Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SJ TV pre-owned ?

Guitar Fundi

I am looking at buying a Gibson SJ TV pre-owned in excellent shape. What is a reasonable price for one of these? Just trying to figure out if the price is in the ball park of reasonable. Thanks!

Please clarify--are you looking for SJ200 or Southern Jumbo?

I think he means a guitar like mine... A SJTV... Southern jumbo true vintage... I'm gonna ballpark $2200

Depends a bit on age and condition, but that's probably pretty close. Whatever you would get for a J-45 TV of the same vintage and condition, you would probably get for the SJ TV.

A Southern Jumbo TV will have a Sitka top I believe. I think a reasonable price is $1800. Now I said reasonable and unfortunately some people think their guitars are made of gold and price them unreasonably.

A Southern Jumbo TV will have a Sitka top I believe. I think a reasonable price is $1800. Now I said reasonable and unfortunately some people think their guitars are made of gold and price them unreasonably.

Nothing wrong with Sitka spruce, despite our obsession with red spruce. I bet not one person in 1,000 could reliably tell the difference between a good piece of red spruce and a good piece of Sitka, when it comes to tone.

Looking on websites selling wood for guitar-building, the highest grade Adirondack goes for about $160 for a dreadnought-sized top set, while the other spruces, including Sitka, sell for about $60-$70 per dreadnought-sized top set. AA Adi, which is more readily available(and more commonly used) than the higher-grade AAA Adi, sells for just a little more than equivalent Sitka.

Adirondack (red) is more expensive because the trees are quite a bit smaller, and the wood quality in general is not as consistent as most other spruces, from what I read.

Nothing wrong with Sitka spruce, despite our obsession with red spruce. I bet not one person in 1,000 could reliably tell the difference between a good piece of red spruce and a good piece of Sitka, when it comes to tone.

Amen.

How nice is it? If you've played it, and/or compared it, then Sal's $2200 number would be fine to stretch to. Or, if you just want it.

This Southern Jumbo on eBay seems to be a good price, but the wear on the back of the neck mentioned is not visible in the photos. This particular guitar weighs in just a hair over 5 pounds: the Grover Rotomatic tuners probably didn't help that any. Also- the listing mentions "original case"; you'd want to be certain that is the beautiful Tan Tank (TKL Cali Girl repro case) that is much sought after. Happy hunting.

This Southern Jumbo on eBay seems to be a good price, but the wear on the back of the neck mentioned is not visible in the photos. This particular guitar weighs in just a hair over 5 pounds: the Grover Rotomatic tuners probably didn't help that any. Also- the listing mentions "original case"; you'd want to be certain that is the beautiful Tan Tank (TKL Cali Girl repro case) that is much sought after. Happy hunting.[/size]

That one isn't a TV, so it should have the standard J-45 case (black, usually blue cat fur lining). The TV models generally use hide glue for top braces, while the standards use Tite-bond. Also, Rotomatics on the standard, usually individual Kluson-style with oval white buttons on the TV.

I would take the five-pound weight with a grain of salt, although with the battery pack for the pick-up, plus the Rotomatics, you could be getting up towards that.

Neck profile on the TV is probably different, as well.

The SJ in this listing is basically a J-45 standard with board inlays and fretboard binding.

That sounds low to me. Just a few years ago I had a Southern Jumbo MC (the first Gibson acoustic I ever bought). I ended up selling it for $1800 without any trouble. I would expect a TV to bring more... depending on the individual guitar though.

-Keith

$1800. $2200. $2000. $1900. $2100.

Heck all around there. If one can't afford a guitar for 22 bills, he likely can't afford one for 18 bills. That person would be at 10 bills or less, which is fine. And if one CAN afford a guitar for 18 or 22 bills or in between, he would be foolish to let one walk over a few hundred... One that he played and loved.

Whatever FP... I am not selling anyone anything, just offering my two cents.

Oh.. And I sold my 2007 J45 TV with a Sitka top two years ago for $2100.

But didn't some of them come with tulips ?

I'm sure they did, just as "real" ones probably did at some point, probably just before the switch to the square dread body in the early 1960's.

My own modern SJ is a bit different in that it has a 19-fret neck, Luthier's Choice (wide) neck, and belly-down bridge with slot-through saddle. Specs also say Adi top, but it looks like Sitka to me. They call it a "1943 SJ", but it has a bound fretboard, which came in a bit later.

If it had a slightly narrower neck with a slightly fatter profile, it would be just about perfect from my perspective. I love those late 1940's to 1950's (up through about 1959) necks.

There may not be as many SJ variants as there are J-45 models, but there's a bunch. Fuller's seems to have commissioned a number of variations on the SJ.

I bet not one person in 1,000 could reliably tell the difference between a good piece of red spruce and a good piece of Sitka,. /quote] Nick, you might well be right about a blind trial, but I will say that every recent hog/adi guitar Ive had my hands outperforms any comparable sitka model for punch and definition: J35fvg vs J45 std or TV, D18ge vs D18v, CEO7 vs 0018v; Om42v vs OM28v. If you fingerpick or need the headroom for bluegrass runs, it do make a difference. Oth if you are a singer/strummer, who might puts a higher value on ring and shimmer, sitka will do fine.

In September of 2013 I bought a 2007 Southern Jumbo TV in great shape from a GC in Chicago for $1950 "out the door" (including case, tax and shipping), so if you find one in good shape for $1800 jump on it! It had the tulip Gotoh tuners which I later replace with cream oval buttons.

Archived