Gibson Brands Forums

Limited Hummingbird

Twisted sister

I'm considering buying a limited Hummingbird. The ad claims that only 30 of these instruments were produced. Where can I find documentation to back this up?

If you haven't seen this already, here's Gibson's web page regarding this guitar:

Hummingbird Custom Koa

According to the first page "the Hummingbird Custom Koa combines the fundamental features of the original with the fine work of Gibson master luthier Ren Ferguson." So if Ren worked on it there probably were only 30 of them made. And it might have collector value since he's no longer with Gibson.

To know the production numbers for sure you can contact Gibson customer service or maybe Jeremy can respond to this post.

If you want a 'bird for playing and not so much for bling you might check out the 2016 Hummingbird Vintage.

SSHBVNGH1_FINISHES_FAMILY.jpg

It's getting very good reviews and features a torrified top and Plek set-up on the neck. It also has the traditional tonewoods as opposed to koa.

Not much to add. As 'Run' posted from L&M in Canada - it does appear only 30 were made. I have a J45 Custom Koa which was in a run of only 50. The paperwork in the case stated it was a 'Limited Run', I don't remember if it stipulated 50 though. I have read frequently that these runs are truly kept to the volume stated.

As far as the guitar - it is obviously stunning. Almost too beautiful to play, but not quite. Certainly too beautiful to take gigging. But no doubt to0 great of a player to sit in a case under the bed, or even a display case.

The Koa is extremely nice - a beautiful wood under any circumstances. I would think Koa b&s will make it sound a bit brighter than the traditional mahogany version. Ren Ferguson left Gibson a few years ago, So he would not have worked directly on these guitars. He probably worked on the inlays that were used, or at the very least designed them. Still, adds 'value' to this masterpiece of function and form.

If I didn't already have an H'Bird TV and the j45 CK, I would jump on this like a frog on a Jume Bug. G'Luck!

Beautiful looking guitar. I also like the new torrified HB. I have a few Limited editions and my opinion/experience is that it does not add any value to the guitar in the very near future. Maybe 60 years from now? Gibson seems to make a lot of limited editions/run and then in another 5 years they do another limited run very similar. If you like it and think it's worth the money go for it but don't think because it's a limited edition it's going to increase in value anytime soon. Most custom guitars wind up selling used for about the same as their standard models plus a little extra for any exotic woods or inlays but nowhere near their purchase price.

Here's a stunner on EBay from a limited run 9 years ago (no affiliation)

http://www.ebay.com/...ZEAAOSwAKxWaMzE

Gibson seems to make a lot of limited editions/run and then in another 5 years they do another limited run very similar.

Here's a stunner on EBay from a limited run 9 years ago (no affiliation)

http://www.ebay.com/...ZEAAOSwAKxWaMzE

And as proof you're correct, the Gibson ad I posted above is apparently from the 2006 batch (with Ren) and the one from the OP's Reverb ad is from a new 2015 batch (no Ren).

If the OP is buying on the chance it will be an investment, you might want the git Dave has posted on the chance Ren guitars go the way of Lloyd Loar. (Which probably took 60 years as Dave has noted.)

Gibson's "limited runs" are a bit different from what most people would interpret that to mean. In this specific case, only 30 of these were made for that particular run, which was done in 2015. However, this particular model has been around since the early 2000's and literally hundreds of them have been made. Possibly well over a thousand. Exactly like it.

With each run, Gibson states how many are made. Therefore, only 30 of this guitar were made for the run, but Gibson does several runs of this model every year. I'm a dealer and I've personally owned at least 10 of them. Here's one of mine for sale right now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-Gibson-Hummingbird-Custom-Koa-Acoustic-Guitar-/172015258787?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Mine has an ebony fretboard instead of the rosewood on the 2015 model you're examining, but is otherwise identical. Not necessarily trying to sell you mine. Just giving you the heads up that the guitar is not one of 30, though Gibson will word it that way to sell more guitars.

I'm told that every guitar is made different throughout the years. Meaning only 30 period were made of this model with the different wood combination. You said it yourself, your has ebony this one has rosewood.

Gibson's "limited runs" are a bit different from what most people would interpret that to mean. In this specific case, only 30 of these were made for that particular run, which was done in 2015. However, this particular model has been around since the early 2000's and literally hundreds of them have been made. Possibly well over a thousand. Exactly like it.

With each run, Gibson states how many are made. Therefore, only 30 of this guitar were made for the run, but Gibson does several runs of this model every year. I'm a dealer and I've personally owned at least 10 of them. Here's one of mine for sale right now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-Gibson-Hummingbird-Custom-Koa-Acoustic-Guitar-/172015258787?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Mine has an ebony fretboard instead of the rosewood on the 2015 model you're examining, but is otherwise identical. Not necessarily trying to sell you mine. Just giving you the heads up that the guitar is not one of 30, though Gibson will word it that way to sell more guitars.

I'm told that every guitar is made different throughout the years. Meaning only 30 period were made of this model with the different wood combination. You said it yourself, your has ebony this one has rosewood.

The reason mine has ebony instead of rosewood is because Gibson ceased all use of ebony in acoustic guitars in 2012. Every Gibson acoustic after 2012 has had rosewood fretboards, or in rare cases richlite.

Here's an example: http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/24804/Used-2014-Gibson-Hummingbird-Birds-In-Flight-Figured-Koa-Acoustic-Guitar-Natural/

This guitar was produced in 2014 and is exactly the same in every possible way to the one you are looking at. It's from a run produced last year. Gibson does several runs of these every year because they are popular and sell well. The section in the pdf saying how many are produced is giving the production number for this specific run, not for all-time production.

They are beautiful guitars, but if you're buying it because it's one of only 30 made, that's probably not a good reason to buy it. There are way more than 30 of them with the exact specs of this one. If you're buying it because you like the guitar, then by all means do so. They are great guitars.

Wildwood has two of them available right now. If you'd like a third opinion, call them and ask them. They'll verify that plenty more than 30 of those have been built over the years.

I'm sure there were more than 30 built through the years....doesn't mean they aren't rare and valuable.

I own a 2011 version, and I LOVE it.... and spruce is starting to age, and that only makes it better.

It's NOT my favorite guitar I have..... that spot is reserved for my 2003 DIF. My "Go To" guitar is my

1979 Dove, (sentimental value since my beautiful bride bought it for me when we didn't have a pot to

pee in, (or a window to throw it out of). And I'm sitting at my kitchen table playing on my old beater,

(1969 Jubilee).

However it IS a wonderful guitar!

Here's a clip, (don't mind the singing).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbbSuWD4Iac

I'm sure that's list, not street.

Back in 2011 I paid $4500, (with case).

as of now.. your U.S list is Canadas selling price.. so I would guess its around 10 Plus Canadian List.. we get bent over a barrel up here..

Archived