Gibson Brands Forums

Hollywood Vampires

cookieman15061

It seems like a cool project & sounds pretty good from the videos you posted.

Certainly are lots of big names on the record - Robby Krieger, Joe Walsh, Brian Johnson, etc.

I read somewhere that Duff McKagan & Matt Sourum (ex-G N'R/ VR) joined as touring band members?

Seems odd that Johnny Depp is amongst all these guys though. I know he plays a bit, but he seems out of place on the album credits. Never sure about actors crossing into music or musicians crossing into acting.

Seems odd that Johnny Depp is amongst all these guys though. I know he plays a bit, but he seems out of place on the album credits. Never sure about actors crossing into music or musicians crossing into acting.

Well he started the project with Alice Cooper and Joe Perry. Beats the hell out of retirement I guess (see the Too Old to Rock & Roll thread). Why not have an all-star cover band? It's fun. Not really my cuppa tea though. I'm generally nostalgia-free.

I kinda like it. It's cool to hear how established, veteran players cover old songs. To go along with the "too old to rock?" idea...I think older musicians can continue to play and interpret cover songs. But IMO very few artist (at least in rock music) continue to write many interesting songs after the age of their 30s or 40s. Covers are a good way for them to continue to be creative in the way they play and interpret a song, but with the luxury of choosing tried-and-true pieces of music.

I don't mind a little nostalgia, but it tends to be for the original artists, doing their original songs,

and not so much about people "covering" them. Although, it's fine, if folks want to do that! There's a Tom

Petty concert video, from his hometown in Florida, where they do a mini-set, of old "Yardbirds" songs,

that was "smokin'!" They really captured the original sound, and feel, to me. I saw the original Yardbirds,

in concert, several times (with Beck and Page, together), and Petty "nailed it!" So, that was "nostalgic"

Fun! [thumbup]

CB

I'm surprised with all the veteran rockers that are a part of this that nobody's commenting.

Oh well.....

When I play covers I get yelled at. I don't care about a bunch of guys that don't have to play covers playing covers.

rct

Archived