Gibson Brands Forums

Pot Values

dbrian66

I have a question for all you electronic wizards out there. I am replacing the electronics in one of my guitars. I got four new Seymour Duncan 500k pots. I was checking the values and found that they are a good bit different . I got these at different times. I originally bought two for a project that never happened and then I started this and needed two more. The first two I got measure at 562k and 568k. Pretty good I guess. The second two I got measure at 520k and 453k. Is the difference anything to be worried about? Or should I put the lower value ones in either volume or tone positions? They are all audio taper pots. They were also mail order so returning for different ones would be a crap shoot I guess. Thanks for any help you can offer!

The standard for pots is +/- 20% so those are in spec, although they can be anywhere from <5 to 20% depending on the application. SD doesn't list the tolerances they use anyplace I've found. I did find that most of the SD pots are made by Bourns and re-branded for SD.

Manufacturing audio taper pots with high consistency is rather difficult. Either value and tapering may vary significantly.

I probably would use the lowest reading one for the bridge pickup, if for volume or tone doesn't really matter except for the actual taper characteristic. The more log, the more tone, at least for me. [biggrin] The slightly higher load will attenuate the edge of the resonance peak a little more.

Linear pots are better on theory but may vary, too. The poorest one I know of came with my Gibson Les Paul Traditional, having 238 kOhms instead of the specified 300 kOhms. They used it for the bridge PU. This '57 Plus still has lots of bite, despite of the increased load. As far as I remember, it's tone pot is a bit low, too.

The standard for pots is +/- 20% so those are in spec, although they can be anywhere from <5 to 20% depending on the application. SD doesn't list the tolerances they use anyplace I've found. I did find that most of the SD pots are made by Bourns and re-branded for SD.

Yes, they are Bourns.

Manufacturing audio taper pots with high consistency is rather difficult. Either value and tapering may vary significantly.

I probably would use the lowest reading one for the bridge pickup, if for volume or tone doesn't really matter except for the actual taper characteristic. The more log, the more tone, at least for me. [biggrin] The slightly higher load will attenuate the edge of the resonance peak a little more.

Linear pots are better on theory but may vary, too. The poorest one I know of came with my Gibson Les Paul Traditional, having 238 kOhms instead of the specified 300 kOhms. They used it for the bridge PU. This '57 Plus still has lots of bite, despite of the increased load. As far as I remember, it's tone pot is a bit low, too.

Thanks, I was thinking the same thing as far as using the two lower ones for the bridge pickup. I mainly use the neck pickup anyways.

What should I check for in the taper characteristics as far as what works better for vol. or tone?

What should I check for in the taper characteristics as far as what works better for vol. or tone?

The steeper the resistance grows between the clockwise leg and the center leg when turned counterclockwise, the better for tone. Seen the other way round, the softer the resistance increase between counterclockwise and center legs when rotated clockwise, the better for tone.

The steeper the resistance grows between the clockwise leg and the center leg when turned counterclockwise, the better for tone. Seen the other way round, the softer the resistance increase between counterclockwise and center legs when rotated clockwise, the better for tone.

You say the clockwise leg, is that looking at it from the bottom? AKA looking at it from the back of the guitar once it is installed?

You say the clockwise leg, is that looking at it from the bottom? AKA looking at it from the back of the guitar once it is installed?

To meet the direction of rotation seen from the player, all of my description is seen from the top, that is shaft side view.

Are you looking at the stuff imported from Mexico?

And then there is the Columbian industry to consider?

Of course, it is always good to support the Good Old USA.

Is there a relationship on the Pot Values and Quality, depending on where it is from?

I would always use the higher values in the treble pup position, for a better balance overall. Bridge position does tend to be not as loud as neck position.

But you know, personally, I think the difference between 460k and 560k would be noticeable, so choose wisely, or by a couple more that are closer.

Think of it like this: the higher the value, the louder the output. When you turn down, you are making the "value" less, so can turn down a 560k pot to 500k. You can't turn up a pot past it's max, but you can turn it down.

Having a higher value is like having a little extra volume. If used as a tone pot, the same applies. Higher value pot used will be a little brighter sound until you turn the pot down a bit.

I think as a rough guess, a 560k pot is like starting on 11 and 460k might be like starting on 9, compared to a 500k pot all the way up on 10.

Maybe you know this stuff, but if you didn't, hopefully it will help you judge and decide where you want which to go where.

And GOOD ON YA for measuring first. That's smart.

During the late '90's, I was living in SF. At that time arguably the very best marijuana in the world came from Northern Cali. We would go up to Humboldt and Mendocino and buy a bunch of weed, and bring it back down to the bay. We would sit in my place, measuring it all up and laugh that we sold pot for about $300/oz.

At that time gold was trading at about $260/oz. We were joking that we were rolling and smoking stuff that was more pricey than gold. We had a good laugh. Now gold is like $1600/oz or something crazy. Should have bought more gold, and smoked less pot.

Weed-Thumb.jpg

Oh.. wait. This is a guitar forum. Damn I'm stoned!

Lol. 1975 an Oz of Gold was only $40.

Mmmm,, yes indeed. That's when it started getting tasty.

Once that showed up say goodbye to the ole leafy lid crap. lol.

I think it was more like 76 around here. We are always a little behind the times.

Those were the days. Girls were Girls. Men were Men. Now I'm not sure. [confused]

It's a crazy world today. Lots of people try to outperform each other in coming out and exhibiting personal disorders. [-(

Those were the days. Girls were Girls. Men were Men. Now I'm not sure. [confused]

It's a crazy world today. Lots of people try to outperform each other in coming out and exhibiting personal disorders. [-(

Could just be too much pot?

A linear pot's characteristic follows a straight line. Perhaps this is abused for some different stuff? [confused]

You wouldn't have two volumes or two tone knobs, would you? One volume, one tone. That makes sense.

The REAL abuse is when one thinks they are a volume when they are supposed to be a tone, and they clip off the cap...

Archived