Gibson Brands Forums

Song of the Week

Buc McMaster

Being a Texan, you'd think I'd be steeped in Towne's music..........not the case. Not much exposure at all, but Lars' thread this morning sent me in search of, and I found this one. Simple to play, simple to sing...........perfect Song of the Week contender. Haven't had one of these in awhile, so all you brave, fearless souls grab your guitar and give it a go. I'm reading the lyrics for this.....you can too! Easy I-IV-V progression with that 6th chord in there that adds some tension before the resolution of the 5th. Simple lyrics stating a simple truth.........good songwriting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQwg47yNB_A

Same recording setup: iMovie, Blue mic.

What a spectacular mid-afternoon treat that was, Buc! Thanks for sharing that one- I'd not heard that one, but just bars into it- your voice and that material made me feel the familiar Townes-ian jolt.

You could probably make a living off his stuff, come to think of it.

A number of years ago, I think several of us had runs at TVZ tunes--there's a thread out there somewhere, I suspect.

Anyhoo- thanks again.

Beautiful song and very well done, Buc! You do Townes justice, that's for sure.

Lars

By the way, I have a duet version of this song done by Townes and a female singer, whose name has slipped my mind, which is extraordinary.

Ah, found it:

Nicely done, Buckaroo. One of the best songs ever written in my view. You do it "justice." I sincerely enjoy listening to you. Townes was simplicity at its best. I like his "live" albums best. On one of his albums recorded at The Old Quarters, he's pretty much stoned or drunk, but because it's Townes it makes it even more real. You don't just hear his sorrow, you feel it. He lived a rough life and it shows in his music. Never a pretty boy and never "spit and polished," but always real. Townes, Guy Clark, and Jerry Jeff Walker: three gems to come out of Texas. [thumbup]

Almost forget this funny story about Townes Van Zandt. If I recall correctly, Jerry Jeff Walker told it in an interview back in the 70's.......Townes' had been struggling as a songwriter for several years and his wife had about "had it." She told him it was time get serious and write something that could make them some money so they could finally settle-down and be a family or else go out and get a real job. He told her he would and that he loved her more than anything and appreciated her sticking with him. Anyway, he locked himself away in the bedroom for three days and wrote one of his better-known songs. When he came out with the song she was thinking he'd likely written a love song about himself and her. The song he wrote was "Waitin' Around to Die." A song about his alcohol and drug addictions.....Anyway, it was funny-as-hell hearing it told.

Edit:

Buc, I had a song posted here, but I just took it down. I really wanted to do this song, but realized I couldn't do it justice. It is one thing to make a mess of my own songs, but it didn't feel right to do it to Townes van Zandt, and his beautiful song. Sorry about that!

Lars

By the way Buc, your version is wonderful.

Ok I'll play

Can't leave buc hanging

Magic! That was beautiful. I like the atmoshpere you created with your guitar parts. My guitar refuses to do that. Need to buy a new one [biggrin]

If my version above is a run down country church about to fall apart, yours is a cathedral.

Lars

Well alright! Lars and Grunt got the fingerpicking thing going on that, to my thinking, suits the tune better than what I can do with it. I've recently attempted to work on some digit plucking but. alas, seems you can't teach an old dog new tricks..............I'm stuck with the pick.

Thanks for jumping in guys! [thumbup]

Well alright! Lars and Grunt got the fingerpicking thing going on that, to my thinking, suits the tune better than what I can do with it. I've recently attempted to work on some digit plucking but. alas, seems you can't teach an old dog new tricks..............I'm stuck with the pick.

Thanks for jumping in guys! [thumbup]

If you practice fingerpicking, I'll start practicing ending songs on the correct chord [biggrin]

Lars

Hi everybody, sorry for being late, but I had to learn this one first, well still pretty sloppy playing and singing.

Thanks to Buc for making me learn a good song, really enjoyed that one. Even realized I had this song on record.

... sorry about the sound quality, had no time for a real recording set up, so I used music memo on my Iphone. I played in our living room, which has a really nice big sound, since we took down the wallpaper and I layed out a new wood floor. Anyways, this new acoustic seems to be a bit overwhelming for the Iphone.

Best part of the recording comes at the very end of the track [love]

Great job, Johnny, and a superb ending [biggrin]

You guys are all so talented! My version is not even worthy of being in the same thread as yours, but I'm paying attention, and listening carefully in hope that at least a hint of your magic will eventually come my way.

Thanks to all for showing how its done!

Lars

Thanks guys

Great job, Johnny, and a superb ending [biggrin]

You guys are all so talented! My version is not even worthy of being in the same thread as yours, but I'm paying attention, and listening carefully in hope that at least a hint of your magic will eventually come my way.

Thanks to all for showing how its done!

Lars

Lars, what did you expect? I belong to the superrace.

no serious,

I'm not that talented at all, I just started playing guitar at the age of 9, I'd say I should be a much better with 33 years of practicing under my belt, but I'm not. But sometimes I realize that I really do get better, and that's what its all about.

I tend to think you're on a similar journey, so your version absolutely has its place here. And yes, this forum is a place of inspiration [thumbup]

Hi everybody, sorry for being late, but I had to learn this one first, well still pretty sloppy playing and singing.

Thanks to Buc for making me learn a good song, really enjoyed that one. Even realized I had this song on record.

... sorry about the sound quality, had no time for a real recording set up, so I used music memo on my Iphone. I played in our living room, which has a really nice big sound, since we took down the wallpaper and I layed out a new wood floor. Anyways, this new acoustic seems to be a bit overwhelming for the Iphone.

https://soundcloud.c...-in-the-morning

This sounds like Townes himself...including the recording quality. You make the song sound like it did the day he was writing it...great job. (Haha--great ending! [thumbup])

https://soundcloud.c...-in-the-morning

This sounds like Townes himself...including the recording quality. You make the song sound like it did the day he was writing it...great job. (Haha--great ending! [thumbup])

Archived