Gibson Brands Forums

NBD: 2013 Fender Jazz Bass 1966 Reissue

StRanger7032

I've decided to learn to play bass in order to make myself more marketable as a musician. I drove 100 miles to the "local" music store to check out some MIM Fenders and whatever else they had at the $400-$600 price range. After playing every bass they had, I settled on a MIM Jazz Bass.

The only thing I didn't like was the color, so I asked if they had any more in the back. The shop owner thought about it and finally mentioned that he had a made in Japan new old stock 1966 Reissue Jazz Bass in Olympic White in the back. It was on layaway for one of his musician friends, but the guy hadn't made a payment in 10 months. I left with the Reissue, a new set of strings, and an old tweed case for $1000. More than I planned on spending, but I guess I can justify it since it was a great deal and will hold its value. Now I need to learn to play bass like a bassist, not like a guitarist playing bass!

IMG_1532_zpsxsxtdsnm.jpg

Now I need to learn to play bass like a bassist, not like a guitarist playing bass!

You Sir, are a genius. In my opinion, there are few things worse than a guitarist who plays bass like a guitarist. If I understand correctly, Tom Scholz played bass on a lot of the songs on the first Boston album. To me, this is the classic example of a guitarist playing bass sounding like a guitarist playing bass.

BTW, it looks like a nice bass.

You Sir, are a genius. In my opinion, there are few things worse than a guitarist who plays bass like a guitarist. If I understand correctly, Tom Scholz played bass on a lot of the songs on the first Boston album. To me, this is the classic example of a guitarist playing bass sounding like a guitarist playing bass.

BTW, it looks like a nice bass.

Thanks! That would explain "Foreplay/Long Time"

Congrats on this pretty catch. [wub] HNBD to you! [thumbup]

The Vintage White MIJ Fender '65 Mustang Bass Reissue of mine is of extraordinarily fine craftmanship. I guess your Jazz Bass is made very nicely, too.

To my experience playing bass as a guitar player is not a problem. Most bassists are guitarists, too. I believe it is just about doing what the song takes. I'm sure you will get it right! [biggrin][thumbup]

Very nice too.

I still have a late 80s Squier Jazz and will be teaching on it this evening.

The guy wants to play 'lead bass'(?? He's not a guitar player either) and gets me to transcribe John Entwistle lines which can be pretty hard.....

I end up telling him to stay below the 7th fret g'dammit! ](*,) ](*,) [smile]

Nice piece for sure. Hope you have an amp that fits potential gigs with it.

I think there's a lot of crossover among guitarists and bassists, but frequently a "real" bassist simply feels and hears the bass parts and more easily fits into the rhythm section. I've done the bass thing myself, and do try to shift mental gears.

m

Nice piece for sure. Hope you have an amp that fits potential gigs with it.

I think there's a lot of crossover among guitarists and bassists, but frequently a "real" bassist simply feels and hears the bass parts and more easily fits into the rhythm section. I've done the bass thing myself, and do try to shift mental gears.

m

Thanks! Right now I'm just making do with a Line 6 modeling amp set to bass setting into a PA speaker. I'll have to invest in a proper bass amp when and if I ever find anyone to play music with again. I'm finding myself more inspired than I have been in a long time. I've been getting bored with guitar lately and needed a new challenge. The bass is nice because its different, yet familiar enough that I can already play it reasonably well. The fact that its a variant of a guitar eliminates most of the frustrating learning curve that comes with an entirely new instrument (like if I was trying to learn piano or pedal steel or something). I think I'll concentrate on the bass for a few months and see what happens.

Working on setup tonight. I realized its authentic spec right down to having to take the neck off to adjust the truss rod. Not Leo's most brilliant idea, but hopefully it won't need to be adjusted much.

Sometimes, if you take the guard off, there is enough room to fit a screwdriver into the exposed part of the rod adjustment thingy. A skinny, strong screwdriver is needed for that. Flat, not phillips.

If you HAVE to take the neck off, it's a real good idea to try and see (judge) how much you want to go. With the strings off and no tension, don't put the neck where you want it, but rather change it the amount you want to change.

In other words, it's easier to try and guess how much you want to change it before you loosen the strings and add that, rather than guess how much the strings will pull it after you adjust it.

Sometimes, if you take the guard off, there is enough room to fit a screwdriver into the exposed part of the rod adjustment thingy. A skinny, strong screwdriver is needed for that. Flat, not phillips.

If you HAVE to take the neck off, it's a real good idea to try and see (judge) how much you want to go. With the strings off and no tension, don't put the neck where you want it, but rather change it the amount you want to change.

In other words, it's easier to try and guess how much you want to change it before you loosen the strings and add that, rather than guess how much the strings will pull it after you adjust it.

Thanks! I actually got lucky and nailed it on the first try. Got some great action dialed in with no signs of fret buzz. Now if I could only get a Strat to do that!

Archived