Gibson Brands Forums

57 J-50

duluthdan

Brought my 1957 J-50 into Rosewood Music in Duluth Minnesota for a tweak. This guitar recently went thru a neck-reset, complete fret job, new nut, new carved bridge, and dumped in a K&K. Just sort of passing thru town, and Waabi was kind enough to give a little nut slot TLC to lower the action a hair, with new John Pearse Medium PB strings. An old friend was kind enough to put it thru some paces while I listened out front. How's it sound ?

Those straight-braced mid/late 1950's J's (and SJ's and CW's) can sound and play really, really nicely. I bet that one's a good one.

Amen Brother. I am a big fan of the 1955-1959 J45/50/SJ. They give up a bit on the low end when compared with the earlier guitars but more than make up for it by being real punchy sounding. My second favorite Gibson of the past 50+ years was a 1956 SJ.

Very, very, VERY nice indeed?

Oh, and I do wish I had a store around here where I could drop by to have a guitar tweaked like that.

Lars

Lars, the shop in Duluth is 1,200 miles away from where I live - but I was visiting some folks, and made a quick call to this old friend, and boom badda boom, deal was done.

Sounds Great. I will own a 1967 J 50 some day ( year I was born)

Love Duluth by the way. I went to college right across the bridge in Superior and spent lots of time down there near the waterfront in c-park. Someday I am gonna retire to the Northland, buy one of those big victorian houses on the hill and fill it with my dogs and guitars. When I dream good things, it usually centers areound Duluth and sometimes there is a J 45 in there also for good measure. Duluth is like an Edward Hopper painting. Deserted diners, coffee shops with guys playing Dylan on stages in the corner, Old white washed windows downtown, a place where a man cam find hmself, or get lost in himself ( whichever he desires). I know the lakefront has been yuppified in the name of progress lately, but because of the weather, D-town will alway have teeth. If I could pick one guitar to represent Duluth, it would be the J -50. One of Dylans favorites when he first started out , fitting that his boyhood home is right up on the hill there.

Very nice Guitar man

Sounds Great. I will own a 1967 J 50 some day ( year I was born)

Love Duluth by the way. I went to college right across the bridge in Superior and spent lots of time down there near the waterfront in c-park. Someday I am gonna retire to the Northland, buy one of those big victorian houses on the hill and fill it with my dogs and guitars. When I dream good things, it usually centers areound Duluth and sometimes there is a J 45 in there also for good measure. Duluth is like an Edward Hopper painting. Deserted diners, coffee shops with guys playing Dylan on stages in the corner, Old white washed windows downtown, a place where a man cam find hmself, or get lost in himself ( whichever he desires). I know the lakefront has been yuppified in the name of progress lately, but because of the weather, D-town will alway have teeth. If I could pick one guitar to represent Duluth, it would be the J -50. One of Dylans favorites when he first started out , fitting that his boyhood home is right up on the hill there.

Very nice Guitar man

When tyne weather is nice, Duluth can be splendid. But, thats only about 45 days of the year. The rest of the time Lake Superior dictates, and the lake likes it cold and wet. I knew a girl that was renting a house in Duluth, and she would tell us people are always stopping, knocking, and asking if it was Ok to look around. She thought the world was full of lunatics until we told her that she was living next door to baby Bobby Zimmerman's Duluth Hillside birth home. [biggrin]

The guitar sounds really good, Dan. How in the world do you find such an old guitar in such good cosmetic condition!

Depends on what your measure is of "good condition. This thing is checked all over, little bit of chewed finish on the edge of the neck. Yeah, its in pretty good shape, but I would not give it a 10 in the appearance department.

J50%20%201957_zps1nchtbnq.jpg

Archived