them to do. Otherwise, your vintage guitar could come back looking like a brand-new guitar, even if you just wanted a repaired vintage guitar. As many here know, I once sent my 1948 J-45 back to Gibson for a top re-glue and a new fretboard, and you know how that one turned out! Very nice work, but I wanted my 1948 J-45 back, not a guitar that looked like a brand new 1968 J-45.

A famous shop I often look at had a 63 cherry Hummingbird hit the list, then taken off, then back on with the real story - repaired in mid 70s with Les Paul inlays instead of the twin inlay and......oops.............added double X bracing so it would never break again....ever. Gone from the list - someone probably bought it.....it may need a bit of Kimseyfying.

BluesKing777.

Archived