Gibson Brands Forums

"Don't care what you play, just play it LOUD!"

Marshall Paul

OK fellas, before I hit the sack, let's get you thinking again.

Favourite amps. Heads Cabs, Combo's..what?

Mine? Why, anything Marshall ol' bean!

Heads: 410, 800, plexi, super lead 100. + HiWatt 100 Custom

Cabs: 1960B/M412 stack (600W of raw power)

Combo: Roland JC120

First: My sister's re-wired portable record player!

Yours?

(see you in the morning with a cuppa).

my favorite amp I own, is my Marshall DSL 50, into a Marshall 1936 2 x 12 Cab that I modified to be a "slightly" open back cab. Loaded with Vintage 30's. I love my Orange & Traynor, but nothing sounds like a Marshall when it really gets humming ...

The Traynor YCS50 is my favorite combo.

my fav. is my Marshall JTM60 2x12 that I run with a 2x12 ext. cab.

Runner up, my Fender 4x10 60watt HR Deville (gotta front end it with a good over drive pedal)

I also have a Gibson Goldtone 30watt 2x12 (GA30RVS) that is pretty nasty.

I have a few Fender Mustangs too, (1x12 100 watt M-III and a 2x12 150 watt M-IV)

These are very nice amps, with a lot of features/sounds but they don't really sing like the tube amps do. (it's a compromise)

I love ALL my amps (Blues Jr, HR Deluxe + matching extension cabinet, 1980 Twin Reverb, Vox AC-30, Marshall AVT-20,

and 1982 Fender (Japan) Sidekick 35 Reverb), for various reasons/uses, and venues.

But, my more recent "Favorite" would have to be this:

DSC_91142_zpsd8738a73.jpg

Both TSL 100 Head, and 1960A 4X12 cabinet were purchase "USED"...but were both, quite literally, in

"Like New" condition. It's a LOUD Beastie!! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

I like my JCM 2000 Dual Super Lead head w/ the JCM 900 angled cabinet.

It doesn't get used very much out of respect for my neighbors, though.

My wife gave me a little Crate SS amp which does a passable job for practice work but it's no Marshall half stack by any means.

I would like to get a Marshall Bluesbreaker but I can't justify the cost.

I like my JCM 2000 Dual Super Lead head w/ the JCM 900 angled cabinet.

It doesn't get used very much out of respect for my neighbors, though.

My wife gave me a little Crate SS amp which does a passable job for practice work but it's no Marshall half stack by any means.

I would like to get a Marshall Bluesbreaker but I can't justify the cost.

[crying] I KNOW the feeling!! [unsure]

CB

Nice selection so far guy's, very nice indeed.

I think, for a medium size head, you really can't go past the DSL50. I know I'll eventually get one, can't help myself! (lol). The usual suspects are there for the larger sizes. My favourite 'aquisition' last year was a HiWatt 100W Custom. Been after one for a while now and I just can't stop using it. Beautiful vintage sound.

The 2x12 and 4x12 half and full stacks seem to get a big thumbs up here. What's not to like eh. Stick a 412 on top and, hey presto! Instant rock star!! (lol).

I like the idea of direct lining a half stack to a combo. Pretty good Blaster. At the moment, if needed, I re-mike my 120 through to the stack. I would direct if I could get enough channels but alas. And your right, nothing sings or howls like tubes.

And next time I go amp hunting, I'm taking you with me Chuck. Jeez, you really can't tell that from new! Just beautiful mate. And yeah, it would be one LOUD beastie!

Nice marriage of head and cab there Steve. Doesn't get beat. And definitely a 'good neighbour policy' breaker along with windows!

A few of the combo's had me scratching my head there. The Traynor and the Bedrock and the Gibson. Very interesting. I notice the trend seems to be for heads everyone's going tubes, yet in the combo's, going for a tube/solid state mix. Even the Roland JC120 is that way. Must be something in that.

For me, personally, I think tubes is like having real parents, where as solid state/digital is like being a test tube baby! Just something a little cold and impersonal about them.

Marshall seems to leading the list so far. Lets see how they fair a little further into the discusion.

