Gibson Brands Forums

New Pedals

zigzag

I just ordered a couple of new pedals- a Dunlop Cry Baby 535Q and a Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker. I'm gonna combine that with a HardWire DL-8 delay pedal, and I may add an MXR Phase 90. I'm going to use those pedals with an original Mesa Express 5:50 which has an FX loop capability. This will be my setup for a while, although I'm considering adding a Fulltone OCD overdrive pedal at some point. Any recommendations on pedal order and whether it would be a good idea to use the FX option in some way?

Congrats on your pedals, I'm just starting experimenting with pedals. I have 3 and was disappointed at first with them, couldn't hear the difference for awhile till I started switching the order and when I put the cable jacks in the upper jack of the pedals they finally came to life. Still learning from you guys.

I've had a variety of pedals for a long time, but never really used more than the delay pedal and the amp reverb. I'm more a jazz guy, so I've played mostly clean. I've decided I want the versatility and tone modification that I can get with pedals, but my old pedals don't have true bypass (and sound like crap), so some of these new pedals are upgrades. I realize the Phase 90 doesn't have true bypass, and doesn't do much for me anyway, and I may not use it at all.

1478055261[/url]' post='1809656']

I've had a variety of pedals for a long time, but never really used more than the delay pedal and the amp reverb. I'm more a jazz guy, so I've played mostly clean. I've decided I want the versatility and tone modification that I can get with pedals, but my old pedals don't have true bypass (and sound like crap), so some of these new pedals are upgrades. I realize the Phase 90 doesn't have true bypass, and doesn't do much for me anyway, and I may not use it at all.

Hi Zigzag. Didn't think I would ever say this since I don't care much for strats but I'm learning the Ventures "Walk Don't Run" and the teacher has a strat with vibrato arm and I just love that clean surf sound. Can't get it out of my Les Paul so I may be looking at some Fenders. Lol

The delay and phaser should definitely go through the FX loop. The Crybaby should go through the front of the amp before anything else, except maybe a tuner pedal if you use one. I would put the overdrive next through the front and then the Big Muff (assuming its a fuzz pedal). There are some differing opinions on where to put fuzz pedals in the chain, so you might need to experiment with that one.

Hi Zigzag. Didn't think I would ever say this since I don't care much for strats but I'm learning the Ventures "Walk Don't Run" and the teacher has a strat with vibrato arm and I just love that clean surf sound. Can't get it out of my Les Paul so I may be looking at some Fenders. Lol

I'm a big Ventures fan too. Nokie's sound is awesome, not only the clean sound, but also the fuzz sound. I got this pedal which sounds almost identical to Nokie's fuzz sound and it is way too cool to play with

C4876C11-4200-485C-87E1-E9D79CB7495A_zpseorifoja.jpg

I just ordered a couple of new pedals- a Dunlop Cry Baby 535Q and a Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker. I'm gonna combine that with a HardWire DL-8 delay pedal, and I may add an MXR Phase 90. I'm going to use those pedals with an original Mesa Express 5:50 which has an FX loop capability. This will be my setup for a while, although I'm considering adding a Fulltone OCD overdrive pedal at some point. Any recommendations on pedal order and whether it would be a good idea to use the FX option in some way?

I'm not a fan of FX loops but your mileage may vary. Usually people just use them for delay or modulation type effects

You may prefer the crybaby before or after the overdrive or big muff. There's no rule there. It is a dramatically different sound each way so try both. I tend to prefer the wah after the dirt/fuzz

Overdrive before or after the big muff is subjective too. I kinda like overdrive/boost before the big muff.

Generally the phaser will come after the dirt/fuzz and wah, and then the delay will be last in the chain

The delay and phaser should definitely go through the FX loop. The Crybaby should go through the front of the amp before anything else, except maybe a tuner pedal if you use one. I would put the overdrive next through the front and then the Big Muff (assuming its a fuzz pedal). There are some differing opinions on where to put fuzz pedals in the chain, so you might need to experiment with that one.

Thanks, bud, that's what I wanted to know. I have the delay pedal thru the FX now, and it definitely brings out the best in that pedal. I wasn't sure if I needed to leave it there once I add other effects. I'm just gonna have to see if there is any need for an overdrive pedal with that fuzz pedal. I'm going for a John Scofield kind of tone, so I won't be blowing it out of the water.

I realize that I need to experiment, but I'm not really a dabbler. There is a lot I can do to improve my tone, so I wanted to get some feedback from people with more experience.

1478060429[/url]' post='1809675']

I'm a big Ventures fan too. Nokie's sound is awesome, not only the clean sound, but also the fuzz sound. I got this pedal which sounds almost identical to Nokie's fuzz sound and it is way too cool to play with

Thanks, I wrote it down and will check it out. I have played with amp settings and can get a clean sound on the LP. Takes some playing with though.

zigzag,

I owned the Dunlop Crybaby 535Q. It is surely the best of the wah pedals, ever.

