Gibson Brands Forums

Setup on SCSJ, and J-45 TV

siddhartha

Hey guys,

Just posted in response to a question over on the AGF, and thought I'd bring it over here

Recently, I brought both my SCSJ (2013) and my J-45 TV (2007) to my luthier for some work. I had the pick guard changed on the SCSJ to a firestripe, and the J-45 had tuner swap. Both had bridges ramped/slotted, and bone bridge pins installed.

My luthier had a 40's banner J-45 in the shop, with a buddy/owner. They said that the sound of the SCSJ was on-par with the 40's banner J-45, and was superior to the TV.

However, after set-up and ramping/slotting (which increased break angle over the saddle, and evened out the string spacing/height on the J-45 TV in particular) they both said it was hard to choose a favorite, or superior instrument. Says a lot about how Gibson is building these custom-shop instruments these days. My luthier also mentioned the finish is different on these as opposed to the standard J-45, at least in thickness.

I believe that the SCSJ sounds a bit darker than my TV, but I cannot choose a favorite between them. They are both fantastic instruments, and I'm very happy with them. Initially, the thought on my end was to trial both, and keep the winner, but I'm unable to do so for now, and am keeping both.

My J-45 TV is a Sitka-topped instrument, as it was one of the early ones (2007), but does have the advantage of 6+ years of play-in to my SCSJ.

I was initially having the tuners on the J-45 TV (which came with the Kluson-copy tuners-mine were 6 separate tuners) changed to upgraded/top end Kluson copies, but my luthier said that the peg holes would need to be enlarged, and it would have large washers, so we went with ivroid-button Waverly tuners. They look great, and operate beautifully.

I will post pictures soon-I'm especially happy with how the pick guard on the SCSJ turned out!!

Yup, Gibson is building some good ones. Haven't spent enough time with a SCSJ to form an opinion but everything I have heard is positive.

As for the 2007 TV it is an awesome J45. It was as good as my '63 and a little better than my '13 RSTB J45. The red spruce takes a true commitment to open up, it gets better and better. My RSTB has a very thin finish as well.

Glad you are happy with your gets/guits!

Play in good health.

Congrats on your great guitars. Never owned a Santa Cruz, but I've always heard good things about them. Got a J45TV and it's a truly sweet instrument. Playing it a lot........Enjoy your guitars and get us some video or sound samples when you get the chance. [thumbup]

In this case, SCSJ means Sheryl Crow Southern Jumbo. So, both Gibsons! I agree, J-45 TV are amazing instruments

I have a 45TV 2011 that is my favorite guitar. Have a friend who had a Kopp35,never got to A-B them he sold it, he's a martin guy, and bought a Collings.

That Sherl Crow SJ had me GASing when it came out, but to similar to the 45.

When I look at the bridge of my 45 it looks like it's already ramped, with slotted pins thou.

Nice pair of guitars you have there, lets see pictures of the new pickguard

DSC06670-X3.jpg

DSC06673-X3.jpg

Here are two quick pics of the SCSJ with the new pick guard. You can also see the new bone bridge pins, and the ramp/slot in the bridge.

I think this pick guard worked well with the sunburst of the SCSJ, with the darker section of the guard matching well to the burst.

Very happy with this. I think the increased break angle over the saddle adds to an already tremendous sound from this guitar, and I'm very happy with the work.

I can post pics of the J-45 TV, but really all you'd see are the new tuners (butter-bean ivroid Waverly) and the ramping/slotting of the bridge, and bone pins

Best,

Chris

That pickguard looks great. I also have a SCSJ and love it. Did you mention where you purchased that pickguard?

Thank you!

I actually purchased that at LMI. They occasionally have the Greven (actually no longer Greven) Tor-tis pick guards available in cut/beveled form. Usually, if I get material from them, it will be uncut, and I'll have my luthier cut/bevel the material to fit.

In this case, it was a happy accident that I logged on to that site, and found this one that would work. Snatched it up straightaway.

I cannot say enough about the SCSJ-tremendous guitar, and I'm playing that, and my J-45 TV (another awesome guitar) all the time now. I love short-scale, and the sound I get from these. Was a skeptic of Gibson for years (too much attention paid to the naysayers on the forums) but I am REALLY glad I gave them a chance

I have 3 Gibsons, and they are wonderful instruments

Thanks for the response. Your experience with Gibson mirrors my own. It took a long time for me to find one that I liked. It was between my SJ and a 45TV. The TV sounded great. Very dry and upfront. The SCSJ was the same but with more depth, bass and volume. It is one of the best modern guitars I've ever played. I have an AJ for sale that sounds incredible as well. I wish I could keep it but I need the money. I'm glad the SCSJ is getting the recognition it deserves. I haven't heard of a single person play one and not like it.

