Gibson Brands Forums

Quality or lack of it!

Digger

There's no doubting that Chinese manufacturers are capable of high quality work, guitars I think are an example of that these days, with good quality being available at reasonable prices.

I think that problems occur when importers and large chains pressure manufacturers for lower and lower prices whilst maintaining high retail prices, obviously in an attempt to gouge more profit out of an item.

An instance I am dealing with is "Jump Starter Packs" or "Booster Packs", I have been paying more and more for them but none last much more than the warranty period! I have lots of things on the property that have batteries and at times require jump starting but invariably my booster pack lets me down when I most need it. I'm gonna go and buy another this morning as I really need to be able to start vehicles with flat batteries but wonder just how much I've got to pay to get something reliable? This is an item I might use between 4 and 6 times a year.

The last I bought was around $150 so I wonder if $200 buys a decent product, if not how much, $300? Can I even buy a reliable product these days?

I don't think this is the fault of the Chinese but they get the blame in a lot of cases when it's likely the retailers/chains in our own countries forcing quality down whilst maintaining high prices.

Anyone else?

Yep, see it everywhere. Wife and I were talking today about why fast food places are so high. Her and I can't eat at a fast food chain as cheep as a restraunt in some places. Chedars we can have a sit down course meal for two cheaper then a drive through. Didn't know employees at fast food were making like $15.00 an hour here. Management drops quality of the food to pay employees and the customer picks up the bill. Crappy food for more money. That's why we quit going to fast food. Only go out when there's a coupon for half off or pin points to get one meal free at our favorite restraunts. Sorry, back to the subject now.

Unfortunately Dig you are a few yrs older even than me so remember quality which was replaced by built-in obsolescence then cheaper materials (out of necessity) and cheaper manufacturing 'elsewhere'.

"Made In Britain" was a benchmark when I was young but if you never needed to buy another, well....manufacturers went out of business.

Quality still exists; I'm fairly certain you can get whatever it is you are seeking on the net but a good, guaranteed one may cost you a couple hundred more and postage I expect.

There's no doubting that Chinese manufacturers are capable of high quality work, guitars I think are an example of that these days, with good quality being available at reasonable prices.

I think that problems occur when importers and large chains pressure manufacturers for lower and lower prices whilst maintaining high retail prices, obviously in an attempt to gouge more profit out of an item.

An instance I am dealing with is "Jump Starter Packs" or "Booster Packs", I have been paying more and more for them but none last much more than the warranty period! I have lots of things on the property that have batteries and at times require jump starting but invariably my booster pack lets me down when I most need it. I'm gonna go and buy another this morning as I really need to be able to start vehicles with flat batteries but wonder just how much I've got to pay to get something reliable? This is an item I might use between 4 and 6 times a year.

The last I bought was around $150 so I wonder if $200 buys a decent product, if not how much, $300? Can I even buy a reliable product these days?

I don't think this is the fault of the Chinese but they get the blame in a lot of cases when it's likely the retailers/chains in our own countries forcing quality down whilst maintaining high prices.

Anyone else?

We use those booster packs all the time at work. We replace the batteries every 12-18 months instead of replacing the whole pack. They're a bit of work to take apart, but its way cheaper to replace the battery than the whole thing.

Archived