Gibson Brands Forums

Decisions, decisions..which one to go for?

Kenan

I'm torn between 50's Tribute:

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/Les-Paul-50s-Tribute.aspx

And Faded Studio:

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/Les-Paul-Studio-Faded.aspx#LPSTWCCH1

I already own LP 70's Tribute and LP Standard Plus Top Pro (made by Epiphone).

Now..the GoldTop looks really nice but it's a bit pricey for me..AND it appears to have similar pups as my 70s Tribute (high gain ones).

The Faded Cherry Studio however, is not really a "looker" but with a price I can live with...

The only reason I am considering the GoldTop is its looks (yes, I am THAT simple.. :D). I really like the beautiful AAA maple top on my Epi and if I was to buy another Gibson, I would like it to be a bit more than a "vintage" finish..

Of course, this is going to be ultimately my decision and I'm aware of that..but I was just wondering what do you guys think? :)

I think its an easy decision then as long as you don't mind the faded finish...

I have burstbucker Pros on my 2008 Standard and love them...

You want a classic look.... Then id go for this in a second..

LPSTSFCH1_MAIN_HERO_01_zpsi7uicpo6.jpg

Of course.. all guitars play and feel slightly different... So if you can you gotta go play some... And if you don't like the one hanging in the shop ask if they have any more of the same colour in the back which sometimes they do.... Its well worth trying more than one of the same guitar if you can.

^^Hey Rabs, that's a Vintage Sunburst, right? My 70's Tribute is in that color that's why I was aiming for either Faded Cherry (Studio) or Gold Top (Tribute). My Epi is in Herritage Cherry Sunburst so either worn cherry or gold color to add some divercity to my small collection. :)

^^Hey Rabs, that's a Vintage Sunburst, right? My 70's Tribute is in that color that's why I was aiming for either Faded Cherry (Studio) or Gold Top (Tribute). My Epi is in Herritage Cherry Sunburst so either worn cherry or gold color to add some divercity to my small collection. :)

Oh right I get you...

Nice.. My brother in law had one of the older faded studios in worn brown also with the BB Pros, its a real nice guitar [thumbup]

I already own LP 70's Tribute and LP Standard Plus Top Pro (made by Epiphone).

May I ask what you're going to use it for?

I mean, since you already have two and they both seems to cover a lot of tones that you can use.

Perhaps you wan't a "better" guitar (in the sense of better for you)?

Have you considered selling the ones you have to finance a new purchase?

May I ask what you're going to use it for?

I mean, since you already have two and they both seems to cover a lot of tones that you can use.

Perhaps you wan't a "better" guitar (in the sense of better for you)?

Have you considered selling the ones you have to finance a new purchase?

The ones I have are already great guitars. It's just that I got the Lester bug (and financially ok) and just want to get another one, this time Gibson but with a bit nicer finish. There is no rational reason behind the purchase really..I just..feel the need. As to, what I like to play, classic hard rock, blues..yeah..that would be it.

Wouldn't sell any of my current guitars, that's not an option..I am too possesive of them to do that.. :D

As for the tone..as long as it warm and Lester-like, it's good for me..I just don't like "thin" sounding guitars (aka Fenders and the like)..and you know what? I often catch myself just staring at my guitars, how beautiful they are..sometimes I just enjoy looking at them and remembering the tones they can produce when I play them.. :)

P.S.

If I get a new one, it is most likely going to be a Gold Top. :)

^^So you think the Tribute models have lower grade woods than the Studio? Interesting..wasn't aware of that..?

Think like a big corporation. [thumbup] Seriously though I doubt its inferior to the studio. Its still a multi part mahogany body with a 2 piece maple cap. In Gibson terms at this price point you are not getting their good stuff. The grade of the wood - in the terms of knots or blemishes etc has no bearing on the tone. So really, get what you like the look f=of and what suits you tonally. There is a significant tonal difference between the high output ceramic 490/498t and the alnico v bb pros. Neither is better or worse than the other, it's subjective.

There is a significant tonal difference between the high output ceramic 490/498t and the alnico v bb pros...

The 490 has an AlNiCo II and the 498 has an AlNiCo V.

Perhaps you are thinking of the 496 / 500 ceramic pairing, Grosvenor?

In terms of being a "One Trick Pony" the 490 / 498 has been standard fitment to the Les Paul Custom (and countless other models) since Lord knows when and they seem to do just fine for most folks.

Pip.

The tribute bodies are made of multiple pieces and goodness knows what is buried under all that black and gold paint. I would get a studio personally.

The Studio specs say multipiece, too. Seems like the Worn Cherry finish is the only one showing what back you get.

^^So you think the Tribute models have lower grade woods than the Studio? Interesting..wasn't aware of that..?

