Gibson Brands Forums

A Painful Evening.

MissouriPicker

This evening I played a 90 minute set with my new Alvarez AFB66something-or-other-all-mahogany guitar. No complaints on the guitars playablity. Nice instrument. However, I seem to have a real comfort problem with guitars smaller than a dreadnaught. The sound hole is lower when the guitar is on my lap and I have to shorten the guitar strap to hoist the guitar off of my lap so I can reach the strings without it being awkward. With dreads and bigger, the sound hole is in perfect position with the guitar simply resting on my lap. I always have a guitar strap attached to my guitar, but it's simply hanging over my shoulders. Not hanging from them with any kind of weight. It's a security thing in case the guitar slipped off my lap or something. Anyway, after 90 minutes of the guitar hanging off of my shoulder, my neck is stiff-as-hell and the muscles are sore...lol...Started bothering me about 15 minutes into the gig. I begin rolling my shoulder around and kind of twisting my neck because it felt like the muscles were being pulled. I played over two hours yesterday at my Friday gig with one of my AJs--no issues at all..........Didn't stop to think when I was packing-up the Alvarez that when I play it at home I'm in a recliner or sofa and the guitar resting almost on my chest, with my arms and legs all in a comfortable position that is supported by the confines of the chair. Quite different when sitting on a bar stool and I have to support the guitars weight with the strap over my shoulder.. Anyways, just my Saturday night rant. Next time I'll stick with my dreads, or hopefully in the future another super jumbo. I both admire and pity those banjo and bass players standing-up throughout a 3-4 hour gig.

Being comfortable with one's own habits is the most important thing when gigging I think. What are you going to do about your Alvarez - trying to get acquainted or part with her? Whatever you decide, good luck on it!

A rocking chair or a sofa would be nice. Maybe I could find me a small recliner to haul around in my trunk with the other gear I keep there....We have a songwriter meeting once a month at this coffeehouse that has these huge sofas and chairs. Great for kind of laying back and playing music.

Cap, I'll keep the Alvarez for now. I really like the way it plays (at home...lol). Got it for a real good price, so I wouldn't lose much, if anything on it. Shame it's not a dread, but it's probably safe for the moment. Not a thing in the world wrong with it, aside from me owning it............... Knowing me, somewhere along the line it will be used to help get something else.

Yes MP....an issue for many players

Perhaps with practice and a bit of physio things may get easier... [unsure]

The only other question might be strap button placement

I have a couple of guitars with the old traditional boot lace around the headstock straps...and that can cause problems

Good Luck.... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

Classic playing position in a straight back woodn kitchen chair is the best for your neck and back.

That said, I do like to play in the worst contorted position on a tv chair, but try to sit straight on the edge of the chair - this back has carried too many heavy amps and guitars and real life things to play for long periods any other way!

Playing standing is probably better if you were starting to ache, but at home try the classical guitar playing style for a while - guitar between your legs and the neck angled to where your left arm won't ache. I have a range of sizes and weights of guitars and the Nationals are heavy but sit in this position nicely. People that have shoulder problems and football injuries find this position helps. And it is the only way to play my little Martin 0-17 without my left hand wanting to play the headstock! It feels really strange playing like this at first, but like anything we need to get use to it.

It really does help both arms!

BluesKing777.

Yeah, I do Senior Yoga most everyday. For me it involves crossing one leg over the other. I alternate my legs each time I change positions, move the guitar, or wake-up from a nap.

And thanks, Blues...you want me to start sitting in a wooden straight-backed chair at 68, while you're all scrunched-up and comfy in an old TV chair (that you allegedly try to sit-up straight in....yeah right).

And I'm sure I'll do some physio things....lol....I already do when I get out of my recliner.

Seriously, I'm typically pretty active. Never had this issue with my larger guitars aside from if I was standing while playing. I'll be sticking with them and sitting when I gig.......Thanks for the suggestions. I think the bourbon was the best one. [thumbup] [thumbup]

Yoga and bourbon, what a great idea! The only thing better might be bourbon and then yoga. But, I have gotten to the point where the chair is so important when I play that I got a Stakmore folding chair with a good padded seat and had a small lumbar pillow made of leather to tuck into the small of my back and I put it in the car when travelling or going to a party where I'm not sure of the quality of the seating. It can be crippling to have to sit and pick on some of the random stuff people have for guests in their house. Some of the older Stakmores are works of industrial art and they are easy to add extra foam to and re-upholster. Highly recommended.

"The sound hole is lower when the guitar is on my lap and I have to shorten the guitar strap to hoist the guitar off of my lap so I can reach the strings without it being awkward." Ive had a similar experience with L00s. Plus I just love the sound of a jumbo. It sorta comes up with my national, but I usually cross it over my knee and it works ok.

Ah! I understand how you feel MP I played last week a two hour session, sitting, and my back was killing me but I couldn't get up and walk about. but it was nice when I did. I put it down to age these things never bothered me when I was young.

I spent twenty years with a J45 but over the passed ten years I have used either a Gibson CJ165 or a Marin 00028 and I've got to say I find these much more comfortable than a jumbo. Maybe it's all a question of getting used to it or not getting old.

Ah! I understand how you feel MP I played last week a two hour session, sitting, and my back was killing me but I couldn't get up and walk about. but it was nice when I did. I put it down to age these things never bothered me when I was young.

I spent twenty years with a J45 but over the passed ten years I have used either a Gibson CJ165 or a Marin 00028 and I've got to say I find these much more comfortable than a jumbo. Maybe it's all a question of getting used to it or not getting old.

I might say, one thing I find interesting is how much better and easier a Martin 000- size feels compared to a dread, even though it's really just inches. Kinda always fascinated me. They aren't really THAT much smaller.

Missouri,

I am sure that you have seen the most common pic of Robert Johnson with legs crossed at the knee with his guitar on his lap. I always thought that position a little odd....until I recently acquired a RJ Signature L 1. That is THE most comfortable way to play the thing! It is a 12 fret parlor, so it is fairly small. But once I found the position I have really enjoyed it. Maybe that will work for you.

I might say, one thing I find interesting is how much better and easier a Martin 000- size feels compared to a dread, even though it's really just inches. Kinda always fascinated me. They aren't really THAT much smaller.

Yes that's true. I tune the guitars before we play and our lead singer has a dread Martin J45 and I can tell the difference between that and my 00028.

Archived