Gibson Brands Forums

Jimmy and his Tele

Jantha

Not that it matters, but I've always wondered. Jimmy Page is pretty well known for his LP and Double Neck SG... but he used his Telecaster quite a bit on their first album. Do you think they would have had the same punch if he would have stuck with his Tele? I love his sound in later albums, but he made that Tele sound pretty damn good!

Just wonderin..

Probably. Page used so much different gear in the studio - not just guitars, but amps and studio stuff - that his parts probably still would have come out the way he wanted them to sound. He recorded "Black Dog" without an amp; plugged his guitar into two compressors (Urei 1176's, I think) chained together and slammed them so they'd distort.

I gigged my '91 Tele for a few years playing classic rock. I worked it well. So much of it's in your amp, and right hand, heck yea, Page coulda played a Tele his whole career had he wanted to.

Buckers give you different options though. I'm glad to be back with Gibson.

I think we all go through "stages".........

Best of luck.

Murph.

Yea, I kinda figured as much. Just on a total side note, I'm gonna try one the next time I'm at the guitar shop. I've never cared much for the looks of them, but maybe I'm missing out on something good.. never know I guess.

He used the Tele for the solo in the studio version of Stairway to Heaven, and quite a few song on Physical Graffiti.

Jeff Beck gave him the Tele and Joe Walsh gave him his Les Paul. And let's not forget his Danelectro. My favorite of Page's guitars is the Heritage Cherry Les Paul he uses for "Whole Lotta Love" on The Song Remains the Same.

Archived