Gibson Brands Forums

Sold my SG Classic for this...

sbpark

I'm primarily a Tele guy but also love SG's, but found I'm always reading for my '13 SG Standard over the 2008 SG Classic. Now don't get me wrong, the Classic was an amazing guitar, but I actually prefer the sound of the '57 Classics and just thought the stock Gibson P90's were just a touch too hot for my liking. Instead of munching around with pickups and whatnot I ended up selling the guitar for more than I actually paid for it, and put the money toward this...As you can see in the last pic the neck has snapped off. The previous owner said it happened during shipping. He bought it from GC, and they didn't pack it properly and didn't tune it down before shipping and it arrived busted. It was professionally repaired and there's not a mark on the guitar aside from the repaired headstock, and because of the repair I got a KILLER deal on it. After a little attention to the nut, adjusted the action and filed down the saddle a bit it sounds amazing and fits right in with my J45 and D-28. But not to worry, my SG Standard is not going anywhere any time soon!

IMG_3736_zps8z142ut3.jpg

IMG_3757_zpsqjd0dawa.jpg

IMG_3758_zpsjciuhk9i.jpg

IMG_3746_zpsxfdzl31n.jpg

IMG_3748_zpsq9lxofvh.jpg

IMG_3744_zpsmnc0jwn2.jpg

IMG_3734_zps2ueiw23y.jpg

...As you can see in the last pic the neck has snapped off. The previous owner said it happened during shipping. He bought it from GC, and they didn't pack it properly and didn't tune it down before shipping and it arrived busted. It was professionally repaired and there's not a mark on the guitar aside from the repaired headstock, and because of the repair I got a KILLER deal on it...

Wait. What? A guy had a guitar shipped from GC, they didn't pack it right, it arrived busted, and the remedy to the whole thing was the guy kept it, fixed it, and sold it to you? Is that what you are saying here? The guitar did not go back to GC as any normal transaction would have happened, the guy kept it?

rct

Wait. What? A guy had a guitar shipped from GC, they didn't pack it right, it arrived busted, and the remedy to the whole thing was the guy kept it, fixed it, and sold it to you? Is that what you are saying here? The guitar did not go back to GC as any normal transaction would have happened, the guy kept it?

rct

Yeah. He bought it used from another GC, who shipped it to his local GC, where it arrived with a busted neck. It was sent out to a local shop (NOT repaired by the in-house GC tech) for repair and when it came back from the shop he loved how it sounded and they gave him a huge refund and covered the cost of the repair obviously. He just want's a D-28 now and put it up for sale. Personally I really could care less about the back story of the guitar. All I know is it sounds amazing, looks amazing, and I got a great deal on it.

Huh. I'da thunk GC woulda ate that guitar and got him a new one. Well, they would for me, or I'd have gone elsewhere.

Good luck with it.

rct

Well it sounds amazing, and no guarantee that the replacement would as good. And yes, I'm sure it will bring me loads of good luck! I'm not afraid of a neck repair if it's done right. It's a guitar, not a museum piece. I'd rather have a repaired guitar that sounds great over something brand new that doesn't sound as good.

Well it sounds amazing, and no guarantee that the replacement would as good. And yes, I'm sure it will bring me loads of good luck! I'm not afraid of a neck repair if it's done right. It's a guitar, not a museum piece. I'd rather have a repaired guitar that sounds great over something brand new that doesn't sound as good.

I understand that idea. We are talking about a 3k, 3500 dollar guitar. Gibson is pretty good at making them. At the point of being a buyers market, any one you pick up out of 6 or 8 is probably going to be pretty dang good. I'm just amazed that a broken guitar neck was not returned and eaten by the retailer. In the future we can expect to not be offered a full return and exchange or full refund, we can expect to be offered a considerable knock off what we paid and they fix it. That's what's weird to me, because I don't want that.

rct

I understand that idea. We are talking about a 3k, 3500 dollar guitar. Gibson is pretty good at making them. At the point of being a buyers market, any one you pick up out of 6 or 8 is probably going to be pretty dang good. I'm just amazed that a broken guitar neck was not returned and eaten by the retailer. In the future we can expect to not be offered a full return and exchange or full refund, we can expect to be offered a considerable knock off what we paid and they fix it. That's what's weird to me, because I don't want that.

rct

The guy bought it used from another GC online and had it shipped to his local GC for pickup. It wasn't shipped from Gibson to GC. It was a used guitar shipped from one GC to another GC. The guy was offered a full return on the used guitar but he opted to wait to see how it sounded after the repair, and he liked it and like I already mentioned, he apparently got a large refund, which he thought was worth it at them time, and that was passed on to me when I bought it from him. Not sure why it's so hard to understand or believe. Just because someone did something different than you say you would have doesn't mean it's wrong, but I have read many of your posts on this forum and you do like to troll a bit and get a rise out of people! I get it. If I can get an SJ200 Standard for 55%-60% off of what one costs new with a stable neck repair that sounds wonderful I'll do it all day long. These don't come up used much, and when they do they aren't that much less than what they cost new. Neck si probably stronger now than it was before the repair!

