Gibson Brands Forums

Surgery

pappy

She was placed on the surgery table and totally undressed, she was unable to communicate in a coherent manner. Now looking in the cavity we try to diagnose the problem,but due to the surgeon being a novice I am seeking outside consultation to continue woth the repair.

I noticed a resistor,( I am guessing that is what it is called) with the Fender name on it. Do I need to replace this also or carefully separate it , and reuse this piece?

Pictures below:

https://drive.google...AC7LUKlle3m51vQ

https://drive.google...SUtPemtfNWZpeE0

Also I would ask is it best to keep the pots original,albeit this is the reissue of the 54 Strat,so what are the thoughts on this?

If your like me, I would have taken it to a repair shop. You need a electrical tester to check those thing a ma jigs inside. My father in law is an electrician and checks our fuse box and has wired up the whole house. Sorry I can't help and I can't think of the tool that you need. My wife calls everything a thing a ma jig, so that's what I'm calling them to. Lol Ask a sales person at a hardware store for a thing a ma jig to test your diodes to see if there good or not! If that doesn't work, give your guitar a funeral service in the back yard.msp_flapper.gifSorry, I couldn't resist. Just kidding around! Butch

Either the signal is intermittedly shorted by a faulty insulation or interrupted by a transition resistance. I also experienced the first in the past, but the latter is more probable. Did you already try contact cleaner?

Easy.

Make yourself a diagram of what is there now.

Unsolder the bad pots, replace them with the new, and use the existing wires replacing only the pots.

Same with the cap. You can either unsolder it and replace it onto the new pot, or get a new one and do the same. Makes no difference, but it might be easier and quicker to just use the existing one, as it will still be tinned with solder and be cut to size.

Couple tips: Don't go hog wild and disconnect everything at once. It's easy to get ahead of yourself and find you have a bunch of parts and don't know where they go and what hooks up to what. MAKE YOURSELF A DIAGRAM.

Also, there is nothing wrong with doing one pot at a time. You are not on a production line, and you aren't trying to save time or anything.

Don't worry about the appearance of the job, making good looking solder joints and such. Once you know you have a good connection, don't try and make it look better. More stuff gets burned that way. It takes practice.

Just a quick update, total success on the replacement of the pots. She sounds great right now. Need to button her up and then we will be complete. Thanks to all that gave me directions,suggestions, there were two that really helped ,(diagram,photo)and do ONE at a time. Thnx all I did it![lol]

And now I can not play,cutting tomato for dinner and sliced my finger,tried to play and it started bleeding all over again. And this I did yesterday.[crying]

Archived