Gibson Brands Forums

Pickguard on hummingbird starts to lift

Gibson Is Tone

I personally wouldn't try to fix this myself . I would return the guitar back to the dealer that you bought it from without delay . Taking into account the quality and cost of a new Gibson Hummingbird I would expect this to be dealt with by Gibson under warranty. I would also phone the dealer without delay to log the date the defect was reported by yourself

GibsonIsTone - not sure I fully understand - but if the dealer you gave $2 or $3K to for a new H'Bird suggested you go on the internet to try to get in touch with a Gibson Service Representative to get a problem fixed which he, the dealer, is responsible for, you might want to push back in that direction. Not knowing how much the pg is lifting, I would still be hesitant to try anything on my own. But, BBG's suggestion of a small piece of that thin double sided 3M tape is the best, safest and only thing you should try on your own. If you aren't comfortable with that, and your dealer accepts no responsibility (the fact the guitar was on display for 4 months is irrelevant and immaterial) you should call Gibson directly. G'Luck.

Me? I'd warm the area with a hair dryer while it was laying flat on a table on towels, and then put a dictionary on top of it for a day. Preferably the dictionary that Anthony Buckeridge uses for this forum...

Man that's quality humor there.

My standard has its flubber pickguard show a very slight gap between edges and the top.

It never move more than that, and it cannot be noticed unless we really look very close to its edges. The pickguard stays flat, so i believe it is normal.

Maybe you have the same thing?

It is not glued strongly to the top and it is intended, because deformation is different between the pickguard and the top, a strong link could cause cracks.

If the defect is really important Gibson proposes to do something about this if you call them...

For other pickguards, i have seen a J45 (used) in a shop which pickguard (was a classic, not a flubber type) was REALLY curved up a few millimeters at least and it was damn ugly.

By the way, if it started to raise up in about a week since you bought it, you might want to check humidity and take care to keep it at a good level: it may be caused by changes in humidity... Do you keep it in the case with humidifiers when you do not play.

I had a guitar do that. One corner of the pick guard came up off the adhesive backing.

Mask surrounding area. Moving quickly, I put a very, very small drop of crazy glue on a business card, glue side up slid it under the lift, lightly pressed down on the card while pulling out the card, quickly cleaned up. held it down for a few seconds.

I had a guitar do that. One corner of the pick guard came up off the adhesive backing.

Mask surrounding area. Moving quickly, I put a very, very small drop of crazy glue on a business card, glue side up slid it under the lift, lightly pressed down on the card while pulling out the card, quickly cleaned up. held it down for a few seconds.

This may be the worst advice I've ever seen posted here. Crazy glue? Good grief.....

This may be the worst advice I've ever seen posted here. Crazy glue? Good grief.....

If you read it close enough you would see that the glue went between the guard and the adhesive backing, not the wood.

Hello guys & esp to Gibson rep

The pickguard on my hummingbird is starting to raise up from the body. I bought it new a week ago but the salesman said the guitar was on display in shop for around 4-5mos.

Is this an easy fix that I can do myself? What's the best adhesive that I can use?

Absolutely do not try a repair yourself. This is a NEW guitar, and you shouldn't be having any issues with it after a week. I'd make sure the shop knows, and fixes it to your satisfaction. You don't want this recurring, and them not honoring a warranty because you tried a repair yourself first

Go back to your dealer and request that he contact Gibson and have them refer you to the nearest authorized repair facility. Do not put any kind of glue on it. You have a lifetime warranty and letting an unauthorized person work on you guitar will only void the warranty. Ask the repair facility to replace the flubber guard with a celluloid guard and you will hear your guitar as it was intended to sound for the first time. They should do this at no charge.