Gibson Brands Forums

A little john martyn tune ?

blindboygrunt

https://soundcloud.com/islandmageestu/may-you-never

Durians and what not , wiggle room in a guitar centre , smelly holes

I've no idea what to say lately in here , so I'll post a song. Bad news is it's on the Martin , but hey , you guys are bigger than that eh ?

Could never do this song justice because johns such a glorious voice , but ya gotta let it out.

Feel free to tell me exactly what ya think , or roll your eyes and read another thread instead.

It's nearly Friday !!

Youve become a song producine machine recently BBG !

This is a bit different from you stylistically, isnt it ? A bit more fast paced, a bit more country, a bit different vocal tone. Its good to hear, nice to see you stretch yourself mate, I enjoyed it [thumbup]

Perhaps would have liked to have the vocals a bit more upfront in the mix, but thats also part of the challenge of recording a Martin, it tends to fight with your voice for the limelight.

Youve become a song producine machine recently BBG !

This is a bit different from you stylistically, isnt it ? A bit more fast paced, a bit more country, a bit different vocal tone. Its good to hear, nice to see you stretch yourself mate, I enjoyed it [thumbup]

Perhaps would have liked to have the vocals a bit more upfront in the mix, but thats also part of the challenge of recording a Martin, it tends to fight with your voice for the limelight.

Cheers Aussie , the vocal mix thing is down to it just being recorded straight into the phone and my tables not high enough. Maybe should make a pile of books or something to bring the phone mic nearer my heed

Funny you should bring this one up, bbg - I've been re-fiddling a lot with it the last 10 days and it's good fun to play.

Especially the 'love is a lesson to learn in our time' right-hand change and goin' back is challenging.

Have to say you nail the mood pretty good (sound is ^ too) - but I believe you can take it further.

Anyways - You know I'll be there in the bar with a pint when your gig opens.

It'll be a wooden place - dark with honey-coloured wax candles, old posters'n'peculiar objects on the walls and focus towards the stage where you sit in dim red lighting.

Is this the D-35 - new-stringed ?

Thanks em ,

The strings are about 2 months old but elixirs so just breaking in.

Thanks for the 'like to hear you taking it further' comment.

I know I can do it better.

It really was just a push record and play on a Saturday mornings fiddle around , been messing with it for a while but is tricky with the vocals and the breathing!! and the timing being disconnected from the lyrics , especially asyou say with the 'love is a lesson' parts over the Bm ....and and and ...::

Simple song that's hard to play

Maybe I'll repost in a week or so after a lot of run throughs , if you'd be so kind to listen and critique.

Part of me wants to ask you to do it and another part doesn't because it'll be fantastic and I'll throw my toys out of the pram .

Thanks for the honest words my friend

Thanks for that one BBG.

I have that one printed out with tabs but never succeeded in playing it very well.But I've always liked it.Good version by you, suits you well sir.

I have another album of his on vinyl.London Conversations. Has some good tunes on it.If I had a working turntable I'd give it a spin.Might look up some of the songs/ chords though now that you've jogged my memory.

Archived