Gibson Brands Forums

50 year guitar War

vikingtone

I have listened to Joe Walsh, over the years, play a 1959 Gibson Les Paul, some elderly Fender Stratocasters, a variety of Carvins, an ES-335, a very old Gretsch, an older Telecaster (on Funk 49), more Les Pauls, and a few Deusenbergs.

What listening to Joe Walsh has taught me, over the years, is this;

If you are Joe Walsh, and have a great pair of hands, and a certain technique, ANY guitar will sound like Joe Walsh.

I cannot choose between a great Gibson Les Paul and a nice Fender.

I want them all.

And I will endeavor to make them all sound like me.

[unsure][mellow] :unsure:

I don't own either a Strat or LP anymore- couldn't bond with either. I couldn't pick one that defines R'n'R for me, although I like the early stuff done with Gibson semi-hollow bodies like the 335.

How's it going Roger? As I recollect, you always owned top notch equipment.

1470873989[/url]' post='1790483']

I have listened to Joe Walsh, over the years, play a 1959 Gibson Les Paul, some elderly Fender Stratocasters, a variety of Carvins, an ES-335, a very old Gretsch, an older Telecaster (on Funk 49), more Les Pauls, and a few Deusenbergs.

What listening to Joe Walsh has taught me, over the years, is this;

If you are Joe Walsh, and have a great pair of hands, and a certain technique, ANY guitar will sound like Joe Walsh.

I cannot choose between a great Gibson Les Paul and a nice Fender.

I want them all.

And I will endeavor to make them all sound like me.

[unsure][mellow] :unsure:

I like lots of guitars. Wish I had most every brand but I don't need 100 guitars. I love the looks of the Strat and Les Paul but I'd choose Gibson Les Paul every time over the Strat simply because it feels more comfortable to me to play. But, I'd love to have a very nice Strat someday. For me, my next one would most likely be a BB King Gibson Lucilli custom. A older one with a Ebony fret board. That's a way off for now.

The place where we sell gear is the trading post (which you are already aware of). Reposting in the lounge to get more views is spamming. If everybody posted spam in the lounge there would be nothing interesting to read here and that is why it's against the rules.

Nobody needs to look at your eBay auctions to understand the difference between a Strat and a Les Paul.

You have to keep in mind that this is a classic Roger post. I may be wrong, but I thought he was banned from this forum... he is using a different account now.

All kidding aside, give the meager choices offered by Roger The Spammer, I would choose the Gibson Les Paul every time.

Though I am a fan of many Fender designs, and a huge fan of Fender amplifiers, and clearly, I love my Telecaster, there is that one nagging truth;

I have never been attracted to the Fender Stratocaster.

True, I have owned a few strat copies over the years.

Two different Epiphone S-300 models: one from the 1980's with the hockey-stick headstock, and one from the late 1990's with the G&L style headstock.

A ridiculously-obvious counterfeit Stratocaster (which I gave to a friend who coveted it, and who promised to never pass it off as 'real').

My current dalliance, an Austin Stratocaster copy in transparent red, a splendid and fun guitar.

And I enjoyed the sounds I got out of them.

But I sort of stumbled onto each of them. And there was always a kitchy vibe to them not being genuine Fenders.

And, invariably, they will rotate out of my stable of addictive behaviors.

But if you asked me to concoct a list of electric guitars that I have regularly dreamed of, the Fender Stratocaster would never even crack the top ten.

A partial list, just for fun:

* 1971-ish Gibson Les Paul Deluxe gold-top, to replace the one that got away.

* A modern Gibson Les Paul Signature T, in Alpine White.

* Modern Gibson Explorer, black with white pick guard.

* Gibson ES-335, in red.

* Gibson ES-339, no color preference.

* Godin 5th Avenue CW Kingpin II, in Cognac Burst.

* Fender Aerodyne bass guitar, in black.

* Parker Fly, in silver.

* Ovation Deacon or Breadwinner, hopefully in pristine condition.

and the

* Gretsch Green Falcon.

Okay, I'm gonna shut up now.

:unsure:

it makes no sense to me. you pit the LP standard over generic strat. the LP standard is one of the last les paul's i would ever buy. as for the strat, buying a new american standard these days is retarded unless you have enough money you can afford to flush some in the toilet. then the other options are just "other".

i own an LP and a strat, they're great guitars. i say this from a point of value for your dollar. both companies offer better bang for your buck with other models, and both companies, but ESPECIALLY fender, are better off bought used

The film linked to and the title of the post references is the film Solid Bodies the 50 year Guitar War.SOLIDBODIES: THE 50 YEAR GUITAR WAR http://www.solidbodiesthemovie.com/flash_index.html it was made 9 years ago and being pedantic would tend to your point deeman. Equally though officianados of the movie would quite equally be justified in objecting to a strict re naming to the 59 year guitar war. War is of course a metaphoric device which iothers have already pointed out is also not strictly appropriate or indeed accurate so les'ts say both 50 years and War are artistic devices that given license add to a certain piquency in the question. The results of the poll seem a foregone conclusion given the venue of the poll a different answer may well be forthcoming from a fenser forum. I am a member of the telecaster forum but not of any Strat forum and I have not actually posted on any other forum in the lounge general discussionsection. there is a post in the MLP classifieds section with a link to my blog but no exciting poll like there is here.

