Gibson Brands Forums

Strap locks

bassetman

Had a close call with the J45 . What strap locks do you like best? I have a set of Dunlop and Schaller.... I think.....coming. Never used these before. These endpin output jack strap button combos are an accident waiting to happen.

....no guitars were damaged for this post.

Now, THAT is cool.

I get different impressions from the 23 reviews. Most say it's great. a handful complain that the hole in a guitar strap will still not fit securely over this new piece.

One tried enlarging the hole on the end of a high quality strap and ruined the strap. One soul stated all he had to do was enlarge the strap hole with a pair of needle nose pliers. That, to me, sounds like a short term fix attached to a long term risk. As one commenter noted, once you hack a bigger hole in your strap end to fit this adapter, you can no longer use that strap on a standard end pin.

The problem is - the male part of the jack that get's plugged in is a standard diameter. The female part that is attached to the guitar has to be a minimal diameter in order to hold the male part. That standard diameter is bigger than the standard diameter of the holes punched in strap ends. Without the proper tools, you can't enlarge a hole in the leather end piece.

Compounding the diameter issue is the thickness issue - while it appears this StewMac adapter addresses this problem, the standard female jack receptacles have a 'groove' around them ostensibly for the strap to set in. This is basically what regular endpins have, though they are more curved to accept different sizes. The groove in most of the female jack pieces is too narrow to accept a thicker strap end. A few noted that many strap ends are still too thick to fit in the size of the groove on the StewMac adapter.

So, I'll not be gambling $14 each to see if it works for me.

I'd generally opine that something is wrong with the strap if it won't stay on the endpin jack button well...........undersized or oversized hole, worn out strap tab.......or even overzealous hopping around gymnastics while playing. I agree they do suck but it's still a proper button, too big but a button nonetheless. Strap locks on an acoustic guitar does seem to be overkill, kind of like a big padlock on a desk drawer. There are a few alternatives that are more appealing than those clunky strap locks................

Tapastring StrapKeeper

Tapastring Vintage Jack

I'd generally opine that something is wrong with the strap if it won't stay on the endpin jack button well...........undersized or oversized hole, worn out strap tab.......or even overzealous hopping around gymnastics while playing. I agree they do suck but it's still a proper button, too big but a button nonetheless. Strap locks on an acoustic guitar does seem to be overkill, kind of like a big padlock on a desk drawer. There are a few alternatives that are more appealing than those clunky strap locks................

Tapastring StrapKeeper

Tapastring Vintage Jack

I'd like to try the Vintage Jack if I had need of such a thing.

I've used the StrapKeeper before and it works very well. But I find it is usually a matter of just sitting down with an X-acto knife and enlarging the strap hole little by little until you get a good fit. The key is to just cut off a small sliver at a time, test fit, then cut off a bit more if necessary.

My concern about straplocks on an acoustic is that acoustics really aren't that heavy to begin with. And you're adding a lot of metal to the strap. If you store your strap in your case, that's a lot of metal to bang around. I don't like a lot of metal around my guitars.

In my misspent youth, when I played Teles and Les Pauls, I used straplocks. You need them on an electric.

My concern about straplocks on an acoustic is that acoustics really aren't that heavy to begin with. And you're adding a lot of metal to the strap. If you store your strap in your case, that's a lot of metal to bang around. I don't like a lot of metal around my guitars.

If you are changing guitars on the gig it helps to be able to use as few straps as possible, especially since wireless makes it even more complex. I use one strap all night and it is good to be able to just strap on the acoustic same as the others, without taking off the wireless and all that. As for weight well, what does that "lot of metal" actually weigh? An ounce? Even with a few glasses of wine in me hoisting a couple more ounces isn't really a problem when there is Rock to be made. Bro.

I haven't kept a strap in a case in decades, for that reason. Nothing in the case but the guitar and a wrapped set of strings.

rct

I get different impressions from the 23 reviews. Most say it's great. a handful complain that the hole in a guitar strap will still not fit securely over this new piece.

One tried enlarging the hole on the end of a high quality strap and ruined the strap. One soul stated all he had to do was enlarge the strap hole with a pair of needle nose pliers. That, to me, sounds like a short term fix attached to a long term risk. As one commenter noted, once you hack a bigger hole in your strap end to fit this adapter, you can no longer use that strap on a standard end pin.

The problem is - the male part of the jack that get's plugged in is a standard diameter. The female part that is attached to the guitar has to be a minimal diameter in order to hold the male part. That standard diameter is bigger than the standard diameter of the holes punched in strap ends. Without the proper tools, you can't enlarge a hole in the leather end piece.

Compounding the diameter issue is the thickness issue - while it appears this StewMac adapter addresses this problem, the standard female jack receptacles have a 'groove' around them ostensibly for the strap to set in. This is basically what regular endpins have, though they are more curved to accept different sizes. The groove in most of the female jack pieces is too narrow to accept a thicker strap end. A few noted that many strap ends are still too thick to fit in the size of the groove on the StewMac adapter.

So, I'll not be gambling $14 each to see if it works for me.

I read all those reviews and still bought it because I had confidence in my ability not to screw it up and I didn't. I don't know why so many had issues. I just made a small slit to widen the hole in my strap and it fits fine. Nothing ruined and things are secure. And I'm not very handy. Nobody has to buy it (I am not an investor :)). Just giving out my personal real world experience.

Schallers. Put Schallers on everything.

Even the acoustics. If you feel safer with them, then that's fine. It's not overkill if it saves your guitar and your peace of mind. I've got strap locks on a <$200 Epi; wouldn't change a thing about that.

On the one guitar I had with a pickup (since sold), I used one of the tapastring gizmos and it worked well. I use plain old rubber washers from the hardware store over the strap button by the neck heel. When putting a guitar away, I take the strap off the endpin, leave it connected at the strap button, and roll/fold it up to fit in the headstock area of the case. If I'm being really diligent (like at a gig) I put a washer over the endpin, too.

Well, I've had them on a few days and tried both the Dunlop and Schallers. I love these things. If minor injuries or disability makes you nervous of a drop these things are better than Irish in coffee. The Dunlop are slightly lower profile. The schallers a bit taller but as easy to mount and engage/release. They rattle a bit at times until they have weight on them. Very happy I tried them.

I have these on a few acoustics. they work pretty good, but I will admit I've actually had them slip off twice. I use them on the endpin side with the input jack, then use a Grolsch beer bottle washer on the other end.

+1 on the Grolsch beer bottle washers. Used on all my acoustics - on both ends of the strap. Not one mishap - very secure [thumbup]!

You wanna make sure that the flare of the strap button is of a good size to prevent slipping off. On vintage guitars with small buttons I replace them with better sized ones - and keep the originals in the case.

JB

Archived