To my guess it's not about lower grade. Using smaller planks glued together is cheaper. Epiphone LP backs typically are made of five pieces and backed with a veneer when finished transparent or translucent. The number of pieces is visible from the sides. My Epi 1960 Tribute Plus LP sounded just like the other ones I checked out then. Their construction obviously evens out the tonal differences to a high degree. One-piece bodies often have different, clearly discernible sonic characteristics.

In case you want a Gold Top, the Tribute model would have to be your choice. I think I'd prefer the covered BB Pros of the Studio, and my like for being able to look at the back would make me going for the Worn Cherry one. Anyway, playing and comparing is always best.

I'm not sure if there are differences between the 50's rounded and '59 rounded neck profiles. The specs state same thicknesses...

I have ProBuckers on my Epi Standard Pro and, being well aware those may not be exactly the same as BurstBuckers, they do have sort of a "tight" sound..while my LP Tribute 70s (Gibby) has these Dirty Fingers pickups which are really loud and warm + the fact that it doesn't have any "fat" finish which would apparently choke out the sound, it has a very vibrant sound..(which I really like) Now, the Studio Faded is also pretty much "naked" but I'm not sure how warm and "mellow" are the BurstBuckers..but in all honesty, both are, IMO, great guitars and whichever I choose to go for, I'm pretty sure I won't be dissapointed. I can't try them out unfortunately (online order) but so far I had pretty good run getting my fat bottomed girls like that..

It really WILL come down to you hearing the things for yourself, Kenan.

I agree fully with Cap's assessment of the BBs and the '57s. The BBs do have a very rich, fat sound with plenty of treble 'bite'.

My own preference is for simple '57 Classics specifically because they have a more subdued / less 'in-your-face' character than BBs.

IMX the 490 / 498s are a half-way-house in that they are pretty great at most things.

They are less lairy than your Dirty Fingers and more subtle than the BBs would be.

But throw in your own amp / amp settings / musical preferences / pick attack and whether or not you have any pedals in the mix and it's obvious we are all playing Blind Man's Buff.

Except you.

You are the only one who can say which will be the best-sounding guitar for you.

Pip.

The 490 has an AlNiCo II and the 498 has an AlNiCo V.

Perhaps you are thinking of the 496 / 500 ceramic pairing, Grosvenor?

In terms of being a "One Trick Pony" the 490 / 498 has been standard fitment to the Les Paul Custom (and countless other models) since Lord knows when and they seem to do just fine for most folks.

Pip.

Yes I made a mistake there. I just realized and logged on to correct my post but you beat me to it. [biggrin]

For me there is a big difference in added value purely in finish terms between a faded studio and a 50's tribute for the actual price difference (£100). I would definitely try before you buy.

Returning a guitar insured by courier will cost you £60 or so. That's got to be more than the cost of a tank of gas to go try one in the nearest major city first. Since you are paying RRP you really may as well go to a dealer and put hands on it first. Its only worth taking a punt online I find when the price is heavily discounted.

Wood Species: Plain Maple

Pieces: 2

Grade: A-HD,SV, C-GS, SE

Binding: None

Back

Wood Species: Mahogany

Pieces: Multi

Density: Low

Wood Species: Maple

Pieces: 2

Grade: C

Back

Wood Species: Mahogany

Pieces: Multi

Density: Medium

Without looking, which do you think refers to which guitar? The 50's tribute or the studio?

In terms of pups/sound I reckon if you budget an extra £150-200 for boutique pups down the line you can't go wrong with this:

150817288791002.jpg

Aesthetically that wins hands down over a faded studio. For me anyway. It looks bang on too for the era. Also just look at that slab of rosewood. Yes please!! The only quibble I have is the black paint and what is underneath it. I mean, epiphone does this, thats why they are cheaper.. Look at the headstock of the tributes and the studios. They've totally enclosed it (and the neck) in paint on the tributes.

You can buy nickel covers cheaply enough if you don't like the open tops too. So that should not be a motivating factor when buying either..

Do try it first though. The rounded profile neck on the tribute is not the same as the slim taper on the studios and they will not sound the same acoustically either. Studios have always been intended to sound as good as Standards hence they have the slightly better wood and the bbpros but zero finish.

Its all about what feels good and sounds good and even among these guitars they are not all the same sounding or feeling. Try try try before you buy. You might unearth a gem or find nothing sounds any good in the shop and prefer to wait for something else/save a little more.

PS: This website has the best product shots I have seen of the 2016 models http://www.peachguitars.com/guitars/electric-guitars/gibson-2016/

The p90 60's tribute is absolutely gorgeous oh my. [scared]

1446818037_1077.jpg

My bank account just seems to empty itself each year... [cursing]

Archived