Gibson Brands Forums

Donovan Influence On The Beatles

BluesKing777

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I seem to have upset some members by referring to Donovan as a minor star in the sixty's. I can only disciple these times as I saw them. The major players were the bands Beatles Stones Kinks Animals, it was difficult for solo singers to be major players but there were some Tom Jones Cliff Richard Elton John big then, big now.

Donovan was thought of as the poor mans Bob Dylan and although his records sold well enough he was looked on as uncool partly because he tended to be a hanger on to the major players IE dating George Harrison's wife's sister and even marrying Brian Jones girl friend.

Donovan has continued to sell more of himself than his records and acts as the unofficial spokesman of sixty's UK. He is touring this year in UK doing twenty seven towns, you can even have lunch with him. So where's Elton tonight, mines a brown ale!

Okay, so now we've got Donovan associated with Jefferson Airplane. I guess I can deal with that, BUT, he's got to understand that the young Grace was mine. All mine. [thumbup]

I loved the Airplane. One of the last times I saw them was at the infamous "obscenity bust" gig in Oklahoma City in 1970. The while thing started when whoever was in charge of the venue decided to stop the show at midnight telling the audience the Airplane had finished and wanted to leave. Kanter walked up to the mic and said that was a bunch of BS using a few other choice words. Cops seemed to be come out nowhere. A whole bunch us got on the stage to try and get between them and the band.

My band used to do horrible things to "Sunshine Superman." We would all switch instruments and break out anything that could be used for a percussion. Pots, pans, a typewriter, it did not matter. Even put thumbtacks between the strings of an old piano that was off in the corner. Since known of us knew all the words we just kinda "improvised." Generally the bass player would take the mic. Late one night we did record it as I recall listening to it the next to see what we had wrought the next day. Would love to find it but I somehow doubt anybody thought to preserve the moment.

Must be something about Donovan because we later did the same horrible stuff to "Atlantis." That one though, I know we played in a public as an encore a few times. It was just our style. We had a hard time taking things too seriously.

I seem to have upset some members by referring to Donovan as a minor star in the sixty's. I can only disciple these times as I saw them. The major players were the bands Beatles Stones Kinks Animals, it was difficult for solo singers to be major players but there were some Tom Jones Cliff Richard Elton John big then, big now.

No offense - I believe you saw what you saw and listen to what you say.

But minor star, , , , aha. .

Must be something about Donovan because we later did the same horrible stuff to "Atlantis." That one though, I know we played in a public as an encore a few times.

Any remaining tapes of that , , , ? I foresee a SoundCloud fest. .

Any remaining tapes of that , , , ? I foresee a SoundCloud fest. .

I wish. We were not big on taping shows until the very end when we had decided to call it quits and knew were doing our last couple of gigs. And I do not have a clue what happened to those tapes. The only tape I do have contains one full and two partial songs recorded at a small festival in late 1966 or maybe early 1967. The only thing I can think of when I listen to them is I remember us being a lot better than that.

Donovan was a miner star in the sixtys but not much heard of since however if something happens in the news relating to that time the press pick him up as he always has plenty to say.

I would say that Donovan was a major recording star in the 1960s. According to Billboard he had 14 songs enter the top 100 between 1965 and 1970 with Sunshine Superman hitting #1 and Mellow Yellow clocking in at #2. Certainly not in the Beatles or Stones league but he sold a lot more records than many. Phil Ochs or Nick Drake never had anything crack the top 100 in the 1960s.

I seem to have upset some members by referring to Donovan as a minor star in the sixty's.... Donovan was thought of as the poor mans Bob Dylan and although his records sold well enough he was looked on as uncool....

This is an outrage!

OK, just kidding. I do think the "poor man's Dylan" was a minority view though, likely coming from media critics. I heard very little of that on the west coast.

As for the Airplane, Jorma, of course, was already a fingerpicker. I saw a great interview of him from AcousticGuitar some weeks back. (He didn't mention Donovan. [tongue] ) It showed a close-up of him playing his classic Embryonic Journey, which I've been, uh, working on. Another 6 months and I might have it. :rolleyes: Tough piece!

The saddest of all keys.
Can I borrow your words for the opening line of a new song - (probably will have a subdued Lietch aura to it).

LOL. Then zomby can talk about how he's influenced your playing. He probably won't be able to turn it into a lecture tour, though.

I seem to have upset some members by referring to Donovan as a minor star in the sixty's. I can only disciple these times as I saw them.

Kinda doubt that anyone's upset. It's just rather apparent that Donovan's impact and airplay varied from place to place.

I will say this: Although he was big in L.A. & I heard him all the time, his music never really resonated with me. When I think of his songs, there's not one I crave to listen to today - and that's personally pretty telling because I still listen to '50s & '60s music much of the time (lately it's been a lot of early Freddie King - what great stuff!).

I chose D-minor for thee - Oh yes the saddest key

Can I borrow your words for the opening line of a new song - (probably will have a subdued Lietch aura to it).

haha...

"I chose D-minor for thee - Oh yes the saddest key.

When they tease poor Donovan - my tears run free

But the Celtic Bard - his critics will foil

with a liberal spray of his patchouli oil

At times he's twee - at times he's wordy

but he enlightens us on The Hurdy Gurdy

And who amongst us is prepared to tackle

the mysteries of the Barabajagal"

haha...

"I chose D-minor for thee - Oh yes the saddest key.

When they tease poor Donovan - my tears run free

But the Celtic Bard - his critics will foil

with a liberal spray of his patchouli oil

At times he's twee - at times he's wordy

but he enlightens us on The Hurdy Gurdy

And who amongst us is prepared to tackle

the mysteries of the Barabajagal"

Well done! I would buy that album.

But it really screams out for a harpsichord solo.

This is an outrage!

OK, just kidding. I do think the "poor man's Dylan" was a minority view though, likely coming from media critics. I heard very little of that on the west coast.

As for the Airplane, Jorma, of course, was already a fingerpicker. I saw a great interview of him from AcousticGuitar some weeks back. (He didn't mention Donovan. [tongue] ) It showed a close-up of him playing his classic Embryonic Journey, which I've been, uh, working on. Another 6 months and I might have it. :rolleyes: Tough piece!

Sounds like one of those songs'you say major and I say minor' but certainly he was low on style in UK but obviously big in US. He was not alone,no one in UK would admit to owning a Herman's Hermits album but they were massive in US.

However if you happen to be near the Corn Exchange Ipswich this November you can see Donovan and he will no doubt explain how he was a major influence on the Beatles.

Claiming influence on major players is pretty common 'where there's a hit there's a writ'as they say. It is said that Ry Cooder was the influence on Keith Richards open G tunings, Richards went on too do great things with it as we know. I think Cooder was right in this case but I've never heard him talk about it.

Purely personal view is that Donovan wrote a small number of catchy hits which are still covered extensively to this day....

Paul McCartney played bass on 'Mellow Yellow'

Donovan embraced the hippy image and often vacuous 'planet saving' outpourings with the best of them.... [biggrin]

A guy has to do his best in all things.... :blink:

Ambition, affability, long hair, perceived gentleness etc

Went a long way in the 60's.... :-({|=

V

:-({|=

Archived