Gibson Brands Forums

How's this for keeping a guitar for the wrong reasons...(long)

Tim Plains

..and for frustrating me at work. This is the problem with the internet.

A guy at work, I'll call him Einstein, decided to get an acoustic. This guy is a nut job (literally), around 35 years old and has never played a guitar before. He's like the kid that didn't take his Ritalin. Unfortunately, work can't get rid of him because it's unionized and senior management doesn't want to deal with the hassle of terminating a unionized employee.

Einstein knows I play; so, he asked me what to get. I say the obvious...get one that feels comfortable and you like the sound of. So, Einstein does his research and ends up with a Yamaha FG of some sort, I think. It's a $250 guitar, anyways...and he bought it from a place with a 30 day money back guarantee.

He did not play it in the store because he doesn't know how to play; so, a sales guy played it for him. On day 29 he comes to me and says he doesn't like it. The guitar is too big for him and because of the size, he can't get his right arm in a comfortable spot. He also doesn't like the sound of it and asks me what he should do. I say return it and get another one. He then tells says he'll keep it...why?

...because his research consisted purely of on-line reviews. He read a few positive reviews and because of that he's convinced it's the best acoustic within his budget and the only one to have.

He brought it to work a few days ago. It was a frick'n cold day, like -15°C, and he doesn't have a case or bag for it. It's a good 60 second walk from the parking lot to the building. I told him he's nuts for bringing it in like that and he should get a case for it...even a $20 gig bag. Talk about being an idiot...he then says he doesn't know if he wants a gig bag and he doesn't want a hard case because he read on-line that they're heavy. I explained that hard cases are not heavy but he insisted that they were because that's what he read...even though he's never lifted one.

So, all that aside...we go into an empty room to try it out. He sits down with it and immediately starts complaining about how large it is and that it's not comfortable. I ask him to play something for me and he can't because...well, he's new at this, no problem. So, I ask him if he knows any chords...he says no. I took the guitar and started strumming a few simple chords to give him a general idea.

I give the guitar back to him and tell him the best thing for him is to buy a buy a book for beginners and also buy a chord chart or some sort. His response...he wants to skip all that and have me show him how to play Paranoid and Crazy Train.

I asked him is he was serious...Ozzy Osbourne on an acoustic?...and yes he was. Well, that was my boiling point. I said "good luck with that," walked out & went back to my office. He comes by and asks me if I'll teach him the songs. My reply..."check the internet."

What an idiot...

I think gov't is secure but there's always that chance, right? Gov't is usually the last to be affected. Our director announced a hiring freeze last month and 'guaranteed' no layoffs for at least two years. The economy aside, I think I'll be alright because a lot...and I mean A LOT...of people are retiring. The average age in my ministry (provincial gov't) is 54 years old. Nobody will be left to run the show if they start laying off people.

In general though, Canada is nowhere near as bad as the U.S. I read that economists are predicting 250,000 Canadian jobs will be lost this year. Although, that number will probably be much higher. I'm guessing most of these will be in Ontario/Quebec. Compared to U.S. estimates, I'm sure that seems like a walk in the park.

How about you?

One of my big customers is Telus and they are not doing much spending right now, my business has slowed quite a bit, not much technology spending happening at all. I just saw where Microsoft and Intel are having mass layoffs due to lack of tech spending. I was thinking aboot moving to Canada if things are looking good up there. I love Western Canada!

Archived