Gibson Brands Forums

The horror of not having anyone theach you what music is.

Thundergod

I firmly believe in having technical prowess on your instrument. I also firmly believe in Neil Young's theory on creating music. To give all of yourself or lay yourself out bare emotionally when you play or create music.

So many people go through the motions to impress people or establish dominance over other players. Those people aren't musicians. They are competitive a$$holes who are so insecure that they hide in the shadows of other players who are also void of soul or creative integrity. These people I call "shredders" for obvious reasons. The other category is "songwriters".

While this is way too generalized in many people opinions, I feel any musician can be put in either category. A shredder is someone who spends all of their time blabbering about the new Satriani record or learning that last Van Halen lick. It's someone who's all about "the best of the best." I've even found a lot of Zeppelin fans who were what I call "shredders." I knew a drummer who would argue on end about how Led Zeppelin was "better than the Beatles." His big argument was that "Ringo isn't considered a good drummer, and Led Zeppelin was much more influential (that the Beatles)." Both of those points are great arguments between respectful musicians but this guy was just convinced his idols were the best.

What I call a songwriter is someone who appreciates the soul in the song. While there are so many great examples of this I'm going to use Neil Young because I'm listening to him right now. Neil Young is not the greatest singer in the world. Neil Young is not the greatest guitar player in the world. Does this take away anything from his music? Hell no. His songs reach multitudes of people because he writes them so anyone can relate to them. He can sit up on stage with just an acoustic guitar and move you to tears. He can also get up there with Crazy Horse and Old Black and rock your socks until they are on fire. He is considered one of the least technical players out there yet I still believe he's a raw, powerful, and emotive guitarist. He does it all with a certain simplicity too. He doesn't need the greatest band of virtuoso's behind him, and most of all he doesn't need anyone else's approval.

That's my whole point. When you make music to be be better than someone or to impress people, you aren't making art. When you make music to better yourself and expose your true self for the sake of creativity, then you have made something special, no matter who likes it or what people think of it.

I agree with just about every thing you said. I might add a category or two, but fundamentally I agree. I do have one point of order query. Are you saying we shouldn't share our music with others and ask for opinions?

Not at all. I believe that whoever wants to show their music should, they just don't need to worry about it being the "best song ever with the greatest guitar solo ever." As long as someone really tries, I will listen to matter how bad people think it is.

I'm saying we should create music for ourselves. I love showing my friends my songs and getting their opinions. I also love performing them for a crowd too. Sometimes people hate them but it doesn't bother me because I didn't write the song for someone else's approval.

Constructive criticism is wonderful, and I always take what people suggest into deep consideration. A "shredder" would tell someone to F*** off if they suggested that they do less solos or to make the existing ones shorter.

A little while ago my friend/bandmate suggested I focus more on rhythm guitar because he really thinks thats where I shine. I listened and agreed because after a little bit more talk we decided to simplify a lot of our songs. Due to our mutual respect we can suggest things like that without offending each other.

That video made me want to poke someone in eye - just a bunch of screechy sweepy scale stuff strung together. Why don't those guys ever bend strings? I'd so much rather here one sweet bend with some vibrato than that racket. I have nothing against speed - but that sounded like a couple of cats fighting over an anchovy.

Don't like it...not one bit...how about them hairdoos? But just for perspective' date=' check out this "tune" from around 1970...Slower, less technical, but still annoying...There's nothing new under the sun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaWtMyUsk9A[/quote']

I like Terry Kath, but that was horrendous. Did you know his last words were "Don't worry, it's not loaded"!

I played a lot of jazz in my youth (all piano back then). One time I was running up and down various tonal scales during a solo and my music teacher stops me and says "it's not the notes that you play that are important, it's the notes you DON'T play that important." Took me a while to understand that. These guys obviously don't get it, but someday they might.

The thread's name says it all. And for a long long time I had no one to teach me what was music.

At that struggling times searching for some indentity I became a fan of Dream Theater, Guns n' Roses, Van Halen and some other Bon Jovi or Metal bands. I knew Hendrix, Beatles, Clapton, Miles Davis, Brazilian Music and all sorts of good music, but I could not HEAR. It was like having s**t im my ears. I could not apreciate music or tone.

It took me very long till someone guided me on how to open my ears and listen to the sounds. I know it had nothing to do with my ears, but with my brain, my heart, my experiences, my failures, my growth.

The bad thing is that I became obssessed with tone....

I feel sorry for those guys in the video.

Archived