Gibson Brands Forums

Ugliest Expensive Guitars Ever?

sparquelito

Yeah, but how come we both posted up the same image?! [omg] ?

BTW, Andertons have a bunch of Zematis ranging from £1,700 to £6,000

They do look very similar.. But if you look at the one I posted it only has the normal controls.. the one you posted has an extra switch and knob at the back.

Andertons did a demo about a year or so ago

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They do look very similar.. But if you look at the one I posted it only has the normal controls.. the one you posted has an extra switch and knob at the back.

You see, that's why I feel so out of step here, I never notice the details. :huh:

If I was asked to sketch (and I do have some drawing skill) my guitars from memory, they would all look pretty similar. I don't how many knobs are on each one, let alone whether they are top hats, domes, speed or are missing entirely. As for colours?? ... I do know the Ric ones are definitely chrome.

You see, that's why I feel so out of step here, I never notice the details. :huh:

If I was asked to sketch (and I do have some drawing skill) my guitars from memory, they would all look pretty similar. I don't how many knobs are on each one, let alone whether they are top hats, domes, speed or are missing entirely. As for colours?? ... I do know the Ric ones are definitely chrome.

Well most normal people are like you :)... Details don't really matter...

A lot of us on here though are proper guitar nerds... And its those small details which is exactly what we concentrate on... And indeed it doesn't really mean much in the real world, a knob is a knob :D a plastic or chrome or different shaped one wont make much difference at all apart from some people like certain types for grip or the way they look and even that is being picky....

Really?

eusa_think.gif

Pip.

Well I just mean when it comes to the details of guitars....

Most people I don't think really care.. I reckon we are the minority who discuss and sometimes obsess about this sort of thing. But then personally even though I enjoy discussing it, im not all that bothered when it comes to my own guitars which generally stay stock...

Like when I bought my Classic.. at that time (2002) I had no idea of the amount of models there were and all the differences.. All I knew was that it had a better neck for me than a Standard of the same era and I liked it and the way it sounded.. I had no idea the sort of pickups it had or the differences in the bridges and all that...

And indeed im the only one I know of all my guitar playing friends who even knows anything about all of this. If I ever start getting nerdy with them say when talking about the technical details of guitars I see within a few minutes that they don't really care.. All they care about when it comes to their guitars is do they like the way it plays and sounds.. Which lets face it is really whats important...

Mind you I only take it so far... When they start going on about molecular correct plastics and that sort of detail I also start to loose interest pretty quickly... :)

... And indeed it doesn't really mean much in the real world, a knob is a knob :D a plastic or chrome or different shaped one wont make much difference at all apart from some people like certain types for grip or the way they look and even that is being picky....

Grip is what I definitely care for. On Gibsons this means retrofitting with Speed Knobs for me if they're not stock, crucial for push/pull pots. Without the need for pull grip I'm fine with Witch Hat Knobs, too, and stayed with all twelve of them.

Well most normal people are like you :)... Details don't really matter...

Really?

eusa_think.gif

Pip.

I researched a little on Zemaitis guitars. Seems like I don't care about them, and therefore further details are of no interest for me like with all guitars or other things that I just don't care for :-k

Well I just mean when it comes to the details of guitars....
...I don't care about them, and therefore further details are of no interest for me...

I was alluding to 'details' in the broader context; not just about guitars or a particular brand and was just surprised to read that Rabs opined most folks might not be that interested in them.

Personally I can't see the point in NOT caring about details. 'Detail' is frequently what constitutes the difference between 'Well-executed' and 'Poorly-done' *

(and whilst I agree that, perhaps, molecular-level plastics is taking things to extremes I can still see why the practice exists....msp_smile.gif).

Pip.

(*) NIBS!

(*) NIBS!

There's always one who brings nibs into it [laugh]

Zemaitis are interesting guitars I think, yet I've never tried one or had the urge to investigate them further. I always associate them with Ronnie Wood (who I'm pretty sure played one at some point) and Gilby Clarke from GN'R.

Right before I joined this forum I had a good go on a Travis Bean 1500 I think it was; you couldn't say it was beautiful but not ugly either, basically a big precision-machined ali billet with wood wings - completely flat board, heavier than any LP. Cold but very impressive.

Travis Bean! You don't see them mentioned much on these pages. I love the look of the tb 1000, but they seem very difficult to find over here. I went to a gig years ago and one of the guys in the band had a Travis - sounded amazing.

Travis Bean! You don't see them mentioned much on these pages. I love the look of the tb 1000, but they seem very difficult to find over here....

Yes. Nice guitars. Pretty rare as well.

They - and Kramer Guitars after them - were being advertised in the music press (International Musician?) back in the day and I seem to remember seeing snaps of Thin Lizzy's Brian Robertson with one. Come to think of it it might even have been in the aforementioned ad?...........eusa_think.gif

There was a bit of a discussion about them here a few years ago and with the help of wiki (again) it was (and is) possible to join-the-dots between the two brands mentioned;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travis_Bean

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kramer_Guitars

Pip.

Yes. Nice guitars. Pretty rare as well.

They - and Kramer Guitars after them - were being advertised in the music press (International Musician?) back in the day and I seem to remember seeing snaps of Thin Lizzy's Brian Robertson with one. Come to think of it it might even have been in the aforementioned ad?...........eusa_think.gif

There was a bit of a discussion about them here a few years ago and with the help of wiki (again) it was (and is) possible to join-the-dots between the two brands mentioned;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travis_Bean

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kramer_Guitars

Pip.

Hey pippy!

Thanks for the links...I don't know too much about the backgrounds of these guitar makers, so it will be a fascinating read.

I found a few TB's for sale on ebay this morning, but at nearly £7000 I think I'll have to pass...I didn't realise they were that expensive on the vintage market. For some reason I thought they'd go for £1000- £3000 I guess!

This one is gorgeous - check out that walnut finish [love]

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Travis-Bean-Electric-Guitar-/221729006815

I was alluding to 'details' in the broader context; not just about guitars or a particular brand and was just surprised to read that Rabs opined most folks might not be that interested in them.

Personally I can't see the point in NOT caring about details. 'Detail' is frequently what constitutes the difference between 'Well-executed' and 'Poorly-done' *

(and whilst I agree that, perhaps, molecular-level plastics is taking things to extremes I can still see why the practice exists....msp_smile.gif).

Pip.

(*) NIBS!

Hi Pip,

I am very interested in certain details that affect sound and play-ability, such as neck flatness, nut width, fretboard material, bridge type, string path, scale, pickup type and placement etc.

But I don't care about what shape the knobs are. As for how many there are, I would ideally prefer one, because I only use one.

What I don't use, I don't notice, unless it gets in the way.

Wow, type in "Ugliest guitars on Facebook" and there are tons that would shock you guys. Start posting lol.

Ugly YES... Expensive.. Probably not so much :)

But heres some anyway ;) (prepare your eyes people)(and your gag reflex :))

That actually has to be worse than the SG V thing (the ones on the wall behind it aint much better)

00226_n_zpsady5zrq4.jpg

I forgot about the distortocaster... cant think why

bender1-875x743_zpsykdi6dv1.jpg

9388312000_n_zpsmyg0bhcq.jpg

3173210_n_zpsstbdysdt.jpg

:o

eatured_zps55eyxgi3.jpg

And I liked this one.. Just a headstock. But still ugly :unsure:

855_n_zps2vwiv3jd.jpg

Archived