Matt

Thank you!

I actually purchased that at LMI. They occasionally have the Greven (actually no longer Greven) Tor-tis pick guards available in cut/beveled form. Usually, if I get material from them, it will be uncut, and I'll have my luthier cut/bevel the material to fit.

In this case, it was a happy accident that I logged on to that site, and found this one that would work. Snatched it up straightaway.

I cannot say enough about the SCSJ-tremendous guitar, and I'm playing that, and my J-45 TV (another awesome guitar) all the time now. I love short-scale, and the sound I get from these. Was a skeptic of Gibson for years (too much attention paid to the naysayers on the forums) but I am REALLY glad I gave them a chance

I have 3 Gibsons, and they are wonderful instruments

Thanks for the response. Your experience with Gibson mirrors my own. It took a long time for me to find one that I liked. It was between my SJ and a 45TV. The TV sounded great. Very dry and upfront. The SCSJ was the same but with more depth, bass and volume. It is one of the best modern guitars I've ever played. I have an AJ for sale that sounds incredible as well. I wish I could keep it but I need the money. I'm glad the SCSJ is getting the recognition it deserves. I haven't heard of a single person play one and not like it.

Matt

I agree. I like both the TV and the SCSJ a lot, and right now it seems whichever's in my hands is the favorite. Then, I pick up the other, and it begins again...

My J-45TV is a 2007, and is apparently a Sitka top-this may be a factor in why these two guitars have a different "flavor" so to speak. I think the TV comes off a bit darker, and the SCSJ a bit brighter. Hard to quantify in words.

They are both staggeringly good, and as mentioned, I intended to sell the "loser" as I thought they'd be too similar, however, that has not happened. They are both excellent, and I cannot bring myself to sell either at this point.

I even like that the sunbursts are so different on the pair. I guess I should post a side-by-side shot...

DSC06670-X3.jpg

DSC06673-X3.jpg

Here are two quick pics of the SCSJ with the new pick guard. You can also see the new bone bridge pins, and the ramp/slot in the bridge.

I think this pick guard worked well with the sunburst of the SCSJ, with the darker section of the guard matching well to the burst.

Very happy with this. I think the increased break angle over the saddle adds to an already tremendous sound from this guitar, and I'm very happy with the work.

I can post pics of the J-45 TV, but really all you'd see are the new tuners (butter-bean ivroid Waverly) and the ramping/slotting of the bridge, and bone pins

Best,

Chris

That SCSJ is a stunner. The new pick guard looks very nice and compliments the looks of the guitar nicely. I played one of these a couple years ago and thus far, it was the best sounding Gibson slope that I've played. Beautiful guitar you have there.

That SCSJ is a stunner. The new pick guard looks very nice and compliments the looks of the guitar nicely. I played one of these a couple years ago and thus far, it was the best sounding Gibson slope that I've played. Beautiful guitar you have there.

Thanks for your comments. I agree that the SCSJ is an awesome-sounding guitar. If I could change anything, it'd probably be the bound fingerboard, because I tend to like the unbound feel a bit more, but it's not a big deal, and I adjust to it without issue.

Then again, I can easily be convinced that it's perfect as-is! I highly recommend picking one up if you can find one. I missed out on a couple because I didn't act fast enough, so buying this one all the way from Japan was my best bet. Glad I did

Thanks for your comments. I agree that the SCSJ is an awesome-sounding guitar. If I could change anything, it'd probably be the bound fingerboard, because I tend to like the unbound feel a bit more, but it's not a big deal, and I adjust to it without issue.

Then again, I can easily be convinced that it's perfect as-is! I highly recommend picking one up if you can find one. I missed out on a couple because I didn't act fast enough, so buying this one all the way from Japan was my best bet. Glad I did

Well, I just bought a J45 TV which was on my wanted list for a long, long time. Maybe an SCSJ will be my next one.

Well, I just bought a J45 TV which was on my wanted list for a long, long time. Maybe an SCSJ will be my next one.

The TV is another fantastic guitar. I have heard a couple that weren't so great, but all have been at least "good."

When you find a great one though, wow!

Any pictures?

Archived