Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson with Fender Amps

RockyA

I have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and plug my Gibsons (ES-335, Les Pauls and SGs all passive) into input 1. My Ltd H-7 7 string with active EMGs is the only guitar that I plug into input 2.

Usually input 2 on my Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12, as it is supposedly attenuated for humbuckers, although I just got a Gibson All American II with single coils that I'll try running through input 1. The bigger issue I've had with the Hot Rod Deville is how damn loud it is; I'm used to running a JCM900 half-stack at half power/50w and being able to push the tubes harder, but I can't crank the Deville past 2 or 3.

I would always go with input 1. It has 1 MOhms and won't load down pickups significantly. The typical input 2 design includes a voltage divider using two 68 kOhms or 75 kOhms resistors and thus is a 136 kOhms or 150 kOhms load, cutting volume in general by 6 dB and furthermore attenuating the pickup/cable resonance to about similar extent, depending on pickup(s) and cable used.

The very sense of input 2 can be to avoid distorting the input stage with hot pickups for clean tones. However, it will affect tone when plugging the guitar directly. Using NON-BYPASS (!) FX pedals will preserve the guitar tone in this case. True-bypass FX pedals should never be used exclusively or as single FX pedal.

I have a 90's DRRI and I always only use input 1 on channel 2. Guess I could try input 2 when wanting to jam at lower levels, but non of my guitars are high output.

btw I always use channel 2 because that one has tasty spring reverb and rich, delicious tremolo. The bright cap is annoying as F, though. Some day I'll get the amp mod'd with a push/pull knob to bypass it.

Archived