Gibson Brands Forums

Over-rehearsing

Izzy

I have been playing guitar for a few years now, just me alone, and practice on my own a few times a week but when I have a show coming I play the every day, which never game me trouble but....

I have a drummer now...she is learning how to drum but does pretty well...we live together so we have been re-hearsing daily though we don't have any shows booked yet or any open mics lined up yet.

I find myself messing up songs that I am VERY familiar with and my voice is sore (my new job is telephonic nursing, which is a problem too).

Would it be better to take a day off every other day or to maybe rehearse half the set one day and the other half the next? Is a bigger break between rehearsals in order?

I call it the 'force effect'. When I play or rehearse a song if I am not relaxed, semi rested and in a decent mood, I tend to force the song and playing it becomes unsatisfying. I tend to take frequent breaks. Music and playing the guitar certainly have to be 'worked' at. But when the fun or satisfaction is not there it can become drudgery.

Why not have her teach you drums, and you teach her guitar to mix it up now and then. But if you are straining your voice that is for sure a time to rest the vocal chords.

While I may not practice the same stuff, or even the same instruments every day, I do find that it's important to practice every day.

Back in the old days when I was doing 2 a nights for 3 or more months in a row on the road, there was nothing that deflated a gig as much as a night off. It always took a long time for the band to get back in the groove with a night off.

We would even look for places to jam on nights off just so we could keep our consistency.

Now all these years later, I still find that by practicing at least some each day I never feel rusty, and most times I pick up the guitar fresh, it actually feels like the continuation of the previous day's practice.

Maybe you just need to mix up what it is that you do practice a bit more.

I'd say take a break on occasion, yes. I can't tell you how many times I've felt a positive result come from it; for me it gives a chance for muscle memory to settle-in, so-to-speak. Just me, maybe, but still I'd say worth a go!

Everyone is different in this regard. What works for me, aint gonna automatically work for you. I've been playing a real long time Izzy, (started playing at around age 10 in 1967)

After all this time, I still play everyday, working on something.. I play piano as well as Guitar, (many different styles) I sing a lot and I'm in 2 bands, one is a 75% originals, so I tend to find a lot of things I "want" to work on. I also find I spend as much time working on my voice as I do anything else. For me, the voice is a very demanding instrument.

All I can say that if you are motivated to practice hard everyday, and you have the time for it, go for it and don't worry about the burn out because you're eventually going to know when your guitar is playing you instead of you playing your guitar.

There's going to be times when, for one reason or another, you can't put the time in. It's all part of the give and take we have as musicians who must devote time and energy to our music. at the end of the day, this all works itself out in the wash.

I sing a lot and I'm in 2 bands, one is a 75% originals, so I tend to find a lot of things I "want" to work on. I also find I spend as much time working on my voice as I do anything else. For me, the voice is a very demanding instrument.

How do you handle using your voice so much without irritating it? I've looked up tips for keeping your voice rested but I work on the phones for 8hrs a day...its starting to get to my chords [unsure]

I made a schedule where I practice alone then rehearse the next day with the band-mate and have one day off per week...I hope that helps. :)

How do you handle using your voice so much without irritating it? I've looked up tips for keeping your voice rested but I work on the phones for 8hrs a day...its starting to get to my chords [unsure]

I think some of this in natural/genetic... in other words vocal strain varies tremendously by singer. I've known people who could belt it out all night and never have a problem. I'm a bit like that. I don't sing on every song my band does, but I sing some bits on most of them and lead on quite a few (and usually after teaching all day). Our female singer (who has the best voice in the band without a doubt) has to worry constantly about overdoing it... like I can't put certain songs in the same set together or she'll overdo it and be wrecked for the next set.

If you're prone to vocal strain you will have to find ways to moderate it. Maybe try to lower the voice volume you use at work? Maybe arrange set lists (or practice lists) to ease into it and plan spots where you give it a break with softer songs?

I made a schedule where I practice alone then rehearse the next day with the band-mate and have one day off per week...I hope that helps. :)

I think what Surfpup says has a lot of merit, and like I said before, everyone is different, different ranges, tolerance/endurance etc.. The guy I do most of the vocals with, has to take a few songs to recover if he's done 4 or 5 in a row where as I seem to be able just keep going. Plus I sing a lot of harmonies when he's singing, and I'm always on the top harmonies.

There's also proper use of the voice, training disciplines, and proper breathing, etc. Also I don't have the same situation, I'm not having to use my voice for work for 8+ hours. So I don't know about that. Maybe having a schedule to work with is your best bet after all.

