Gibson Brands Forums

Magnatone Amps?

L5Larry

Does anyone remember the original Magnatone amps, or have any knowledge on the new ones?

My wife, who is a commercial graphic artist in the advertising industry, has been asked to work on a new multimedia campaign for the new Magnatone amp line which was launched a couple of years ago. As she works full time in the "corporate" advertising world, she's been asked to do this "on the side". The referral came her as a combination of her experience/contacts in the ad biz, and mine in the music biz.

I see it as an interesting opportunity, but as she spends 50-60 hours a week in the downtown corporate high-rise, she's not really interested in this "side work". I'm looking for info that might help sway her.

There were a few around when I was a kid, and they were best used turned all they way up. They weren't remarkable enough to me to have to have one, but others loved them. I would imagine the new ones are Magnatone in name only.

Good luck to the Mrs!

rct

During my drummer days one of my bandmates played an SG through a 2x12 Magnatone. If you love those classic garage rock tones like I do, this is your amp. I remember the cab being real wood instead of the press board my Silvertones are, so it's a step up. The best part of these amps and what they are known for is the vibrato; sweet, luscious vibrato.

From what I have heard the reissues are the real deal. It's not just the name; they did these amps right with high quality components and pt 2 pt wiring. They had better be with the way they are priced.

I guess, they might appeal to the "hipsters" looking for retro-type gems.

But other than that, I can't think of a single sound or player that is associated with these, although I am familiar with their rep and have heard one at least once, being played by an acquaintance in a small venue/bar.

I'm afraid I ain't much help.

Of corse, if I knew your angle, or why YOU wanted her to take up the task....not sure what you or she has to gain from it, if she ain't into it.

But other than that, I can't think of a single sound or player that is associated with these...

That in itself may be an angle. Why sound like every other putz with a Marshall or a Fender amp? Be unique, be raw, play Magnatone...

But other than that, I can't think of a single sound or player that is associated with these, although I am familiar with their rep and have heard one at least once, being played by an acquaintance in a small venue/bar.

I'm afraid I ain't much help.

Of corse, if I knew your angle, or why YOU wanted her to take up the task....not sure what you or she has to gain from it, if she ain't into it.

I had a venue owner (trust fund baby) tell me that "he likes our music but, it's too overproduced." I almost Karate Choped the guy in the adams apple on general principle, we played a 90 min live set. We used the house P.A. and I couldn't hear my vocals or the bass drum (makes me nuts) in the monitors.

He then went on to lecture me about why he likes shittty music recorded on shittty equipment played with shittty instruments. I'm not bangin on Magnatone, but maybe this guy would buy a bunch. Or maybe I can play next gig with a plastic chinese guitar going through a Magnatone, and hock our decent mics for some Nirvana ones that say Tyco on the side.

Yeah I believe you're correct there. It's hard to think of any Magnatone users, huh?

I'm drawing a blank.

Although, kinda funny, out of curiosity of the new company, looked them up, and behold, a pic of an amp comes up that happens to be sitting in the corner of my room!

So I guess, that means yours truly might be a "user"...lol.

In reality, it's essentially a Champ, or a Gibson GA-5 sorta thing. Although, I think it's actually a "National" on the actual branding of it. Either way...

As far as legacy goes, regardless of quality or sound, I can't think of a single record, or player, where a Magnatone amp is heard or used.

Buddy Holly, his was in VG once. And Lonnie Mack turned them all the way up.

I'm not sure, but I do think somebody told me that Neil Young actually use(d)(s) a 280 driving that cabinet. I may mis-remember though.

I'm sure Gibbons will tell you he used them for years.

rct

Holy krunk! Did you watch the video? You're risking your life playing one of those barefooted (unless he got that thing grounded).

I'm not that old and we risked our lives every time we stepped to the mic back then, so it musta been a lot of times worse 15 years before my time.

rct

I'm not that old and we risked our lives every time we stepped to the mic back then, so it musta been a lot of times worse 15 years before my time.

rct

I played my Silvertone 1484 for years before I got her grounded. Yeah, each night I got to sing was a roll of dice on whether I got voltage across my mouth. I've also had my fingers zapped by playing through an old Gibson amp that wasn't grounded because I was too lazy to put on shoes. Not fun.

Archived