Gibson Brands Forums

wood treatments -conditioners and cleaners

stumps

I've always used lemon oil on my fretboards and bridges, I'd apply when changing strings. I wanted to get some string cleaner and hi gloss polish, so I ordered a pack of Luthier's Choice by Gibson, comes with the polish, string cleaner and fretboard conditioner.

Does anyone know what the Gibson fretboard conditioner is? Is it just lemon oil? anyone have any feedback on these products?

Thanks, I'm changing out the factory strings today - I wanted to use the Gibson masterbuilt premium strings - I wanted to keep that sound I am getting from the guitar - and couldn't find them locally so I had to order them and wait. Lucky me, I was home for a snow day today and the package arrived, so I'll spend some time changing strings today.

well, I just switched out the strings and it looks like they didn't put the light 12 gauges on at the factory, they had mediums on her. I emailed Gibson customer service to be sure, and was told 12 gauge, I think they just got the wrong info. oh well, back to get some more strings, I like the deeper sound out of the factory strings, so I'll switch 'em out with the medium gauge strings.

used the fretboard conditioner, has a bit of a yellow tint, so I'm willing to gamble it's lemon oil.

the high gloss polish is great, too.

They ship everything out from the factory with lights (12's). I wonder if the place where you bought it switched the strings out before you took delivery??

I bought at guitar center, I can't imagine they'd take the time to switch out strings, unless a string broke and they restrung the whole thing. The guitar left the factory on July 30th and I bought her a couple of weeks ago, so it's possible.

Weird. There was definitely the med. 13s on there, though. I've switched back and forth on my other guitars, but the sound on this guitar was so different I wasn't sure, I'm going to put the 13s on there and see if I can get that original sound back. The strings that were on her definitely gave the high notes a nice ring, and the lower notes a nice rumble and purr, distinctive. I had to order the strings (musiciansfriend.com) because no one around here stocks the gibson strings, so I'll have a few days to play around with the lights first.

Hey Stumps. I was advised not to use lemoil on my ebony board. I did it once though with no damage done. I don't know what's right but I only lemoil the rosewood boards about 2 or 3 times a year.

really? good to know. I wonder if Gibson has anything about that... ?

thanks for the heads up, I'll see if I can track that down.

Hi, first post here...

I recently took my J45TV in for a setup and the luthier used/recommended linseed oil (boiled/refined only) for rosewood and ebony fretboards. He said a little goes a long way and that after rubbing a small amount on with a rag you should use a toothbrush to thoroughly work it in to the wood up to the frets and keep it from building up in the tiny crevices in surface of the wood. Wipe off any excess when you're done.

He's been building/repairing instruments for 30 years, so I took his advice and went ahead and picked up a small bottle of refined linseed oil from a local art supply store.

All the best,

Guth

pssst stumps! it's 3 words (i've used the same ones to talk to those guys too) :-

What model guitar do you have?

new Songwriter Deluxe Studio

(you lost me with the 3 words thing... of course, it's early in the morning)

Well folks, according to Bob at Gibson customer service, lemon oil or the Gibson Luthier's choice treatment are BOTH FINE for use on ebony fretboards... below is the quote from the email:

"Thanks for contacting Gibson. Whether using lemon oil or Gibson Luthier's Choice Fretboard Conditioner (part # AIGLC-965), treating the fingerboard only once or twice a year would be enough."

I also have a link to someplace on the Gibson website but I didn't copy it over... I'm glad I at least got that answered.

An excerpt from one of the definitive books (Guitar Player Repair Guide - Dan Erlewine) on the subject of guitar upkeep & repair: "Don't use oil every time you change strings, use it only when the fingerboard is dry & in need of it - perhaps several times a year for the average player." Avoid allowing too much oil to seep in around the frets because this can soften the slots & make it difficult keep your frets seated. I like PETROS Fingerboard Oil (http://www.petrosguitars.com/polish.htm). Bruce (and Matt) not only build some mighty fine instruments, they offer top quality care products as well. However, my main "juice" is now, has always been & always WILL be <drumroll> Gibson World's Finest (no exaggeration!) Pump Polish.

As an aside, Dan is one of the nicest, most knowledgeable humans on the planet when it comes to all things "axe-ish." His bellybutton lint contains more guitar building/upkeep/repair info than most of us mortals will ever acquire.

Lots of good info: http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/default.htm

and last, but not least:

"Everything for building and repairing stringed instruments: http://www.stewmac.com/

Note (the usual disclaimers, blah, blah & stuff): Dan's associated with StewMac. I'm not associated with any of the above (or below) in any way. And this is just one ol' plank spanker's opinion after 40+ years of learning the hard way...

Tonefully (apology to Gerald W @ Kendrick!),

SmoothyJ

I'm curious as to what the draw is to the Gibson Masterbilt stirngs. Since the release of Elixer's nanoweb strings, I have been more than pleased with the tone and life I get from them.

...I predominantly play country, blues, and rock on my 1970 Gibson J-50. Would the Masterbilts be a step up from my Nanowebs?

