Gibson Brands Forums

Another gadget

blindboygrunt

Didn't that Laura D. do some of the promo clips for my TC Play Acoustic?

Jumped ship?

Without actually handling the gadget, I can see I already like it better than the TC because all the main functions have knobs instead of scrolling through endless software options like the TC, and the back looks more 'pro'.

I wouldn't buy it though, I don't think - main reason being that I don't have the needed pickup in some guitars I play a lot. I bought some soundhole pickups so as to not alter nice or vintage guitars, but they don't work as good through the TC as undersaddles. YMMV. If you could run a mic'd guitar signal easily, well that would be different!

BluesKing777.

The harmonies sound great and I agree with the more simple big button approach instead or scrolling

Thought it funny that the girl they used had a crappy sounding guitar 😕

It certainly didn't do much for her tone , unless of course that's exactly how she always wanted it to sound

Be a fun piece of kit though

Am off to watch Kt tunstall again

Looks pretty much identical to play acoustic in terms of features, and similar limitations on the guitar side where there seems to be only reverb and chorus effects which is bit limiting, missing some delay and volume boost for leads. Play acoustic has same weakness and hence I only use for voice enhancement and harmonies.

Biggest limitation I see here is that it doesn't have a digital screen where you can adjust the settings, which was key to get optimum tone on the play acoustic. If I can't adjust the levels on the harmony settings then it would be a deal breaker for me off the bat.

Yeah, that is too complicated for me. I'm constantly stepping on my own feet while I perform, and I'm always sitting down. God forbid if I had to jitterbug while singing. That gal has more rhythm and talent than I could ever have. I'm doing good with 4/4 AND 3/4 time. But I'd sure like her to play my Gibson.

Another day, another dollar!

I want it now, changed my mind. I like the knobs that change the main effects! Don't mind Ms Tunstall by the fake? Airstream trailer either...

They are going for Australian dollars 450 - 527 here. I got a little letter to say I have a small work bonus coming, so the guitar fund will be flush and no room for a new guitar unless I keep it in the car! Hmmmm.....A fool and his money?

What I don't like so much is you have to plug a guitar in for the harmony vocals to work, like the TC. Oh well, I have machinery..... [biggrin]

I also wonder if Boss are going to get sued by TC Electronics, maker of the Play Acoustic pedal?

BluesKing777.

Good idea , but it's like learning another instrument again . Reminds me when I bought a Boss looper last year ,looked easy , no it lasted a day and went back for a refund . What a performance from Kt amazing singer and killer guitar msp_thumbup.gif

It looks intimidating and it was a bit of a head spin at first with the play acoustic but once you sussed out how it works then it was a matter of using it for what you need, which for me is just a few but important things. The tone enhancer, and about three harmonies that I use, in particular the octave up blend which makes singing so much easier.

Don't get your head in a spin with all the knobs or Katie for that matter, a lot more simpler than one thinks.

And BK, see how much you can buy it new on Ebay US. I got my play acoustic that way for 250us delivered to Oz in time for Xmas. Much better deal me thinks than the rip off prices Aussies get slugged for all things musical.

It looks intimidating and it was a bit of a head spin at first with the play acoustic but once you sussed out how it works then it was a matter of using it for what you need, which for me is just a few but important things. The tone enhancer, and about three harmonies that I use, in particular the octave up blend which makes singing so much easier.

Don't get your head in a spin with all the knobs or Katie for that matter, a lot more simpler than one thinks.

And BK, see how much you can buy it new on Ebay US. I got my play acoustic that way for 250us delivered to Oz in time for Xmas. Much better deal me thinks than the rip off prices Aussies get slugged for all things musical.

You mean.....WAIT?

Plan was payday drive to closest joint that has one!

The overseas eBay unit wont have Australian plug!

BluesKing777.

You mean.....WAIT?

Plan was payday drive to closest joint that has one!

The overseas eBay unit wont have Australian plug!

BluesKing777.

Have you ever travelled overseas BK? You buy an adapter plugs for 5 bucks. I took a closer look at it now through the vids and it does seem easier and more intuitive than play acoustic. The instant looping button and 80 secs is a big plus and it does seem to have a more intuitive approach.

They also have 1/4 inch out which is obvious but for some odd reason play acoustic doesn't, so you can't plug guitar from it directly into an amp.

Seems they've learnt from mistakes on play acoustic and probably if I had to choose now I would get the Boss unit, but I won't as play acoustic does all I need. Boss is also 50% pricier which is quite a hike.

I have heaps of adapter plugs, but don't we need a transformer for the difference in power? Depends where it is made, I suppose? Boss (Japan)? US is 110 watts, Australia 240 watts, Europe mostly 220 watts - good thing to get correct or the hairstyle could be permanently frizzed..... and probably why everything hisses here!

Which kind of puts me totally off the whole thing, because I prefer gadgets with REAL power cord and not those dreadful 'Wall Warts'. (Designed to break).

I also played with my existing TC gadget and recorded half a dozen tunes - I have it down with the settings, so.....

EA, does your audience get a surprise when all the lush 3 part harmonies come out your amp? I would love a photo of their faces! Suppose it depends whether they are soberous, if they even notice.... [biggrin]

BluesKing777.

I found the US plugs are fine for both europe and Oz, just need to change the knobs.

With the audience question, they never notice it as I use it subtly and normally apply it across the whole song rather during the chorus. For example in the gig vids I shared here Wayferring stranger I sing with an octave up harmony double, but it's subtle and I sing it low, larynx down. But blended it sounds like a real nice mix, but sounds like one voice.

That's the key with those gadgets, finding how to use them to make your core vocal tone richer rather than just on chorus or bit parts.

[qquote name=BluesKing777' timestamp='1468536467' post='1784529]

I have heaps of adapter plugs, but don't we need a transformer for the difference in power? Depends where it is made, I suppose? Boss (Japan)? US is 110 watts, Australia 240 watts, Europe mostly 220 watts - good thing to get correct or the hairstyle could be permanently frizzed..... and probably why everything hisses here!

Which kind of puts me totally off the whole thing, because I prefer gadgets with REAL power cord and not those dreadful 'Wall Warts'. (Designed to break).

I also played with my existing TC gadget and recorded half a dozen tunes - I have it down with the settings, so.....

EA, does your audience get a surprise when all the lush 3 part harmonies come out your amp? I would love a photo of their faces! Suppose it depends whether they are soberous, if they even notice.... [biggrin]

BluesKing777.

Archived