In my case, as I mentioned, I've been doing this for many years, where I've built up endurance and confidence. With the confidence comes a more relaxed approach.

I run about 4 days a week too, which helps the lung capacity. of course if you happen to smoke, that wont help either.

I also hydrate a lot, I'll got thru 2 bottles of water during a 90 minute practice session, on a gig, a bottle a set.

My biggest problem is mornings, my pipes don't open up till sometime mid day or afternoon, by late afternoon/early evening, I'm okay.

It sounds like you have a unique set of challenges tho.. with the job and all.

Maybe see about some lessons where you will learn some control over the vocal chords and diaphram?

......of course if you happen to smoke, that wont help either.

Unless you are Lemmy!

Maybe see about some lessons where you will learn some control over the vocal chords and diaphram?

Agreed!

I don't remember exactly how or when that was but Metallica's Hetfield said once in an interview that he got vocal training too.

And that before that he was messing up his vocal chord's.

Though, I liked his voice more before the training.

By the way I'd like to say: Izzy I like your voice a lot!

msp_thumbup.gif

Yeah certainly do not strain your voice.

I try to practice every day, but some days it's just not there for me. For example, I may mess up a particular lick that I've played perfectly all my life. When that happened in the past I practiced it over and over, but made things much worse because I found it that I had focused too much on it. I got into "thinking mode" just before I had to play that lick again. Thinking about a lick is usually a guarantee that you'll mess it up. So now I just stop for the day and not think about it.

Here's an example. Two days ago I was practicing SRV's Scuttle Buttin' using a backing track, which I know note for note. At one point in the solo I messed up. I immediately put my guitar down and stopped for the day. I won't play it for a few days to free my mind up from thinking about it.

By the way I'd like to say: Izzy I like your voice a lot!

msp_thumbup.gif

Thanks!

I took a few days off and was feeling like a thickness or lumpy feel in my throat and I remember it now...this is dehydration. I was once in telephonic service to a survey company and I drank loads of coffee...I ended up at an ENT and after like $500 of labs the MD said..."you're dehydrated."

These past five days I have not sang and I've been careful not to talk as much.

The up side is I focused on making my guitar sound good...been neglecting that.

Today we practiced...I did not feel strain when I sang.

Water....who knew...I mean, it wasn't an issue when I played lots of open mics because I didn't talk for a living but now I am so going to drink drink drink.

Also, I hear honey before a set is good...I already do my easy songs to start and work up to harder ones before closing with easy...

Do you all have more tips?

Hey Izzy,I know what you mean. Naturally I am pretty good at singing. I think if I were to connect with a solid teacher Id blow it open. I sing alot. So Ive gotten pretty good at knowing when my voice is tired versus when I feel that natural power. I think I have a few tips. The cliche tip I will start with is to learn your voice very well. Study when you feel that natural power vs when you have to put some effort in to project. This is where you will learn to back off or keep pushing. Maybe if your voice is tired, you can try to do some of your songs in a lighter tone. That way you practice your songs in a different setting and get some active recovery.

2. HYDRATE FOR SURE

3. Also, you could moderate your songs a bit. Are you doing covers when you play live? The only vocalist I have seen live to sing almost spot on to the original studio versions was Steven Tyler and we all know how much of a BEAST he is. Paul Stanley, Myles Kennedy, etc... most of these guys improvise off the studio record so they don't get tired too quick with certain screams or what not. Take the song Highway Star for example... I have never watched or heard a live version by anyone where the beginning scream was actually sung!

This should help for now. :)

I find myself messing up songs that I am VERY familiar with and my voice is sore (my new job is telephonic nursing, which is a problem too).

Would it be better to take a day off every other day or to maybe rehearse half the set one day and the other half the next? Is a bigger break between rehearsals in order?

Whatever you do in life, the most important thing to obey is the following: BREATHE IN THROUGH YOUR NOSE EXCLUSIVELY AND BREATHE OUT THROUGH YOUR NOSE EXCLUSIVELY UNLESS SPEAKING OR SINGING EXACTLY THE SAME TIME. This way our respiratory system is kept in fine temperature and humidity conditions.

Like all the mouths on earth, our ones are made for eating, drinking, occasional yawning or sneezing, but NOT for breathing. Our noses are designed to do that. Even physicians sometimes tend to forget about this basic fact, but hey, our misbehaviour is their business.

Archived