Gibson Brands Forums

NGD...well sort of....but not really

bram99

I hope you all don't mind me posting these non-Gibson pics here too much.....I am not on any other forums so when I talk guitars it's generally a couple of buddy's or you folks that are stuck with me.

Part of my New Years resolution was to get all my guitar affairs in order, including all unfinished projects. I began building this guitar about ten years ago before my son was born. It's been sitting in the garage/shop all this time waiting to have its voice be heard. It is European spruce top, Alaskan Yellow cedar back and sides, ebony fretboard, Spanish cedar neck. Homemade rosette and entire guitar made with no premade parts (except violin pegs) and all without any power tools. Took advantage of slow work over the holidays to pull it all together...Spent the better part of yesterday fitting the ebony pegs and the nut and saddle...final setup today, but I can already tell this thing sings. Surprised myself with this one actually...almost scraped it about five years ago.

imagejpg1_zps9d2b7080.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsda75dd90.jpg

brill

did you start with a kit ?

Nope...no kit. All rough wood blanks... Hand joined, hand carved, hand planed and scraped... ...I built a side bending machine heated by lightbulbs and all the jigs needed to complete the guitar...everything from scratch. I did use power tools to build some of the jigs, but no power tool ever touched the guitar. This is my third effort all by hand...no kits. Even the inlay...Popsicle stick and exacto to cut rosette channel, gramil to hand cut binding and purfling channels etc...I have too many guitars already...it's all about the build. I have a rosewood classical and a 12 fret mahogany steel string also in progress...hope to finish those this year too.

Beautiful! I'm sure it'll sound as good as it looks....

What is that "thing" on the second fret in the first pic? Capo?

Capo or more properly in this case a cejilla. It's a right proper "capo" for a flamenco IMHO.

I made it from Brazilian rosewood, leather, some fishing line and an ebony violin peg. These below are not mine but similar....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/ngiorgio/m.html?item=191404003756&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

For cool Bram - I admire your talents and drive. Cedar B&S with European Spruce top - I'll bet this box sounds terrific. Jigs, lightbulbs, homemade stick-to-it-nes - amazing to hear about. This really is "for-cool". [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

Nope...no kit. All rough wood blanks... Hand joined, hand carved, hand planed and scraped... ...I built a side bending machine heated by lightbulbs and all the jigs needed to complete the guitar...everything from scratch. I did use power tools to build some of the jigs, but no power tool ever touched the guitar. This is my third effort all by hand...no kits. Even the inlay...Popsicle stick and exacto to cut rosette channel, gramil to hand cut binding and purfling channels etc...I have too many guitars already...it's all about the build. I have a rosewood classical and a 12 fret mahogany steel string also in progress...hope to finish those this year too.

Wow.

I salute you, my friend.

=D>

Thanks for the compliments folks....i mostly just see the flaws. These are iphone photos of some old snapshots I found...this is kinda giving me the bug to start a new project.

Here (top neck in photo) is the neck of the guitar at the beginning of its life. The other two necks have a different headstock profile...they are for classical guitars...but I can find the middle one. I like the simple profile for the flamenco, seen in the next photo....

imagejpg1_zps57e41e5f.jpg

It is the neck on the left in this pic, after headstock profile carved and heal block glued up. Middle neck mahogany classical, right neck Spanish cedar flamenco not yet carved.

imagejpg2_zpsa5ed1a31.jpg

Second round of glueing braces...fan braces already glued and carved.

imagejpg3_zps636fc730.jpg

Ready to trim the sides and put the back on....I signed the back of the top 26 feb 04...the box was probably closed up that day and it only took 11 more years to get strings

imagejpg4_zpseb6f2b99.jpg

Did you research the bracing pattern choice? very interesting. Amazing work. The rosette blows me away.

The guitar is based on a 1951 Marcelo Barbera, which was used by arguably the best flamenco guitarist, ever Sabicus. Barbero made some of the finest flamenco guitars and I based this one on plans publish by the Guild of American Luthiers several years ago. Mine is close to the same shape, uses his bracing pattern, but all the cosmetics are my design aesthetic. I like them simple...

I spent many hours this weekend playing the guitar....and while my flamenco skills are pretty rusty (having gone towards Gibson steel strings several years ago), we made some music together. This is my third build, but this is the best sounding of the lot...the guitar already has a nice attack and good sustain. Those two dimension often work at odds of each other on nylon string guitars. It was very gratifying to fully get sucked into this guitars tone....never experienced that with a home build before.

I have 3-5 guitars with of material around and think I will get on the 12 fret slotted head mahogany and Sitka steel string as the next project. The plan originally was to make a set of triplets....

1 flamenco

1 rosewood classical

1 mahogany steel

All with same shape and design aesthetics....I am not sure where I will end up though...

That is a beautiful, beautiful guitar - thank you for sharing it! I am so very happy you did not scrap it! When do we get a sound file?

I would be very interested in hearing this guitar played in different styles - I've been discovering how well a lot of my songs work on a classical guitar after years of being purely a steel string guy, and I wonder what sorts of interesting things would come from this guitar ....

Archived