Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite Cleaner and Polish

bondo

I have an ebony finish and am a big fan of Virtuoso but ever since I've started using it on my black SG there's always a light powder/dust on the finish after I play or wipe it down with a micro-fiber. It doesn't happen on any of my other finishes. I contacted Virtuoso and they have had a few cases of this happening and are not sure what it is. Maybe it's dust from the micro-fiber and it shows up better on the black surface...I don't know.

Aside from Virtuoso anybody have any other favorites?

I've heard good things about Dunlop 65 and Lizard Spit... anyone use those?

I use a polish called Power Chord. My guitar technician recommended it.

He also said not to use micro-fiber cloths because it just spreads around the gunk instead of absorbing it. He suggests using plain Viva paper towels because thay are the closest thing to cloth with no lint left behind.

He has been a technician for over 36 years and has worked on some famous guitars including but not limited to Eric Capton's Blackie... So I'll take his word on that.

Good old Martin Guitar Polish. No grease, no oils, no residue. For a really funky one wipe it down with naptha and a soft cotton rag several times. The naptha will cut accumulated waxes, silicones, sweat goo, 40 year old beer spills & other assorted yuck and not harm the lacquer. I will also occasionally use Meguiars body shop pro products, like #9 Swirl Remover, all the way to their fine cut cleaner when the situation is severe. Usually not necessary.

The VM has a poly finish, right? So any of the above mentioned products should be fine. It's nitro-safe you have to worry about. Polyurethane will stand up to just about anything. On the other hand, if there's no sealant and I'm completely wrong (which is possible) I would recommend the Gibson Pump Polish. It's pretty safe.

Its a Non-finish guitar so I just worry about ruining the guitar. But I'll look into the Pump Polish.

As I said' date=' I use it on my coffee table and haven't seen any harmful effects thus far. You could also look into acoustic guitar polishes... Gibson and Martin are the only 2 companies that still use nitro on their acoustics so most acoustic polishes would be safe to put directly on the wood. Just remember that whenever you're applying polish to spray it onto the [b']cloth[/b] and then buff onto the guitar. Never spray directly on to the guitar.

Naptha is just regular lighter fluid, correct? Does it matter which brand?

One thing I've noticed in the few weeks I've had my LP is how easily the finish gets gummed up, especially in places like where I brace with my pinky. It does not clean up easily with just a wipe down or polish for that matter. If the naptha works, I'll try it.

Archived