I really do like the tone shaping, and the 'boost' button on the side is really, really handy!

Sadly, I had to sell mine last year, at a point in time when I was hurting for money.

The good news is, I sold it to a good friend who really appreciates it.

:)

I got rid of my Strat, because even when I modified it with Dimarzio Virtual Vintage pickups, I just couldn't bond. I love the sound of my Tele for the right stuff, and I have a Modern Player Jaguar with P-90s that I love, but I am mainly a humbucker player. I just don't get into those thin, glassy tones, even with warmer versions.

I learned Walk Don't Run back when I was a kid in the '60s (I'm also 63) and I'll still break into it in fits of insanity, along with Pipeline and a few D!ck Dale gems. (That reminds me... I should look into a good tremolo pedal.)

And sparquelito, I've had the original Cry Baby for decades, but it doesn't have true bypass, and really sucks the tone.

I got rid of my Strat, because even when I modified it with Dimarzio Virtual Vintage pickups, I just couldn't bond. I love the sound of my Tele for the right stuff, and I have a Modern Player Jaguar with P-90s that I love, but I am mainly a humbucker player. I just don't get into those thin, glassy tones, even with warmer versions.

I learned Walk Don't Run back when I was a kid in the '60s (I'm also 63) and I'll still break into it in fits of insanity, along with Pipeline and a few D!ck Dale gems. (That reminds me... I should look into a good tremolo pedal.)

And sparquelito, I've had the original Cry Baby for decades, but it doesn't have true bypass, and really sucks the tone.

It's really easy to change the crybaby to true bypass if you know how to solder. Let me know if you want some help with that

The Ventures mainly used Mosrite guitars of course

The Keeley Custom Shop whipped out a handful of these awhile back & I grabbed one up immediately. LOve these! :o

fuzzrite.jpg

It's really easy to change the crybaby to true bypass if you know how to solder. Let me know if you want some help with that.

Too late. The 535Q showed up today, and it has true bypass. Thanks, anyway.

There is one or more U-Tube posts featuring John Scofield explaining his fx chain.... [thumbup]

I use a Boss ME70 in front of the amp...that seems to take care of most things in a logical way...

Also the Roland Cube and JC series satisfy many guitarists with their superb chorus and delay built in....

V

:-({|=

The Keeley Custom Shop whipped out a handful of these awhile back & I grabbed one up immediately. LOve these! :o

fuzzrite.jpg

Are those silicon or germanium? The Mosrite that I have in the picture is one of the early germanium models and it sounds pretty amazing. I also have an original silicon one, but it is branded for Guild instead of Mosrite (has the Sprague Mosrite capsule circuit inside)

There is one or more U-Tube posts featuring John Scofield explaining his fx chain.... [thumbup]

Also the Roland Cube and JC series satisfy many guitarists with their superb chorus and delay built in....

:-({|=

Yes, after I posted the first post, I looked at his youtube and noticed that he doesn't even have a fuzz box on his pedal board. Interesting, because that is what I think I hear in most of his stuff.

And

Yes, I own a Roland Cube 80XL, and I like the effects/modeling. I like the Mesa, too, a lot, but for different reasons. Of course the Mesa uses tubes, but I also like its reverb effect and distortion channels better than the Cube. Both have very nice, and very different, clean sounds. And the HardWire delay pedal with the Mesa is far superior to the Roland delay. I also like that I can loop the Roland in near 2 minute segments, and layer them. They are both amazing amps for what they do.

It's really easy to change the crybaby to true bypass if you know how to solder. Let me know if you want some help with that

The Ventures mainly used Mosrite guitars of course

And there are a few simple parts swaps that will enhance its quack too!

And there are a few simple parts swaps that will enhance its quack too!

I have a few wahs and I like the sound of the crybaby I got from LPguitarman which has the "trashcan" inductor. It's very smooth and mellow, sounds great from heel down to toe down where I normally have to avoid the toe down position on most wahs. Only problem with that one is that it has a scratchy pot and it's one of the sealed Allen Bradley pots.

Haven't tinkered around with any wahs yet believe it or not (except for envelope filters). I guess the cost of the enclosures has prevented me from diving in, yet I've "invested" several thousand buckaroos on transistors and caps for fuzz builds so I guess that's where my heart is :)

While we're on the subject, have you started that MKII yet? I hope you dig that thing, the tranny set sounded really nice on my breadboard

While we're on the subject, have you started that MKII yet? I hope you dig that thing, the tranny set sounded really nice on my breadboard

I have not. It's near the top of my list though. We had a hurricane to live through and I've been doing a lot of guitar repair/setup work for a client with a lot of guitars. As soon as I get free time that build will happen!

I have not. It's near the top of my list though. We had a hurricane to live through and I've been doing a lot of guitar repair/setup work for a client with a lot of guitars. As soon as I get free time that build will happen!

So I'll be another client with a lot of guitars when I move down there?

rct

Archived