Gibson Brands Forums

I'm Really Getting Sick Of................

Murph

I used to wear Levis's 517s until they changed the pattern and now there's room for a couple squirrels and all their nuts in the seat. [cursing]

I had never heard of Carrhart when I first got my Walls Blizzard Pruf coveralls. Still got 'em.

Anybody remember DeeCee? That was quality stuff.

Re; the irritating TV commercials.

I stopped watching network television about six or seven years ago.

I keep the TV off and unplugged all week, and then plug it in on the weekends to watch football.

And when there is a lull in the football action, I get up and get another beer, rather than watch the commercials that come on during the breaks.

In January, when all the football is over, I unplug it again, and the TV stays dormant until the next September.

Life is so much better now.

The ol' carhartts. I wore that stuff for over 30 years. Bib overalls and coats from my Railroading days. Most all of the guys working there wore them. Then welding and burning took a toll on them sooner or later but we had to wear thick stuff with burning jackets, leathers, chaps. Ever have a enormously hot piece of slag go down your color and end up in your boot? Yep, we had a thing called the Railroad dance. If you saw a guy all of a sudden jumping and dancing around you knew he caught a hot piece of slag. Lol

All too familiar with that 'dance'. Been away from welding for almost 30 years, and was rudely reminded Thursday night whilst carbon arc gouging. No matter how well you think you're 'covered up', that damned stuff always manages to find a 'chink-in-yer-armor'...

Re; the irritating TV commercials.

I stopped watching network television about six or seven years ago.

I keep the TV off and unplugged all week, and then plug it in on the weekends to watch football.

And when there is a lull in the football action, I get up and get another beer, rather than watch the commercials that come on during the breaks.

In January, when all the football is over, I unplug it again, and the TV stays dormant until the next September.

Life is so much better now.

Excellent plan ...

Well, for our overseas Forumites: Carhart is a brand of work clothing. The winter versions are quite warm and are designed to take the rigors of outdoor work. Heavy cotton weave shell, various sorts of lining.

Duluth Trading is another firm emphasizing clothing for work purposes - longer-tailed shirts, gussets in some shirts to allow more arm movement, etc. Some of their cartoon-style adverts (we just call 'em "ads") have folks in supposedly humorous situations to emphasize their clothing is made to move and work in.

Here's one example:

i saw the same shirts at my local TSC. i shop there alot. yea, if it's "fashionable", i avoid it. my wife has a closet full of Under Armor clothes. she asks me from time to time when am I going to get something by Under Armor. I say "never".

The Under Armor factory is 15 minutes from my house and there's an outlet store 5 minutes away. Half of my family's wardrobe is UA. [rolleyes] I should just get a job there.

My drummer's wife works for Plank, the owner. We're supposed to take some promo photos on his estate called Sagamore Farms. He's buying up everything in an area of South Baltimore called Locust Point. He will also be putting out his own brand of whiskey soon, called Sagamore Rye. I think the guy is taking over the world. [biggrin]

Duluth Trading is another firm emphasizing clothing for work purposes - longer-tailed shirts, gussets in some shirts to allow more arm movement, etc. Some of their cartoon-style adverts (we just call 'em "ads") have folks in supposedly humorous situations to emphasize their clothing is made to move and work in.

I am currently reading a book titled Brules by Harry Combs about the American west after the civil war. Carhart is mentioned a few times and I believe something called the Minnesota coat. Apparently used by many ranchers and mountain men in the 4 corners of the country. Big in Utah.

Archived