Gibson Brands Forums

What are you not good at, that you wish you were....

saturn

Business and promotion. I studied music/ guitar for 7 years in total and if I was better at the business side of things I would be making a full time living as a guitar teacher and performing more on the side...well I think I would?!

Well you make me feel real good Saturn. I am an artist. I've drawn and painted since 2nd grade and have been told by hundreds of people in my life time, they wished they had my skill. I don't know, I've done it at such a young age, it just comes natural to me. My wife says it's a God given talent and I agree! God gives all men different talents, otherwise we would all be the same. That's why I wish I could play the guitar better. It seems I go to my learning curve and stop. It's very hard for me to remember solos. I wish I could play blues. So I'm jealous of some of you folks because you play so well and I can't. msp_scared.gif

I remember being in school and was amazed how some kids could just doodle on the margin of their paper or on the cover of their text book and how good it was. One kid in particular in 4th grade. He was really into muscle cars and jacked-up trucks and was constantly drawing them. I thought it was the coolest thing and he tried to teach me but I was never any good. It just came naturally to him. Another friend of mine was good at drawing people. In just a few minutes he could sketch a classmate, teacher, Jimmy Carter, KISS...anyone... and he could capture their features so you immediately knew who it was! There are some real cool possibilities when you have that power.

The drummer and singer in my first band was also very talented artist and actually learned as a kid from an older lady who he claimed was the official artist to the last Czar's family in Russia. He would explain to me all about human body proportions , perspective and other technical aspects of drawing and painting. I thought it was very interesting, but again I could only watch him do it cause as much as I tried I just couldn't do it myself.

I've been thinking about this before responding. I'm going to assume that this is a question that's meant for a talent you don't have and wish you did aa opposed to something you can still develop a skill for. My first thought was "slide guitar" but then I thought, hell, you can learn to do that!

Then I got to thinking about something that I don't have a talent for but wish I did, but can't do much about it. I always sucked at stick and ball stuff, hence have little interest in it, but I can drive the wheels off of a race car, hence, a second passion!

What I do wish I could do is sing. I mean, yeah, I sing, but to have one of those Don Henley kind of voices, you know? Ain't gonna happen. [biggrin]

I've been thinking about this before responding. I'm going to assume that this is a question that's meant for a talent you don't have and wish you did aa opposed to something you can still develop a skill for. My first thought was "slide guitar" but then I thought, hell, you can learn to do that!

Then I got to thinking about something that I don't have a talent for but wish I did, but can't do much about it. I always sucked at stick and ball stuff, hence have little interest in it, but I can drive the wheels off of a race car, hence, a second passion!

What I do wish I could do is sing. I mean, yeah, I sing, but to have one of those Don Henley kind of voices, you know? Ain't gonna happen. [biggrin]

Yeah Dennis. That's kinda what I meant with my OP. Like I said with art, I could practice and try to learn all I want but don't think I will ever be very good at it.

Singing is another talent I wish I had. I can fake it on a few songs but most of the time, I know what note I want my voice to go to, but just can't seem to get it there. [blush]

Guitar is one...

I wish I'd started at music earlier in life; got to know the theory of it from a young age, and by now would have been much more proficient than I actually am.

And also mathematics; being better at this would save me a lot of hassle and additional learning that I need to get to grips with the engineering degree I'm taking.

A hijack of my own here... which eye would you use to look through a telescope? Which hand do you write with? Which foot do favor for cicking a ball?

I would use my right eye for the telescope (it's the only eye I have!) I write and Kick with my right hand/foot respectively.

I'm never "good enough" in my mind at anything. I always have strived for perfection (which is unobtainable) and should have been satisfied with excellence.

I'd like to really be better at finding more pleasure in doing things again. Sounds silly but everything has become a "task" to just get done or "over with." Even things that I use to like to do.

Aster

I wish that I could play guitar better than I do.

I wish that I could sing and play at the same time (I am one of those people who can't walk and chew gum at the same time - too many moving parts! :D. )

I wish that I could have learned to play on the drum set before I graduated H.S. (I was in the percussion section of the orchestra and I didn't get to the level for the drum kit in time, so I never learned formally. I taught myself half of "Paradise City" by Guns 'N' Roses - I punched myself in the face three times trying to do the transitions and gave up.

I don't have talent for guitar playing. I've played for years and all that serves to do is to allow me to see how much more talented others are at it than me. I feel like Salieri watching Mozart when I watch some kids in GC navigating the fretboard. I've become competent at playing and I've been complimented on some aspects of my playing, but I know that I do not have a talent for it.

My talent is for art; painting comes extremely naturally to me. The ease with which I can do art work is how I know that I have precious little talent for guitar.

Musically, I wish I'd have learned to play piano, and read music! I'm totally self-taught, and (no doubt) have

some "bad habits," that I might have avoided, had I been able to taken lessons and/or learned to sight read, music.

But, back then, there was no one around here, to teach me "guitar," per se'...at least, beyond a few chords, I/We

exchanged among ourselves. And, as far as Piano was concerned... =; "Boys, around here, don't PLAY 'piano', they

play FOOTBALL!!" [tongue][biggrin] LOL So, learning those things, would have been nice!

CB

I wish I'd lived my life for me and not others.

I've done this since about 1982.

I think....I suppose. I never saw it that way.

I was just earning a living, getting by....

You end up where you were fated to be IMO...

Playing Guitar, Playing Guitar

And this, always...... [mellow] [mellow]

Archived