I'm curious as to what the draw is to the Gibson Masterbilt stirngs. Since the release of Elixer's nanoweb strings' date=' I have been more than pleased with the tone and life I get from them.

...I predominantly play country, blues, and rock on my 1970 Gibson J-50. Would the Masterbilts be a step up from my Nanowebs?[/quote']

I think strings might just come down to personal taste. I've only played the elixers a few times and really didn't care for them -too soft, too light, something about them...

the only reason I am putting the gibson mastebuilts on my new guitar is that I just absolutely love the sound I was getting from it when I bought it, and I wanted to keep that sound. Of course, it had mediums on there and I put 12-lights on it because that is what Gibson told me to do, so now I have to wait a few days to change them back to medium 13s.... on my other guitars I used predominantly Martin and sometimes GHS strings, but on this new songwriter of mine, I'm going to play the masterbuilts for a while...

so I don't know how they would compare to the nanowebs, I think if you've found them to be your strings and then keep strummin' and pluckin' them. All I can tell you is that on my songwriter, those 13's really rumbled and purred on the low notes and I got clear, long lasting rings on the high notes... something about them I just really loved. maybe we each have a ear for something that is unique to us, and when we hear it we know it... such was the case with my guitar...

pssst stumps! it's 3 words (i've used the same ones to talk to those guys too) :-

(you lost me with the 3 words thing... of course' date=' it's early in the morning) [/quote']

Hey stumps --

I think he's referring to your signature: "wow" (1 word) + "thank you" (2 words) = 3 words.

SmoothHead: thanks for the link to fretnot -- interesting site. And + for the link to Stewmac.

On the issue of treating the fretboard, here's what Frank Ford (of Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto) has to say about it:

"Some players talk of "feeding" the unfinished surface of the fingerboard with oil. Fingerboards are not actually hungry and don't really need to be fed, but a light coating of oil gives them a finished and clean look. If you do choose to oil the fingerboard, do it with care. Use a tiny amount of lemon oil or mineral oil on the rag, wipe it on the fingerboard, and then wipe it all off. You don't want to saturate the fingerboard, and you don't want a lot of oil running down into the fret slots. If there are cracks in your fingerboard, consider having them filled professionally, and don't get oil in the cracks. Generally, you'll want to stay away from linseed and other natural vegetable oils, which become sticky and gummy over time. This kind of fingerboard cleaning should be a once-a-year event, at the most. Too much scrubbing and oiling can easily do more damage than good."

This is taken from his article on cleaning your guitar on the frets.com website. You might want to check out the whole article, which you can find here. It's well worth your time, as is his whole site IMHO.

The fretboard conditioner from Gibson (Luthier's Choice) does appear to smell like lemon. It should also be noted that Gibson polishing cloths are made with cotton - another supposed no no.

Ebony doesn't absorb oil. It needs proper humidity, and that is the bottom line.

Rosewood finger boards have been oiled with lemon oil in my house for over 30 years. I have no problems on any guitar I own with finish reactions or any other troubles. I use cheap lemon oil, one dollar a bottle, from the Dollarama. I have two guitars that are both worth more than my new car, and they get the lemon oil swab from December to May every year on their finger boards and bridges.

Trust me, if lemon oil was all that dangerous, I would be in a real bad situation. Don't get me wrong, I use small amounts dabbed on a cloth and rubbed into the fingerboards in little circles like a French polish, but I must have left enough residue on the finish over the years to cause damage if damage was going to happen.

The best cleaner for a guitar is still distilled water and a clean microfiber cloth. In Canada, Long and McQuade sell microfiber guitar cleaning cloths for $3.69 - Canadian funds.

edited from ballcorner's post: "Don't get me wrong, I use small amounts"

That is the secret to using lemon oil, isn't it. Some folks say it does a number on the fret security if one drowns the board. I find it has to be done all too often in those small amounts. Worst thing is, none of those enhancers have ever helped me play better. I suppose practice is the best conditioner of all.

For Fretboards, I stick to what Taylor guitars recommended a few years back... "Boiled" linseed oil. Bought a can about 2 years ago and the can will likely still be almost full when i die. It takes a miniscule amount and I would only do it about once a year at most. I actually have never oiled the Ebony boards on my Taylor's as they just never look like they need it and used it only on the Rosewood board on my Gibson and other rosewood fretboards I have had on past guitars.

Best cleaner is water with a micro-fiber cloth on cleaning day and a nice wipe down with a very well washed 100% cotton cloth diaper that I keep in each case for a wipe down prior to putting it away every night. When I get a bag of diapers, the first thing I do is wash them several times in the washer before using them in a case. Never use any type of downy or conditioner and very little soap and in a few short wash cycles, you have great well worn cotton wipes for the evening wipe down. :-

For Fretboards' date=' I stick to what Taylor guitars recommended a few years back... "Boiled" linseed oil...[/quote']

This is what Collings recommends for their fretboards, too, and reminds us that "Less is always best." Funnily enough, they also recommend (clean, of course!) diapers to wipe down the guitar.

Archived