Gibson Brands Forums

What are you guy's using for a looper?

pauly

What brand looper you using? I got a Electro Harmonix memory man w/ hazarai a couple years ago on impulse and only used it briefly maybe twice or three times since then. I'm just now starting to take time to try and use it as a tool to improve my playing (hopefully lol) and find it a bit complicated to use..but I'm a technological disaster to begin with. Just curious about what you find to be a good overall looper. Chime in.

The TC Electronic Ditto looper is a big hit as it is very simple, they also came out with the Ditto 2 that has a few more features but still simple to use.

I have the first version with the single knob/single switch and it is all I need.

IMO loopers are a mixed blessing

Some guys/gals use one and have a big hit record....then everybody wants one... :blink:

They can exacerbate the current tendency to 'create' repetitive gimmick type music

I have heard loads of it mostly from the young wannabes looking for quick fame

Personal experience includes Boss RC-2, EHX Memory Man and Boss ME 70...

Never really got on with either...although they have other usable features... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

I went with the Jamman stereo. Once the dust got thick enough I traded it away for 1/2 what I paid for it.

My DAW works way better :)

Performers have different requirements though. I always liked this particular looper performance:

I recall a similar thread on loopers recently and if I'm not mistaken, I started a thread about "what am I missing" or something to that effect.

Bottom line is this:

I have a Jamman that I think I've used for a total of an hour or two. It's a few years old.

I also have a Boss MicroBR80, that will do a hell of a lot more than the looper will, and give me more effects and options.

Consensus on the other threads was that I don't need a looper. That said, I think if I didn't have the BR80, I'd probably find more use for a looper but I spend most of my time jamming to tracks rather than "creating" if you will.

To the OP, don't own one and don't plan to, but the Ditto 2 gets some good reviews, at least that I've seen.

And as an aside, if you want to see how to use loopers, just do a YouTube search on Phil Keaggy!

Thanks all, interesting input. I checked the you tube vid Dennis...good grief he knows his looper. I also seen a guy Greg's guitars using one in several guitar demo's.

The Boss, TC, and Jamman units seem to be the most popular units with the best reviews.

I've got a Jamman Solo, with hours of recording time, micro card storage, USB download and upload capability. I use it to flesh out live performances so I can add lead live to prerecorded rhythm tracks that I make up.

I never use the record feature on the fly, too hard to time the start and stop breaks right, I keep leaving gaps. For prerecording entire arrangements, acoustic, bass and electric rhythm, it works great.

Archived