Gibson Brands Forums

amps

nikko18

so i have been trying out amps because i want something bigger. i'm joining a band soon and i want more then 12 wats.

i think i have narrowed it down to three amps now. the orange tiny terror is one, i'm actually leaning towards the this one the most. it has a very cool tone and it is still able to go into a house hold range.

the next one is the fender hot rod deluxe. this one is also very cool and the loudest. i really like how it has reverb, the other two don't have this.

the last one is the egnater rebel. i have not played one of these yet but from what i have read they seem really cool.

could you guys just let me know what you think about each one? espeacilly if you have one, let me know what it sounds best for in your opinion.

thanks

i wish i could vote twice. i had a tiny terror. it is a great amp for low to medium volume. it has almost no clean headroom though. you'd have to mic it in almost every live situation if you need clean. i traded it in for a 40w hot rod deluxe. opposite end of the spectrum though the tube config is similar. its not a great quiet amp. it is sooo sweet when clean and loud. fender reverbs are the best, too. it loses some balls when it is insanely overdriven. a dimension of the sound disappears but i don't play metal anymore. i set the drive channel with the drive on 2 and the master up high just to get a punchy saturation. this amp rules but now i need something quiet for the house (townhouse). i'll probably add a vox vt low wattage amp (5w?) for studio/home stuff and mic it for recording.

there are many youtube demos for the egnater. it looks awesome. the power soak function is cool as well as the tube blender. very cool and the tone is awesome.

http://ca.youtube.com/results?search_query=egnater+rebel&search_type=&aq=0&oq=egnater

I jam on my neighbors HRdx and I love it. It's got a nice clean and several dirty options with the drive/more drive side. Pretty nice sounding reverb too. If you look around, you can find different versions of this amp with choices of red, purple, snakeskin, tweed and black tolex. Some have different speakers too. It's certainly a bargain for a 40w tube amp. I have no experience or knowledge about your other choices.

Good luck.

I would rather have a Hot Rod Deville 2-12 than a HR Deluxe 1-12.

I've owned both, and also had the HR Deville 4-10. Of the three, the Deville 2-12 is the only one I would buy again. It had the best tone and versatility. It's a bit heavier, than the 1-12, but that's probably where some of the difference in tone comes from.

The 4-10 was just too harsh and bright for my taste.

The onboard bias adjuster is really nice. It allows you to experiment with different tubes without spending a fortune at the shop. All of the new HRs have that feature.

All of them seem to project really well too, so you need to stand away from them quite a bit to get a true measure of your volume. Sort of like the older Twins and Super Reverbs.

They will all hold their value if taken care of.

If your current amp is 12 watts and that isn't loud enough, there isn't going to be much of any difference going to a 15 watt amp so I'd rule out the Orange. Really, what you get depends on the sound you'll be using for your style of music, how loud the drummer is (and his capability to not play so loud when required) and the size rooms you'll be playing. The 20 watt Ignator should be good if you plan on using a cranked tone all the time, but don't expect big fat cleans if you guys play particularly loud. The 40 watt Fender is going to be the most versatile as you'll have plenty of headroom for clean tones; the tradeoff will be that you'll have to blast the thing for big overdrive but at least you can still use the master volume.

Well, most folks here will probably have strong points when it comes to amplifiers.

I won't get nazi here, but I think there are some reasons why the Tiny Terror (HEAD!!! the combo sucks!) could do the trick for you:

1 You can play at home with the 7 watts.

2 You can practice with the 15 watts mode and a LOUD cab.

2 Sounds like british. Great for rock but good with cleans.

3 Point to point circuit board and a solid casing. This is the amp you'll want to gig with. Solid.

4 It's a head, so you can have dozens of sounds with different cabs.

6 It's light.

7 If you can mike it and send through PAs, go with the 7w position and rock on - better tone with 7watts at most times.

8 7Watts are the sweet spot to record.

I can't help much, but I can say that I owned the Hot Rod Deville with 2 12"s. I would assume that the Deluxe is quite a bit like it. Mine was very loud, had good all-around tone. I had a big Orange amp once and if I personally was amp shopping, I'd look at the Tiny Terror first. I might not like it, but something about Orange attracts me. Egnater I know NOTHING about except it seems to have a good reputation.

Have you looked at Blackheart amps? I've been very impressed with one of those.

My best hint: Whatever you buy, learn to like it. That works in most cases. O:)

Blackheart Handsome Devil 7/15 watt switchable, quiet enough for home and loud enough to play out. Nice cleans, nice dirt, no reverb though. You can get a nice heavier distorted tone with the drive cranked up and using an overdrive pedal. Even with the combo, you can add an extra speaker. I was looking at a HRDX, but 40 watts is a lot for playing at home.

lots of good information here. i'm still find it really hard to decide. i will hopefully be able to try the egnater sometime this week at guitar center. if i do i will also try the hot rod while i'm there and then go to a the shop with the orange so i can try them all out in the same day instead of playing one today and another tommorow.

Nikko' date=' the Hot Rod Deluxe has 40Watts.

Don't do that to yourself. Don't waste your lifespam with preamp saturation.[/quote']

this probably sounds stupid but i don't understand what you mean =P~

preamp saturation? are you saying that the hot rod is good because it has 40 watts? or that 40 watts is to much?

I would rather have a Hot Rod Deville 2-12 than a HR Deluxe 1-12...

I agree. They sound better, even when turned down.

I've had both the HRDlx and HRDeville. The Deville sounds better.

The 1 X 12 Deluxe sound doesn't hold together very far before the volume makes it all splattery and mushy.

this probably sounds stupid but i don't understand what you mean =P~

preamp saturation? are you saying that the hot rod is good because it has 40 watts? or that 40 watts is to much?

Brief and not professional explanation:

Tubeamps are meant to be played LOUD, if you are searching for crunch and overdrive. Tubes overdrive when cranked, ok?

Meaning that to crank a 5watts amp is "easier" than cranking a 40watts amp.

When playing with a 5watts amplififer you can get it cranked in your bedroom and it's not going to be that loud. But your ears migh still be ringing when you are done.

When playing with a 40watts tube amplifier you can bet your *** that you can only overdrive both the preamp tubes and the power tubes if you are playing VERY LOUD. If you are rehearsing I bet no one will can hear anything except your guitar. The drums probably won't cut trough.

That is if you are cranking the power tubes.

But chances are that you'll play 99% of time only overdriving your preamp or using a pedal to overdrive your signal - if your power tubes need much more volume to overdrive than you can handle.

And by playing 99% of your time with your power tubes cool, you will understand the meaning of wasting money and time, as you are not really using your amplifier - and you are not in touch with the dinamics, tone and feel of overdriven power tubes.

------------------

If you only play CLEAN, that's a completely different story and the Fender is your amp.

whell... i don't play totally clean but i also don't use to much distortion either. when i do not use my pedal i have my amps gain pretty much down around 3 or 4, maybe a bit more if the song needs more gain. when i do use a pedal i keep the amps gain around 2 or 3 and the pedals tone, drive and volume all around 6 or 7, unless the song calls for more gain. but i do usaully play fairly clean, at least compared to what alot of people are doing these days. i guess my tone is more like jimmy pages most of the time, but also when i'm playing softer songs more like hendrix's, if you want to compare it.

but...

i just got back from my first band practice today, and my twelve watt amp was loud enough to be heard over the drums but not loud enough for good tones. it will be fine for practice but i will need a bit more power for playing live, i dont think i need 40 watts though. so unless i can get a really good deal on a hot rod it looks like it's down to the orange and the egnater. and possibly that new vox night train amp, but i would have to try it before putting on my list for sure.

Archived