Nice picks so far fellas, well done.

re: the Gibson combo,,

long since discontinued, but, here's a link for the specs and what not.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/gibson-ga-30rvs-goldtone-combo-amp

it's at our rehersal space now with the deville (run these in stereo, sounds really nice and full)

for the JTM setup, I should grab a snapshot and post. it's not your typical Marshall cab and appointments. Sounds real good tho.

Very interesting mate. For it's size and it's still 3 spring reverb! excellent. And 2 channel out. Perfect for stereo work. I like it! [thumbup]

Tip for stereo. When I use three stacks, obviously I keep the left/right for the stereo channel, and the centre for the mono channel. Now, to get that left/right leslie cabinet effect going in your stereo channel, put something like a MXR phase 90 in there and get the speed timing just right. It really adds to that etherical thing you get going. Example of this would be, when we do "Hotel California", I have two 1/4 jack outputs on my 1275. The stereo jack is for the upper neck, and the mono jack for the lower. Two leads go into this git. The capo'd upper is in the stereo channel going to the outter stacks, and it has that perfect balance from the phaser immitating the leslie. The lower neck is then going to the centre stack. Sounds perfect!

Give a phaser a go with yours, you'll love it, trust me!

Just a silverface Quad Reverb with 2 bad speakers in need of re-coning or replacement. Oh, and my son's Frontman... and an old Kingston 10w Bass amp I'm fixing up for kicks. And my wife runs her Privia and mics through an Audio Choice QM4 w/2 C100s.

OP made me think of this... [tongue]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpgO_4jH0ak

Then I found this. Will the real Marshall Paul please stand up?! [lol]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNL_eJiYcrU

ϵβ

Just a silverface Quad Reverb with 2 bad speakers in need of re-coning or replacement. Oh, and my son's Frontman... and an old Kingston 10w Bass amp I'm fixing up for kicks. And my wife runs her Privia and mics through an Audio Choice QM4 w/2 C100s.

OP made me think of this... [tongue]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpgO_4jH0ak

Then I found this. Will the real Marshall Paul please stand up?! [lol]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNL_eJiYcrU

ϵβ

I'm the one on the left the next morning after a night before down the pub with the boys!!

LOL! Young Einstein on the right actually looks like my third boy too!!!

Father and Son wanted poster!

lol

I still own my two favorite amps that I have owned- a '67 Deluxe Reverb, and a Victoria Victorilux.

As for a few favorites I have played, one would be my buds '56 (or '57? maybe even '55?) Bassman he got restored. Also, a Particular '59 Bassman we used to call "King Kong".

There have been a few Vicky's my friends have owned that I have played through that I like nearly as well as mine, or even a bit better.

One Marshall that sticks in my head was a simple JMP 50 watt master volume I once played, don't remember the cab. I sticks in me as the best I have heard, although a long, long time ago.

If I may explain why so many "bassmans" on the list here (even though I don't have one), to me, a cranked up Bassman sounds a LOT like a typical marshall, and even MORE like a Marshall you can't properly crank up. They roar, they bark, and they sear. Reissues do NOT do this. It's just ONE sound of many a Bassman can get, but THAT sound does stick in my head.

Which leads to the Victoria thing, and the fact that their version of a Bassman is the closest I know of, which leads to the OTHER Victorias and the various amps they replicate. Taken as a whole, the best amps I have heard tend to be various tweed Fenders or Victorias, and mostly dependant on the state of repair of the old Fender or the set-up/tubes/speakers in the Vicky.

Tip for stereo. When I use three stacks, obviously I keep the left/right for the stereo channel, and the centre for the mono channel. Now, to get that left/right leslie cabinet effect going in your stereo channel, put something like a MXR phase 90 in there and get the speed timing just right. It really adds to that etherical thing you get going.

Yeah! - That I want to see and hear!

Next time you tour, I'm there.

I'll make sure you have front row tickets mate! [thumbup]

Wouldn't hold your breath though, we haven't done a gig in nearly 15 months. Not for offers of work, we're all just too damn busy unfortunately.

But yeah, the leslie effect you might be able to tell, I'm a big fan of (pardon the pun! lol). Ever since I heard one when I was a kid. Gilmour's another who uses the effect a lot.

If you were sitting right up front, your ears would get the whole thing for sure. And it's so easy to do these days with just a little stomp box (lol).

Give it a go sometime, you'll fall in love with it!

Archived