The guy bought it used from another GC online and had it shipped to his local GC for pickup. It wasn't shipped from Gibson to GC. It was a used guitar shipped from one GC to another GC. The guy was offered a full return on the used guitar but he opted to wait to see how it sounded after the repair, and he liked it and like I already mentioned, he apparently got a large refund, which he thought was worth it at them time, and that was passed on to me when I bought it from him. Not sure why it's so hard to understand or believe. Just because someone did something different than you say you would have doesn't mean it's wrong, but I have read many of your posts on this forum and you do like to troll a bit and get a rise out of people! I get it. If I can get an SJ200 Standard for 55%-60% off of what one costs new with a stable neck repair that sounds wonderful I'll do it all day long. These don't come up used much, and when they do they aren't that much less than what they cost new. Neck si probably stronger now than it was before the repair!

Ok. I'm not trying to get a rise out of you, I'm trying to figure out how a guitar was broken in transit and the receiver kept it and had it fixed. So there is more and more to it, and now I can see how this happened.

I didn't say that what the guy did was wrong. I would not have ever thought that GC would have even offered such a deal as we'll send it out, have it fixed, you try it see if you like it. I can't see them being hip deep into a second hand SJ-200 and then going even further in having it fixed only to lose on the fix and the guitar. That is what I found "wrong", only in that it isn't really great customer service to the other 99 out of 100 guitar players that wouldn't even consider that an option, not for the kind of money in an SJ-200. But hey, they did what they did!

I appreciate that you would buy a guitar at 55 - 60 off with a broken neck. The neck is probably stronger now than it was before, I've heard that all of my life. Trouble is, for every one broken/repaired guitar neck there are hundreds that aren't broken, so they are...weaker. I guess.

It's a good story, you got a great guitar you wanted, you paid what you wanted to pay, that's all that ever matters. The rest of it was kinda odd to me, that's why I asked.

Good luck with it!

rct

Ok. I'm not trying to get a rise out of you, I'm trying to figure out how a guitar was broken in transit and the receiver kept it and had it fixed. So there is more and more to it, and now I can see how this happened.

I didn't say that what the guy did was wrong. I would not have ever thought that GC would have even offered such a deal as we'll send it out, have it fixed, you try it see if you like it. I can't see them being hip deep into a second hand SJ-200 and then going even further in having it fixed only to lose on the fix and the guitar. That is what I found "wrong", only in that it isn't really great customer service to the other 99 out of 100 guitar players that wouldn't even consider that an option, not for the kind of money in an SJ-200. But hey, they did what they did!

I appreciate that you would buy a guitar at 55 - 60 off with a broken neck. The neck is probably stronger now than it was before, I've heard that all of my life. Trouble is, for every one broken/repaired guitar neck there are hundreds that aren't broken, so they are...weaker. I guess.

It's a good story, you got a great guitar you wanted, you paid what you wanted to pay, that's all that ever matters. The rest of it was kinda odd to me, that's why I asked.

Good luck with it!

rct

Funny you keep saying things like "for that kind of money..." when you are missing the fact that he nor I paid nowhere near what these cost new and even a fraction of what they cost used. Sure, no way in hell I'd pay the going rate for a used SJ200 with a broken neck, but you're damn right I'll buy one with a repaired neck for pennies on the dollar, otherwise I'd never be able to justify owning one. Get a $3,500+ guitar for less than half that with a solid repaired neck? Absolutely.

Funny you keep saying things like "for that kind of money..." when you are missing the fact that he nor I paid nowhere near what these cost new and even a fraction of what they cost used. Sure, no way in hell I'd pay the going rate for a used SJ200 with a broken neck, but you're damn right I'll buy one with a repaired neck for pennies on the dollar, otherwise I'd never be able to justify owning one. Get a $3,500+ guitar for less than half that with a solid repaired neck? Absolutely.

