Gibson Brands Forums

Playing in the dark….

onewilyfool

I usually go over a few songs when I go to bed at night…..lately I've been practicing with the lights off. Good practice! I can almost do "Blackbird" now in the dark. I'm often amazed by musicians, who can maintain eye contact with their audience, never looking at their guitar….lol….I guess with cowboy chords that's not too hard….but with a lot of songs I play, I'm up and down the neck….so this is good practice! I haven't mastered the eye contact with audience bit yet….especially if a beautiful woman is locking eyes with me….lol….but I don't have to look down as much!

Playing in the park. .

Yes, several times for thousands and thousands of people, , , and just under a tree.

Ouh, excuse me, you wrote 'dark'. Sure, all the time - stumble blindly forward trying to get from A to B . .

"Always carry a light bulp"

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . B. Dylan 1965

Playing without light on can be interesting. I actually do it once in a while.

But after midnite, I typically have a hyper dim lamp on plus 1 candle. Not a bad combo and I'm sure most people would call the room dark.

No prob - you soon get nite-vision of course and everything blends into a groovy very acoustic atmosphere - love it.

Btw I lied in post #5.

Never really played under a tree - yes, maybe once in the late 70's. But that was more like a country-side-party-fairground.

Shine on Wily

I don't play in the dark, but I do consciously practice playing without looking at my hands or the guitar, or at least no more than is absolutely necessary. I obviously can't do this while learning a new song, but do try it as a means of enhancing muscle memory while practicing.

And yeah, I make a lot of mistakes while doing it

I do not play with it in the dark.

I do not play with it in the park.

Not with a shark.

Not on an ark.

Not on a lark.

Afraid I'd bark.

I do not play with it in the dark.

If I did, it'd leave a mark.

haha...hope you're looking forward to your Saturday breakfast of Green Eggs and Ham

On a more serious note, I have come across one circumstance lately when it would have been great to be able to play without looking at the guitar. When I record songs, I always play and sing into the same mic at once. I don't seperate guitar and vocals on two tracks. When recording like I do, I notice that the vocals lose power and presence whenever I turn my head from the mic to look at the guitar neck. So I really try to play as much as possible without looking. Instead I try to keep my eyes on the mic, and whenever I need to look away, I try to do it without turning my head too much.

Lars

1447320124[/url]' post='1710953']

Playing guitar in the dark is hardly a serious topic.

Besides, wily is one of the best P takers on the forum.

Have a cup of tea mick :)

Read my post again ...................... Get it ....................... No? Oh well!

I can't drive in the dark ........... Can't see the gear stick!

Read my post again ...................... Get it ....................... No? Oh well!

I can't drive in the dark ........... Can't see the gear stick!

Mick, you're too subtle for this crowd. They need their eyes opened to the concept of irony. Many can't see the forest for the trees. Others don't want to believe what their eyes are telling them. Me? I'll just try to keep my eye on the ball, and not lose sight of what's important......

Time to remember this blessed Board has a deep and very fine tradition for sometimes generating absurd threads.

It's been a while since the last one blossomed, but we might be on track right here.

All thanks to the return of dinosaur member and thread-host owf. This one goes out to you.

Just lean back and switch out the light ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1ewJYxT0ZQ

1447376929[/url]' post='1711194']

Mick, you're too subtle for this crowd. They need their eyes opened to the concept of irony. Many can't see the forest for the trees. Others don't want to believe what their eyes are telling them. Me? I'll just try to keep my eye on the ball, and not lose sight of what's important......

Speaking of impotent... Maybe it's the playing in the da... Forget it.

1447376929[/url]' post='1711194']

RAOTFPMSWL....... Ha. Ha. Ha

Archived