Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup for my new Gibson

Bruce14

Hi all, I will be the proud owner of a Sheryl Crow Southern Jumbo in the next few weeks. It's the non pick up model, I will be looking at getting one installed eventually. I am hesitant of getting any type of UST installed, the sound and action of the guitar is simply amazing and I don't want to upset that balance. The pick up model sold by Gibson uses the Trance Amulet so I was thinking about putting that in eventually. In the meantime I'll look at a soundhole pickup and who knows, that might be all I'll need.

The style of music will be mainly strumming, a little bit of picking, folk country type stuff (AA Bondy, Ben Ottewell). Not big venues, just amplified enough to play with a drummer mainly.

My wife just bought a J165EC with the Fishman Aura Pro installed. Still playing with it but the best sound seems to be a blend of the imaging and the pickup. Not something I would install in mine though, I don't want to cut any holes in the guitar with the exception for mounting the jack. Any work I have done will be done by a luthier.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated :)

Get the one Sheryl uses: The Trance Mono. http://www.tranceaudio.com/dualmono.html

I had this in an SJ - wonderful, now its headed to the D-35.

I put a K&K Pure Mini in my '57 J-50 and it takes a bit of putzing around to remove a boomy sound. With the Trance, it truly was plug and play, leaving all EQ flat, and no putzing around.

I haven't heard of the Lace sound hole pickup, I'll check it out. I was thinking of maybe a passive LR Baggs M1.

Definitely leaning towards the Trance, how feedback resistant is it? Do you have the volume and tone control model? I don't think I've seen it for sale in Australia, would probably have to import it, not that I have a problem with that.

I'd like to be able to have a listen to the K&K as well, lots of happy users. I do like the idea of it being passive = no batteries.

I have the k&k pure ultra.

Fantatsic pick up.

Nice sound , or as nice as can be from a pick up.

No DI here or anything , just straight into a board and PA.

Like sal says , dan knows his onions.

The trance amulet wouldve been my forst choice , but the budget beat me .

Have swore i'll put one in the j45 one day

Get the best and IMHO I side with Dan, I have installed a Trance mono myself in my Mystic RW J45 custom best accoustic pu I have used. Bothe through a SA220 and now a Bose Model II

I also have a SCrow SJ the one that came with the Trance stereo ( same as the Jackson Browne) and that is what convinced me to change all my guitars to the Trance system I have 2 more Amulet Mv left to install . Get the best you won't be disappointed.

Thanks everyone, appreciate all the suggestions. I think I will go with the Trance, the extra money will be worth it, especially when you consider how much the guitar costs in the first place. It will have to wait a little while though (probably end up being around $6-700 with installation no thanks to the poor Aussie dollar) so I'll get a sound hole pickup in the interim which I can use on a couple of my other guitars as well.

Sjl200 what's your thoughts on the SCSJ? I was looking at a J45 maybe the true vintage but this guitar just blew me away. Would have liked to have tried some of the custom model J45s but they are pretty scarce here, could only find the standard and true vintage models.

To my eye and ears the SCSJ Model A is one fantastic guitar. On its own the tone is pure Gibson thump and a joy to play and listen to. It sounds much "older" then it is , but it is built like an old one. When I plug in its by far the closest thing to an expensive studio microphone sound. No quack, no squeal just pure accoustic wood sound. That's to my ear I am very happy with its tonel capacity. I did buy it with out playing it (acceptable return policy) and I "feel" I got a really good one. Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn.

I love the stero Trance Amulet and I also have 2 J45s with the trance MVT just love that setup.

1453327818[/url]' post='1732615']

Thanks everyone, appreciate all the suggestions. I think I will go with the Trance, the extra money will be worth it, especially when you consider how much the guitar costs in the first place. It will have to wait a little while though (probably end up being around $6-700 with installation no thanks to the poor Aussie dollar) so I'll get a sound hole pickup in the interim which I can use on a couple of my other guitars as well.

Sjl200 what's your thoughts on the SCSJ? I was looking at a J45 maybe the true vintage but this guitar just blew me away. Would have liked to have tried some of the custom model J45s but they are pretty scarce here, could only find the standard and true vintage models.

The nice thing about the K&K is the cost... $100ish US. You could do the install yourself. Just go slow.

K&K Mini blended with an external microphone. In my experience, this is closer to a natural sound than any pickup on its own. The microphone doesn't even have to be that expensive. I use a Shure beta 57 or 58 and it sounds good.

I've got an LR Baggs Lyric in my J45TV and one of my AJs. My other Gibsons have the Baggs unit they came with. I know some people don't like them, but I don't have any issues. I like the acoustic tone they send out. I've used a Baggs M1 active pickup on some of my other guitars and it pretty sweet too.....Naturally, how good a guitar sounds through its pickup is at least equally dependent on the other equipment being used.

I think I've had one of everything. I agree with the passive not being powerful enough to keep up with a band. When I played in full band (keyboards, horns,....) I used a real electric guitar.

In not so busy bands, something with a good pre amp. I like the Taylor electronics.

In a quieter setting looking for that true acoustic sound I liked the K&K trinity and the eclipse blend until I used the Trance system. It's just a truer sound to me or just mic the guitar.

Archived