Ok, so I'm not being clear. GC took a deep, long, very bubbly bath on yer buds guitar, that's "that kinda money" I'm talking about when I say that. It isn't at all normal for them to do that, for any business to do that kind of bathing. I have spent a pretty good figure with that company and I would not ever expect them to soak like that for me!

rct

Ok, so I'm not being clear. GC took a deep, long, very bubbly bath on yer buds guitar, that's "that kinda money" I'm talking about when I say that. It isn't at all normal for them to do that, for any business to do that kind of bathing. I have spent a pretty good figure with that company and I would not ever expect them to soak like that for me!

rct

Again, I'll disagree with you. The guy I bought it from bought it from GC USED, so that means they probably raped someone taking it in on a trade, so most likely they probably broke even. Either way I don't care and not sure why I took the time to explain it to you. I'm going to go play my guitar now. Done with this thread. Actually wouldn't mind of the mods deleted it.

Again, I'll disagree with you. The guy I bought it from bought it from GC USED, so that means they probably raped someone taking it in on a trade, so most likely they probably broke even. Either way I don't care and not sure why I took the time to explain it to you. I'm going to go play my guitar now. Done with this thread. Actually wouldn't mind of the mods deleted it.

Well, I apologize if it pisses you off that you put a story of a broken headstocked guitar in a forum full of people that have been buying and selling and trading guitars for a long time and they may just ask you something about it. I have zero experience with such a guitar and was curious. So hey, I apologize. Think about it next time you put something out there.

rct

It's interesting, for sure.

I could see how it would happen. I don't know the value, cost of this before the neck, but just say we are talking 3.5k for a new one. Used, (at a store) maybe 2k. GC into it maybe 1-1.5k. Say 1k even.

It breaks. Cost 400 bones to fix. It's worth, realistically, 1.2k minimun if fixed. GC can't get their money back, because for 400 bones to fix, now into the guitar for more than it could sell. 1k into it + 400 is more than the guitar is worth. VERY likely case here. BUT...if they fix it for 400 bucks, they don't loose as much. they MAKE 600-800 more than just writing it off.

If I'm buying, and I am paying 2k for a used guitar that breaks, and they fix it and I only pay 1k, I might buy it. Maybe...MAYBE, I pay 1.2k.

I don't know the actual numbers, or what this guitar is worth new or used, just sayin'. I can see GC getting lucky, or finding a way to be smart within the corporate structure to take a risk and win.

No reason to get mad wondering. GC isn't known for having the smartest salesmen in the business, and they have a structure to protect themselves from themselves in that regard. It's rare they would be able to figure out how to fix something when it doesn't pencil out as it sits.

Congratulations on a beautiful J200. I've wanted one of these since I first heard Michael Chapman play.

I agree that a properly repaired neck is likely to be stronger where most Gibsons are concerned. Lets face it, they are notorious for neck breakage.

I would be very happy with this sort of repair.

If you look in the Memphis forum, I posted some photos of a very attractive ES-335 thats in a forthcoming auction. It too had a neck repair, and lots of people expressed misgivings about it. But it wouldnt bother me, especially with a clean looking break like the one in your pics.

Enjoy that guitar man. Its a peach.

Well, I apologize if it pisses you off that you put a story of a broken headstocked guitar in a forum full of people that have been buying and selling and trading guitars for a long time and they may just ask you something about it. I have zero experience with such a guitar and was curious. So hey, I apologize. Think about it next time you put something out there.

rct

Yawn.

That seems to be a great way of getting an excellent guitar at a killer price - worth thinking about for sure especially as professional repairs for Gibson necks have probably been happening since about the day after the Gibson headstock design was first released. [thumbup]

rct

Not once does he mention he actually PLAYS them...ha! Guess I'd be sore about owning a guitar with a broken neck if I just stared at them and never really played them.

I'm truly sorry you made such a bad decision and the butt hurt won't stop now.

rct

I knew that would get your response! I freakin' love the guitar! Sounds absolutely gorgeous and amazing! No regrets at all, aside from having to read your ******y replies, but at the same time they're also super entertaining! Please keep it up!

I'm actually looking around for an SG Classic, myself!

And I'm in California, too! Listed it on CL and it went in a few hours. Really was an incredible sounding and playing guitar, I just have an SG Standard I liked and have a sentimental attachment to, and play more acoustic stuff these days. Otherwise it was a great guitar and highly recommend the Classic!

And I'm in California, too! Listed it on CL and it went in a few hours. Really was an incredible sounding and playing guitar, I just have an SG Standard I liked and have a sentimental attachment to, and play more acoustic stuff these days. Otherwise it was a great guitar and highly recommend the Classic!

There are several out there on various sites.... I am biding my time and weighing my options.

Just not totally knocked out by the SG offerings these days. The Standard P90 is cool but I prefer dot necks. Those new "Naked" SGs are ok, but I hate that the necks are not bound. The Classics have almost everything I look for in an SG—save for a half-face pick guard. But I can live with a full-face, and the little "bean" button tuners on the Classics are totally vintage-looking.

Archived