Gibson Brands Forums

New Pedals

zigzag

I can live with that.

I'm a tough one though.

"Yeah, whatever you think is good...".

"Can you make this wang bar work...yeah fine, I don't care how many springs...".

"No, a little high is fine...".

"If you want, that's fine."

"10s...or whatever...".

"Yeah, new nut, whatever...".

"Next week? Sure, week after, whenever, I have a dozen more...".

"DO NOT WIND MY STRINGS. KNOT THEM. IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW I'LL SHOW YOU."

rct

I'm a tough one though.

"Yeah, whatever you think is good...".

"Can you make this wang bar work...yeah fine, I don't care how many springs...".

"No, a little high is fine...".

"If you want, that's fine."

"10s...or whatever...".

"Yeah, new nut, whatever...".

"Next week? Sure, week after, whenever, I have a dozen more...".

"DO NOT WIND MY STRINGS. KNOT THEM. IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW I'LL SHOW YOU."

rct

So it sounds like as long as I knot the strings, I don't have to do anything else and I can charge you for a set up. [thumbup]

I have not. It's near the top of my list though. We had a hurricane to live through and I've been doing a lot of guitar repair/setup work for a client with a lot of guitars. As soon as I get free time that build will happen!

Working on any cool guitars? I saw about that hurricane and of course thought of you over there. Hope you're all doing alright

1478091447[/url]' post='1809729']

I got rid of my Strat, because even when I modified it with Dimarzio Virtual Vintage pickups, I just couldn't bond. I love the sound of my Tele for the right stuff, and I have a Modern Player Jaguar with P-90s that I love, but I am mainly a humbucker player. I just don't get into those thin, glassy tones, even with warmer versions.

I learned Walk Don't Run back when I was a kid in the '60s (I'm also 63) and I'll still break into it in fits of insanity, along with Pipeline and a few D!ck Dale gems. (That reminds me... I should look into a good tremolo pedal.)

And sparquelito, I've had the original Cry Baby for decades, but it doesn't have true bypass, and really sucks the tone.

I've never owned either. As a teen I had around 14 guitars and I loved my Gretsch and Ovation 12 the most. I knew more Venture songs back then and still can play Pipeline pretty good, Wife gets tired of it I think. Now I'm Relearning Walk Don't Run. I'm still trying to replace things I used to have and learn as many songs as I can. Since I got my 1st Gibson at 60 when I retired, I'm with you. I love that Humbucker sound.

I just ordered a couple of new pedals- a Dunlop Cry Baby 535Q and a Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker. I'm gonna combine that with a HardWire DL-8 delay pedal, and I may add an MXR Phase 90. I'm going to use those pedals with an original Mesa Express 5:50 which has an FX loop capability. This will be my setup for a while, although I'm considering adding a Fulltone OCD overdrive pedal at some point. Any recommendations on pedal order and whether it would be a good idea to use the FX option in some way?

I'd put the Wah in front of the amp, then in the effects loop put the Big Muff, DL8 then phaser. YMMV

Are those silicon or germanium? The Mosrite that I have in the picture is one of the early germanium models and it sounds pretty amazing. I also have an original silicon one, but it is branded for Guild instead of Mosrite (has the Sprague Mosrite capsule circuit inside)

They are silicon, but here's the magic - They are the ORIGINAL transistors and the circuit and case is as dead on as it gets. No current production fuzz rite has the originals. [thumbup]

They are silicon, but here's the magic - They are the ORIGINAL transistors and the circuit and case is as dead on as it gets. No current production fuzz rite has the originals. [thumbup]

Nice. There was a period where Mosrite built the silicon model on the perfboard from the Ge version using Si transistors. This is the one with the TZ-82 transistors that you're talking about. The one that I have has the sprague module where the whole circuit is encapsulated in one component, so no way to tell the exact part number of the transistors in this version. The Ge version that I have uses RCA 2N2614, which are also found in the FZ-1A

Here are the insides of my Si model.

6C330772-1285-473C-9BA7-5D46BA2103EB_zpspzdxjmuk.jpg

Who doesn't love the Gibson FZ-1A too! I also have one of those in my arsenal - So many cool pedals so little time [omg][thumbup]

Yeah the FZ-1A was the first vintage fuzz that I bought and it got me pretty hooked. I have a lot of specialty parts to build really accurate clones but I like to have the original version as a reference

499D1D80-A1CB-4264-8CD3-2DCBE55300C8_zpsrsrkqqfp.jpg

I'm a big Ventures fan too. Nokie's sound is awesome, not only the clean sound, but also the fuzz sound. I got this pedal which sounds almost identical to Nokie's fuzz sound and it is way too cool to play with

C4876C11-4200-485C-87E1-E9D79CB7495A_zpseorifoja.jpg

Beautiful! I am jealous that you have the original UFO knobs. Are they metal or plastic?

They are metal.

The good news is that the version that we both have happens to be considered the best sounding version of the Fuzzrite. So you're still really lucky to have that thing!

My Si Fuzzrite/Foxey Lady has a broken original knob that I somewhat crudely superglued back together, so I feel your pain.. Can't find an original replacement for that either

Archived