Gibson Brands Forums

Rosewood Restriction

JuanCarlosVejar

Starting Jan 2017 there will be tough restrictions placed on the import and export of all rosewood, which is now considered an endangered species.

A quote from MusicTrades..

"Bob Taylor, president of Taylor Guitars, is in of favor the new regulations but also acknowledges that the additional permitting requirements will add to guitar makers’ costs. “The whole point of this listing is to hamper business, which will hopefully hamper cutting,” he says. “It’s the best plan I can think of to slow down the cutting, and especially the illegal cutting. Guitars still will flow, but the added documentation will make it harder. My sense is that for more expensive guitars there may be enough profit to pay for the permits, but cheaper guitars may not be worth the trouble. It could mean those guitars will now be made from other timbers.”"

JC

Ovation have started up again($$$$$)....Carbon guitars are quite common and fairly price.

Maybe Gibson will bring back the J-25 oil can!

On another note, solid rosewood, Mahogany, spruce, and maple guitars are now pouring

out of China at an astonishing rate. No wonder tonewood has become endangered.

I guess Martin will take the biggest hit from this ...

JC

I wouldn't be too worried, this is just Bob Taylor trying to start up fear mongering yet again. Wasn't he the one that stated all legal ebony sources were depleted and the only legal North American stock of ebony was owned by Taylor guitars.

Archived