Gibson Brands Forums

case question.

Motherofpearl

Have been really happy with my Hiscox Pro II dreadnaught case, did a great job of protecting my J-50 in the checked baggage when I went to Europe last year. Paid $250 at Elderly Instruments, using one of the 10% discount coupons that popped up on their site. http://www.hiscoxcases.com/index.htm

Don't know what you are really looking for though, it might be more than you need. Otherwise, I see very little difference in the regular cases I have from Gibson, Martin and Roadrunner. They look fine and provide plenty of protection around the house, but no way I would trust them in the airline baggage.

I'd like a decent hard case that would fit this guitar. It's irregular shape and being 3/4 size it's seems difficult so far. I know they made an arlo guthrie model recently. I'm curious if I couldn't get one of those cases.

About two years ago a guy I know did everything he could to try and sell me a 1957. I recall the lower bout being around 12 3/4" but my memory may not be exactly spot on. I would agree on parlor cases which generally have a lower bout width of around 13" which will not be a perfect fit but close. Check the Canadian brand but I am sure there are a bunch of others you could look at.

Thank you.

It does have a different tone than my other guitars no doubt. But I expect that given the body size. But it's quite a loud and punchy little guitar. Real easy to play. The 1-9/16 nut isn't bad either because the thickness of the neck.

Real easy to play. The 1-9/16 nut isn't bad either because the thickness of the neck.

You've hit on a key feature here. Most of the Gibsons with the 1 9/16" nut also have shallow necks, which can really cramp your hands. I have a bizarre neck on my 1948-'50 J-45. When Gibson replaced the fretboard for me in 1968, they also took the liberty to shave the sides of the neck to accommodate the 1 9/16" nut which was standard at the time. Fortunately, they didn't touch the neck depth, so it still has the late-40's thick neck, and is still very playable.

I also have a late-60's Gibson with the narrow nut and the thin neck that was standard in the period. That one's uncomfortable to play unless you have small hands.

This may be about the same size as my Kay acoustic. I had the same problem. I checked around and found it to be dimensionally identical to a Les Paul except for the depth and cutaway.

I bought a LP Alligator case, gutted the body area and put some new foam board to fit it then re-attached the lining. Worked great.

Soon afterwards I went to a local music warehouse sale and picked up a Seagull acoustic case that fits it perfectly.

You've hit on a key feature here. Most of the Gibsons with the 1 9/16" nut also have shallow necks, which can really cramp your hands. I have a bizarre neck on my 1948-'50 J-45. When Gibson replaced the fretboard for me in 1968, they also took the liberty to shave the sides of the neck to accommodate the 1 9/16" nut which was standard at the time. Fortunately, they didn't touch the neck depth, so it still has the late-40's thick neck, and is still very playable.

I also have a late-60's Gibson with the narrow nut and the thin neck that was standard in the period/. That one's uncomfortable to play unless you have small hands.

Nick honestly I believe that. The thickness makes the nut not feel so small. I mean it's noticeable but defiantly not uncomfortable.

Dave an lp case that's crazy. I don't believe it will fit that but I'll check it out my friend has one.

Dave an lp case that's crazy. I don't believe it will fit that but I'll check it out my friend has one.

The LP case will be too shallow unless you rip the foam out. This is time for a big internet search, with all the dimensions in hand.

The LP case will be too shallow unless you rip the foam out. This is time for a big internet search, with all the dimensions in hand.

Here's a couple shots of the Gator LP case I modified. As you can see there's plenty of room to modify. The case may accommodate a little more thickness.

The Kay's dimensions - 38.5" lg x 18" body lg x 9.5" upper x 13.25" lower x 3" thk

4B88763D-8AD1-4352-BA86-B07BC1F46B09_zpsgkrjn4no.jpg

09081D60-ED2A-4717-80D4-73E693731DFA_zps0oqc5emc.jpg

I don't know if anyon mentioned it, but there's. site, RONDO MUSIC, that has really nice cases fornaround $60. They would definitely afford plenty of protection, n they even look great with simulated Tolex. I would tak. look there before buying any case. You cn save Yourself. few hundred bucks. If it's. mint 30' Gibson I might spendn grn on a Hoffee Case. expensive, but worth every penny if You guitar falls off of the car roof!

Archived