Gibson Brands Forums

What's Emmylou playing?

gearbasher

I was flipping around on the TV and landed on an old "Dolly" show from 1976. Linda Ronstadt and Emmylou Harris were the guest stars, so I had to watch. Can anyone ID the guitar in this photo? Sorry for the quality, but it's the best one I can find on the internet. Seems like I saw a thread with someone asking about a similar headstock logo. But, I can't find it and/or I lost too many brain cells and I'm imagining it.

1401x788-Screen-Shot-2015-05-08-at-1.43.43-PM.png

Here's Linda playing it:

hqdefault.jpg

I believe it's a Mark Whitebook guitar. He was a California luthier and his guitars were played by the likes of James Taylor during the 70's. Apparently he retired early due to allergies from sawdust and lacquer. His guitars command a big price these days as he made so few. Here's JT with a Dred and parlor models both sounds great.

I believe it's a Mark Whitebook guitar. He was a California luthier and his guitars were played by the likes of James Taylor during the 70's. Apparently he retired early due to allergies from sawdust and lacquer. His guitars command a big price these days as he made so few. Here's JT will a parlor model sounds great.

I think we have a winner!!! Wow, that was fast. Thanks.

CHpUyBvUsAAeH7t.jpg

That pic of Emmy Lou with her apples has to be from the 80's. Saw her with her "Hot Band" in the mid-80's and she wore a sheer blue top like that white one and blue jeans that must have been sprayed-on. Good Lord she was beautiful. You couldn't take your eyes off of her (She's still a striking and good-looking woman). Then after about a dozen songs she changed into a dark grey dress covered with roses. Had on her cowboy hat, boots, and all night she played that black J200. What a show and what a babe! What a band!....... That is a cool guitar she's playing in the pic. Most of the time she's playing one Gibson model or another, usually a super jumbo model. A Martin now and then....The talent shown in that pic is on the mind-boggling side, especially when compared to the garbage we're seeing/hearing so much of today with big name entertainment.

Archived