:rolleyes:

How much is a parker N

4H

Don't know the current prices. They USA models are no longer available, but they were in-line with Fender/Gibson/Ibanez models, from reasonable to extravagant.

They moved the factory overseas, so the price is less than I paid for both of mine.z

And even if the OP was spam, it doesn't work on me. Since I got my Parker, I no longer have GAS. I can look at other guitars and admire their beauty, but I no longer have a desire to own anything by my Parkers and one hollow body archtop.

Notes

What else do you plan to sell Roger? Not that I can buy another guitar without risking castration.

Hi Philip I will be selling the 1949 LG2 and also the Taylor T5 Ovengkol limited edition. I have re listed the start and LP as no takers so far and the max imum I can list limits me to those tow for now.

Hope you are well Philip.

Cheers

Roger

What else do you plan to sell Roger? Not that I can buy another guitar without risking castration.

Hi Philip I will be selling the 1949 LG2 and also the Taylor T5 Ovengkol limited edition. I have re listed the start and LP as no takers so far and the max imum I can list limits me to those tow for now.

Hope you are well Philip.

Cheers

Roger

I don't own either a Strat or LP anymore- couldn't bond with either. I couldn't pick one that defines R'n'R for me, although I like the early stuff done with Gibson semi-hollow bodies like the 335.

How's it going Roger? As I recollect, you always owned top notch equipment.

Good thanks Zig Zag, still enjoying Sweden although I wish the summers were longer. Kids back to school next week.

I have hardly played guitar this past year I have been working very hard on a new Business based on Crypto Currencies and Have had no inclination to pick up a guitar. Hopefully when I get the new project off the ground I will have some time again for guitar.

Cheers Zig Zag hop+e things are good with you too.

Rog

Don't know the current prices. They USA models are no longer available, but they were in-line with Fender/Gibson/Ibanez models, from reasonable to extravagant.

They moved the factory overseas, so the price is less than I paid for both of mine.z

And even if the OP was spam, it doesn't work on me. Since I got my Parker, I no longer have GAS. I can look at other guitars and admire their beauty, but I no longer have a desire to own anything by my Parkers and one hollow body archtop.

Notes

Notes I am with you, GAS left me quite some time ago now and the guitars I Like now are the ones I have built or heavily modded and are as such not really saleable anyway. The Parkers certainly have a great deal to offer and I like the innovative aspects of their approach as well.

The place where we sell gear is the trading post (which you are already aware of). Reposting in the lounge to get more views is spamming. If everybody posted spam in the lounge there would be nothing interesting to read here and that is why it's against the rules.

Nobody needs to look at your eBay auctions to understand the difference between a Strat and a Les Paul.

Contrary to what some may believe all Les Pauls are not created equal Dub. The 74 Les Paul is actually a very interesting Version of the LP in that it was the first year the standard went back into production after production stopped in 1960. The /€´s are actually quite sought after by both Collectors and players who can't afford the 58,59 and 60's as such in its own right the 1974 Les Paul is an interesting starting point for a discussion about LP´s that are collectable but also giggable for those going for the classic 58/59 sound.

Whether the Film 50 year guitar war is a lame title or not well thats a motter of opinion. I think its a good film and worth watching and of any brand rivalry the one between Fender and Gibson is long running and pretty tribal , again part of the marketing back story that keeps the price of todays LP's at premium levels. Again I think this is an old discussion topic but one which is always interesting and where new things are always learned at least by those of us who realise how little we actually know.

Last time I looked taking part in forum discussions was still optional, hopefully thats still true here in the Gibson Lounge.

You have to keep in mind that this is a classic Roger post. I may be wrong, but I thought he was banned from this forum... he is using a different account now.

Bill, I was banned years ago, I thought I had for some reason managed to get a life Ban , which I thought was excessive. It turned out that this forum will not work on my network if I am logged in elsewhere in the house on another computer and the Ban was actually for a short time. My crime was necro posting and incurred the wrath of Dwayne, who also managed to take down the byrdland thread which I had started back in 2009 and had many views and a lot of interesting posts from Byrdland Enthusiasts all over the world. That bit of Web Vandalism was I think somewhat worse than my original mis-demeanor,in my own opinion, but there you have it.

So I have this account now and it is my only one, I have never been a troll or sought to hide either who I am or what my opinion is. This post has a little more meat in it than any of the Spam I ever ate as a kid. For instance both of the guitars have an Impulse response file that can be downloaded from my Tonefreqhz band camp page , on my web site there is one pick up position for each available for free. Whilst many will not be into sound modelling some are and thats actiually quite a good way to get an idea of what an individual guitars tone is like, especially where buyers are not just on the other side of the country or town but the other side of the world.

I am scratching my head as to why some might get up tight and decide that the OP is spam, I honestly do not think it is. It tends more to charcuteri than luncheon meat,the LP has something of Italian Bresola in its dark colour and richness the strat is more of Lighly smoked Palma Ham.

Spam and Gibson should never belong in the same sentence, Gentlemen please show the appropriate level of deference, we are definitely not talking about tinned meat here.

Archived