Gibson Brands Forums

Speakers & Tubes

carranoj25

Hey guys, so building off the Rhythm Guitar Rig thread I started recently, I had brought my JCM 800 to rehearsal and it sounded really nice. However, I was using the studios cabinet which had Vintage 75 speakers in it. I believe mine has 25 Watt Greenbacks which I do not really like the sound of to be honest. Especially after playing through the 75's. My head also uses EL34's for tubes and I would like to make the switch to 6550's unless you guys suggest something else. So I am all ear. In terms of speakers and tubes because I know there are many brands out there, where do I look first? What am I looking for ? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

To my ears 99% of the time, a working tube is all you need. I don't hear much of a difference between tube types much less brands.

Edit: Every amp has some idiosyncrasies like my Mesa Dual Rec doesn't like Russian made preamp tubes so I avoid those and I put in a Tung Sol in my V1 slot which actually helped brighten up the clean channel. I would read up on the Marshall boards as far as what tubes people recommend to try or avoid.

The same can be said of speakers. I don't hear a difference between the most expensive of speakers and middle of the road speakers (as long as they are not blown of course). The cab construction can have more of an effect as far as frequencies go.

I bought Electro Harmonix 12ax7 because I had read that it was low noise and wanted to check it. Plugged into the preamp and heck no the JJ was far quieter. Plus the EH does overdrive much faster. Didn't do it for me. Had I researched before buying, I would have probably ended up with a 5751 and a more satisfactory result.

I would say look at some tube charts for comparison and decide after what you expect and need from your tubes.

With speakers the build of the cab may be important to (open/closed-back), what works for me doesn't have to work for you.

So, I would say lots to read and filter out myths and BS.

Oh and maybe try asking one of those tube shops what they would put into your amp, sometines they have replacement sets for specific amps.

Good luck.

... My head also uses EL34's for tubes and I would like to make the switch to 6550's unless you guys suggest something else. ...

CAUTION: 6550 power tubes need a considerably increased negative grid bias voltage compared to EL34. The entire grid bias circuit has to be modified, resistors in any case, and depending on their voltage ratings possibly the capacitors, too. I'm not sure about the screen grid resistors, there could be different ones required, too.

JUST REPLACING EL34s WITH 6550s WILL FOR SURE KILL THE 6550s AND POSSIBLY TAKE THE OUTPUT TRANSFORMER WITH THEM. IT MAY EVEN SET YOUR AMP ON FIRE.

I had an early JCM900 with EL-34's and loved it.

When I played the ones with 6L6's they felt more "harsh".

I also love the EL-84's in my Boogie Blue Angel.

Never used any 6550's.

I firmly believe in EL34's. I think their has got to be something to the reason all the best guitar techs in the world use em for classic rock. You get all the tube dynamics and sounds that add that rock grumble and can be cleaned up nicely with the volume nob on the guitar.

I firmly believe in EL34's. I think their has got to be something to the reason all the best guitar techs in the world use em for classic rock. You get all the tube dynamics and sounds that add that rock grumble and can be cleaned up nicely with the volume nob on the guitar.

The reason is simple. Marshall used them :P

You're probably better off sticking with EL34's for now and get the speakers figured out. Maybe see what people are using who have the kind of sound you're looking for. Look and see if there's a 'Rig Rundown' or something like that for you favorite Marshall guy(s). There's lots of good videos out there that demo different speakers. There's articles that talk about different brands and models. It'll take some research but it's the biggest thing you can do to get the sound you want.

Lots of guys will mix speaker types in the cabinet. Like 2 of one kind and 2 of another in a 4x12 or 1 each in a 2x12. [thumbup]

Lots of guys will mix speaker types in the cabinet. Like 2 of one kind and 2 of another in a 4x12 or 1 each in a 2x12. [thumbup]

Good point.

And, I have a Prosonic with 2;10's. A lot of bass rigs use 10's which is hard to wrap your brain around, but GOOD 10's will change things up also.

The plot thickens.............

[thumbup] Greenback + G12H30 = sonic bliss

That said the G12-75 are the right speakers for that JCM800 - IMHO of course.

Archived